VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 10, 2010, 07:09 PM

I'm so looking forward to this one. I'm sad that 7th Dragon didn't get one, aside from the piano and strings album. I can't wait to see the guest arrangers this time!
Old Feb 10, 2010, 07:55 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Some new [H.] is all I ask for.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
Some new [H.] is all I ask for.
There's nothing wrong with that! I wonder if it'll be Mitsuyoshi himself (like in the first one) or other members of H. (like in the second one). Either way, H. is a winner in my book!
Old Feb 11, 2010, 02:20 AM

Location: Heaven? No no, what's that other place that starts with H? Oh yes, home. :-)

I'm looking forward to this one as well. I liked the first two Super Arrange albums, hopefully this will be equal or better.

One man was smart, he felt smart. Two men were smart, they smelt farrr...darn it! I'll never get it right.

What is "the box" that people are supposed to think outside of anyway? Hmm. Maybe it's similar to the Borg from Star Trek who dwelled as a collective hive-mind within a...box/cube. Those that deviated from this hive-mind would, in effect, be thinking outside of the box. it has both a figurative and a literal meaning.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:57 AM

Hopefully more divine Rebecca Evans!
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:25 AM

Pretty sure I got all this correct, but can someone double check. Got everything based off of this page:

http://5pb.jp/records/release/detail...code=VGCD-0189

This has truly made my day. Surprised at the choice of arrangers this time around, but at the same time, I'm loving it.

Last edited by Don; Apr 15, 2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
This has truly made my day. Surprised at the choice of arrangers this time around, but at the same time, I'm loving it.
Basiscape is handling the entire arranged album and neither Sakimoto nor Iwata are anywhere to be found? I boycott this CD.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:49 AM

They are the weakest links, goodbye .
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
They are the weakest links, goodbye .
I had a comeback but then I remembered that Stewie said it best.

I guess it's just kinda baffling that they'd pass up an opportunity to arrange some Koshiro. If I were a talented musician (I am not), I'd wanna do the whole arranged album by myself. Forget sharing or delegating it out to my employees, it's Koshiro we're talking about here! Their discographies do not lie.. Yuzo Koshiro and Hitoshi Sakimoto are both legends when it comes to VGM. These other Basiscape people are.. well.. not even close.

This will make an interesting future interview question for Sakimoto! Would have been awesome to hear one legend arrange another, and then maybe somewhere down the road, vice versa. The only excuse I'll take from Sakimoto is that he's busy working on the fully orchestrated score for Vagrant Story 2...
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:01 PM

If the arranger line-up is made up of more ambitious artists, I for one don't see what's wrong with it. One's legendary status as a composer doesn't guarantee a high standard of living. I have an impression Iwata often takes a conservative direction in arranging, and if not it's uninspiring anyway. As for Sakimoto, something like "Eyes on Me" from this album is my thing but I know many people saying it sucks

I'd rather be baffled by the fact Sakimoto's name is still there (as a supervisor) presumably for publicity, despite his little involvement.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
If the arranger line-up is made up of more ambitious artists, I for one don't see what's wrong with it. One's legendary status as a composer doesn't guarantee a high standard of living.
That was just my polite way of saying that I think most of those "other" Basiscape members' compositions and arrangements are usually rather boring and uninspired. Deltora Quest and Grim Grimoire are shining examples of what I mean by this. The tracks by Sakimoto and Iwata are the only ones that really stand out to me, everything else just sounds like filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
As for Sakimoto, something like "Eyes on Me" from this album is my thing but I know many people saying it sucks
Nice example of my legend arranging legend scenario! I completely agree by the way, that version of "Eyes on Me" is beautifully done. I think a lot of people just don't like those Melody Of Legend albums overall, not necessarily just that particular track. Both of those CDs are pure awesome though if you ask me. Mitsuda's arrangement of "Melodies of Life" on Chapter of Dream is also quite excellent.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:43 PM

I agree that when those members try to emulate Sakimoto (like those two examples you gave yourself (Grim Grimoire, Deltora Quest), they are boring, but given to their own devices (Opoona, many unpublished works, CAVE albums), those compositions are where these composers tend to shine.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:56 PM

Also, interesting note. There may be an error in the tracklisting (official) because the sample for track 6 clearly is the theme "Battlefield - That Fresh Blood is Thine or the Enemy's" and not the one listed officially.

EDIT: WHoops, Looks like I made a mistake when matching up the tracks the first time. Fixed!

Last edited by Don; Apr 15, 2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkluv View Post
Dammit! Hey, who knows, maybe Azusa's got a really lovely voice!
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:03 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
I agree that when those members try to emulate Sakimoto (like those two examples you gave yourself (Grim Grimoire, Deltora Quest), they are boring, but given to their own devices (Opoona, many unpublished works, CAVE albums), those compositions are where these composers tend to shine.
I was relieved to hear these samples because precisely they didn't try to emulate Sakimoto. But apparently, Sakimoto is aware of this issue and he has tried to address it.

In this interview with Kikuta, he said:

Quote:
Sakimoto: [speaking about his session at the GDC last year] The point I tried to get across is that it's important to cultivate your own personality and distinguish your own unique characteristics as musician. It's a relevant issue, don't you think? If you try to write in some other musician's style, you won't be able to improve upon it just through imitation. You would be much better off looking to discover something unique for yourself.

Kikuta: Isn't that something that comes through naturally?

Sakimoto: For some people, yes. However, we have about eight composers at Basiscape, and the less experienced musicians have a difficult time with this problem. Personally I had never thought about it much until recently.

Kikuta: Do you think maybe you intimidate them with your prodigious success and talents?

Sakimoto: I'm not so sure it's that exactly, but when I found out about this trouble they were having, the problem of discovering their voice, I spent hours and hours with them, trying to figure out a solution to the issue. That personal struggle actually motivated me to speak in public.
It may also be the reason why he didn't want to participate in the arrangements?
Old Apr 25, 2010, 09:08 PM

Probably has to do with money and time. I doubt they're making a lot of money on this project, and Sakimoto is likely busy with bigger projects.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 11:19 PM

Location: Heaven? No no, what's that other place that starts with H? Oh yes, home. :-)

Quote:
Hmm. I don't mind her singing and all but sometimes the lyrics sounded a little cheesy.

One man was smart, he felt smart. Two men were smart, they smelt farrr...darn it! I'll never get it right.

What is "the box" that people are supposed to think outside of anyway? Hmm. Maybe it's similar to the Borg from Star Trek who dwelled as a collective hive-mind within a...box/cube. Those that deviated from this hive-mind would, in effect, be thinking outside of the box. it has both a figurative and a literal meaning.
Old May 13, 2010, 03:13 PM

Can one of the staff members remove the booklet pages 1-6 that are not rotated correctly? I forgot to do it before I uploaded. D'oh!
Old May 14, 2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Dammit! Hey, who knows, maybe Azusa's got a really lovely voice!
Was only a joke, but hey! There ARE some vocals on tracks 3 and 13. And they're lovely.
Old May 14, 2010, 12:10 PM

Given the booklet credits no vocalist, the vocals in both of her arrangements may very well be her own.
Old May 20, 2010, 03:47 PM
Trusted Editor

I really like this arrange album, and that's pretty surprising (even for me *g*), since:
- I can't stand the chiptune sound of the 'Sekaiju no MeiQ' series at all
- Basiscape usually does _nothing_ for me: Oboromuramasa... boring, 'Valkyria Chronicles 2'... sounds too much like the first game

The third track is my favorite, but the whole album is pretty good - nice flow, you can constantly listen for 55:56 and it never gets boring.

@Basiscape team: nice work!