VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 29, 2008, 02:30 PM

People have been wondering about this release. Just got off the phone with JMP and he said he's never announced a release date for the album. It definitley will not be coming out on the previously listed 09/15/08 release date, so I moved it to 12/31/08.

Perhaps this and other projects like this that have had indefinite release dates might suggest we need a "pending" release date option?
Old Aug 29, 2008, 05:28 PM
VGMdb Advisor

That's weird, people who preordered this (Me included) got this email awhile back

Quote:
Dear PLAY! Fan,

Thank you for ordering the PLAY! Live CD and bonus DVD!

The release was scheduled for the beginning of July, but has been delayed because of the tremendous amount of material being put into this release. The recording is now finalized, and will go into production. We can guarantee that your copy will be the first, and fresh from the factory! To listen to previews of some of the tracks, please go to: http://playshop.playevent.no/catalog...products_id=28

The CD will be released by 15th September. Pre-ordered customers will receive the record as soon as it is available before this date. Any costumers wishing to cancel their order are welcome to do so, and will be reimbursed in total.

As a extra service to you, we offer the freight of one disc up to (3) three discs, until the 15th of August. In addition, we extend our 35(dollar) offer to the same date.

For news on the show check the PLAY! website; www.play-symphony.com.

We look forward to sending you your copy of this extraordinary recording.

We wish you a pleasant day!

All the best,
PLAY! Symphony Webshop
Old Aug 29, 2008, 06:13 PM

Strange indeed! Let's see how he responds to that one!
Old Aug 30, 2008, 04:48 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Love how it says fresh from the factory

Makes me want to eat the cd with cookie sprinkles when i get it
Old Nov 1, 2008, 09:16 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Anyone know the status of this release? I ordered it from the Play! online shop a month ago, they billed me, but still no word on the release date.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 04:38 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
they billed me, but still no word on the release date.
...Classy...
Old Nov 7, 2008, 04:24 AM

Well, when I attended the concert where the recording was being done, they said the release date would be "late june 2008".

Still, I am not too worried, it's only been four months late. Buysoundtrax often delays my shipments as much as seven months...
Old Nov 7, 2008, 04:27 AM

Also, from the store:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Cho (a customer)
For the Play! show in Alberta, Canada start of next year you can order this CD DVD through Ticketmaster when buying your ticket. So they are probably going to at least have some made by then (January 9, 2009). If not the list of aggravated customers is definitely going to escalate. I wonder if the event coordinators and ticketmaster even realize that they are offering a product that as of 2 months before the event date has no ETA for release after being delayed by several months.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 12:37 PM

Confirmation from JMP today that it will be available at the Edmonton, Canada performance. Rights issues are sorted out, and the CD is going to press.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 02:38 AM

About damn time.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 01:37 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Curiously, the cover art published in Original Sound Version has Mario and Link... Someone knows if the CD and DVD will have the Nintendo tracks?

Covers:
http://vgmdb.net/db/covers-full.php?id=34253
http://www.originalsoundversion.com/...play_cover.jpg
Old Jan 9, 2009, 04:17 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Got an email that this got shipped today, let's see how it is when it shows up.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 03:54 AM
VGMdb Advisor

PLAY! CD advertisement...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMGGoupD0Zc&fmt=18

Apparently without Nintendo tracks, btw.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 05:42 PM

Heh, yeah, apparently it got "stuck in customs" at the Edmonton show, but good to know that they're finally shipping out. And yeah, sans Nintendo. They wouldn't allow their material to be used.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcubalis View Post
Heh, yeah, apparently it got "stuck in customs" at the Edmonton show, but good to know that they're finally shipping out. And yeah, sans Nintendo. They wouldn't allow their material to be used.
So are you gonna do a review? I eagerly await the final verdict before I drop 35 on a cd that I don't even know the tracklist of.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 01:47 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatcorns View Post
So are you gonna do a review? I eagerly await the final verdict before I drop 35 on a cd that I don't even know the tracklist of.
I don't know if it's the partial or final tracklist, but you can check here:

