VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 14, 2010, 06:41 PM

Can someone please finish the translations for this? I'm near worthless when it comes to freehand.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 07:45 PM

I can't help with the translations, but I added some scans of the album.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
I can't help with the translations, but I added some scans of the album.
Thanks.

!!

Based on your scans, could it be that T. Osada is either Kenji Inaba or Ryoji Yoshitomi? They're both under Special Thanks [with Hirokazu Tanaka, no less], so I think they're both in the running.

EDIT:

Saw that Inaba was actually a supervisor for quite a few other albums (ex. http://vgmdb.net/album/289, http://vgmdb.net/album/522, and http://vgmdb.net/album/132). I now put all my faith in Ryoji, who, as we know, is no stranger to Game Boy music.

EDIT2 (01/09): Tanaka only handled sound effects and programming for Golf, meaning that "Times," the person who gave notes for Golf, must be Ryoji Yoshitomi (as in Times Osada). Yumiko Kanki, who is listed with Tanaka in the Golf section, is not listed in Special Thanks despite contributing to the notes, therefore he must not have done music; only sound effects.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Jan 9, 2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 02:46 AM
VGMdb Staff

The old GMR reported this tracklist that should be more correct:

01 Main BGM Medley (Main BGM 1~2)
02 Underground BGM
03 Shooting Stage BGM
04 Chai Kingdom Theme
05 Ending Medley (Tatanga's Theme ~ Princess Daisy's Theme ~ Staff Roll)
06 GOLF BGM Medley ... *See below for full title
07 BGM 1 (TYPE A) Korobeiniki (Russian Folk Song)
08 BGM 2 (TYPE B) 2:25
09 BGM 3 (TYPE C) Menuet 1 (French Suite / J.S. Bach)
10 BGM 1 (TYPE A) (Initial Version) ... *See below for full title
11 Pursuit (Great Dark Star Torino Stage 1~3)
12 Fight (Torino Battle Stage 4~6)
13 Return (Mother Atena Ending)

*Track 6 full title: GOLF BGM Medley (Title ~ Command Select ~ Demo Message ~ Main BGM ~ Bunker Shot ~ Putting ~ High Score)
*Track 10 full title: BGM 1 (TYPE A) (Initial Version) ~ Ending Collection Trepak - Russian People's Dance (The Nutcracker Suite / P. I. Tchaikovsky)
Old Mar 15, 2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by depa View Post
The old GMR reported this tracklist that should be more correct
Thanks depa

EDIT: All done.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Mar 15, 2010 at 07:22 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:34 AM
VGMdb Staff

It's debatable how we should regard Hip Tanaka's contributions to the Game Boy version of Tetris. As far as I can know the game features - apart from the three tunes known as Type A, Type B and Type C - the "name entry" theme, which I don't otherwise recognize, and the "rocket demo" theme, which is (hilariously) just a loop of the first few seconds from the Super Mario Land ending theme.

Types A and C are essentially Gameboy-ifications of folk/classical pieces and can hardly even be considered arrangements. Type B is the same tune as BGM 2 from the NES version, but I'm not quite sure of its origin since I haven't played any of the other (previous) releases of the game. It doesn't seem to be widely recognized as a folk or classical piece like the other two, though.

edit: Beautiful scans by the way, Crash. Lovin' the Super Mario Land artwork <3

Last edited by seanne; Mar 15, 2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:49 PM

Despite the origins of these songs, Tetris Holding LLC holds a sound trademark on them, so Hirokazu Tanaka (and all other Tetris composers) were free to do whatever they wished with them. New compositions that include the original in its structure? Arrangements of these classics? It's all covered under that TM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korobei...cover_versions

Besides, Kei is the arranger for this album, so Hirokazu Tanaka has to be in the composers field in order to be sensible to the album's structure.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Mar 15, 2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 02:05 PM
VGMdb Staff

I was mainly thinking about whether Tanaka could be considered as having composed the game's original soundtrack - naturally the folk and classical pieces as such are not held under any copyright protection. So unless he composed "Type B/BGM 2" there's only the short "name entry" piece and the 2 second "rocket launch" loop from SML.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 03:06 PM

I stumbled up this disc when looking at some other things; given what I found (well, what I *didn't* find actually) I'm taking that this disc is rather rare? Can anyone give me some info about it. What does this album typically run? I tried doing a search on Yahoo Japan and couldn't find anything.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 05:18 PM

It's not amazingly rare, but it's not easy to find. I think I spent around 8000 yen for a copy 10-15 years ago. You'll probably see a few copies per year pop up on YJA. Personally, I like the album quite a bit: it's similar to Super Mario Land in terms of the sound quality and arrangements.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 07:09 PM

According to aucfan (a YJA archive that I subscribe to), ~2 copies a year on YJA is about right, with an average price around 6000 yen.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 09:18 AM

Thanks for the info. I also see there is the GameBoy Graffiti disc as well. I'll have to keep an eye out. Still, I already have enough things on my want list as it is.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:18 AM
Trusted Editor

Does anyone have this album in complete condition with obi, reg. card etc.? I'd drop some serious cash on it if someone can get this for me. Haven't seen it for sale in a while
Old Aug 27, 2020, 06:10 AM
Trusted Editor

Now looking for the spine card of this release. If you've got it for sale please contact me. Will pay good money for it =)
Old May 6, 2021, 06:25 PM

I will also drop a significant amount for this soundtrack.