Tracklist:
PLAY! Opening Fanfare
Commodoro 64-Medley
Castlevania
Sonic the Hedgehog™
Crono Cross®
Silent Hill 2®
Halo®
Kingdom Hearts™
Battlefield Featuring Rony Barrak
World of Warcraft®
The Elder Scrolls® IV: Oblivion™
Guild Wars
Old Jan 17, 2009, 06:09 PM

After quite a bit of searching, I was able to find out the album definitely shipped at least to some customers and even purchased myself a copy on iTunes. I've basically compiled all the basic information on the album and given my early thoughts here. In short, great arrangements, decent selection, under-rehearsed performances, bad recording quality. You can find more information in the album coverage and the concert report on the event itself.

Last edited by Chris; Jan 17, 2009 at 06:25 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 06:43 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I got it today, haven't listened yet, why is there a Commodore 64 medley but no Amiga medley, they play that every concert?
Old Jan 17, 2009, 07:15 PM

Well, I'm pretty sure both Lost Odyssey and Amiga medley weren't omitted for copyright reasons. I think it was more the fact the CD couldn't fit more in. The C64 and Amiga medleys were both pretty special items at the concert so it's pity both couldn't be recorded. I find the C64 medley to be one of the worst items on the CD though. The Great Giana Sisters sounds feeble compare to the similar Symphonic Shades version.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 01:39 PM

Hehe, we'll get our review up if/when the album arrives! I was starting to think that maybe they hadn't even shipped, as we were supposed to get our review copy early. Good to know that it's at least out there now.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 12:11 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Well, I'm pretty sure both Lost Odyssey and Amiga medley weren't omitted for copyright reasons. I think it was more the fact the CD couldn't fit more in. The C64 and Amiga medleys were both pretty special items at the concert so it's pity both couldn't be recorded. I find the C64 medley to be one of the worst items on the CD though. The Great Giana Sisters sounds feeble compare to the similar Symphonic Shades version.
It's also a shame that "The Revenge of Shinobi Suite" was ommited.
Interestingly, I noted that the C64 Medley of PLAY! don't have "Shades" like in Fifth Symphonic Game Music Concert...

"Commodore 64 Medley" (PLAY!)
"Commodore 64 Medley" (FSGMC)
Old Jan 22, 2009, 05:39 PM

The medleys were slightly different and basically refined for the Fifth Symphonic Game Music Concert. Not sure why JMP chose to use the original version, but it'd still be fantastic were it performed well. Comparing Great Giana Sisters on this and Symphonic Shades is just cringe-worthy.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 11:17 AM

I was rather disappointed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepak's review at Play site
At seven months too late, the CD/DVD combo finally arrived.

About the only thing that I can't fault is the booklet - detailed, colorful, with information about both the performing artists and the game music itself.

The rest is more of a hit and miss: The CD is 74 minutes long and unfortunately omits some key material (e.g. Amiga suite). The performances are OK, though they lack the force of the live event (I_was_there_ when this CD was being recorded, I _know_). The Commodore 64 Medley seems particularly weak when compared to all-synth efforts from C64audio.com and their friends (e.g. the Press Play On Tape band). I can't help but regret that such a large portion of the CD is filled with music which is available in pretty much the same form on other CDs (World of Warcraft, Halo).

It came as a huge surprise that the CD is in fact a CD-R. I thought it looked cheap and now I know why - it's just a CD-R (Moser Baer India) with a printed label, nothing more.

It's even worse with the DVD - it is also a recordable, not a pressed disc, and at slightly under 21 minutes (900 MB) a major disappointment. It doesn't even contain a menu! I find the note on the back cover that "the main reason of the recording was for audio and not video" - that's not what I was told when I inquired at the event. I can only speculate that the mishandling of promotion of the event and resulting low attendance (in the end the concert was free and _still_ the hall wasn't even quarter-full) forced Play to switch from the original "DVD video with a music CD as a bonus" to "A music CD with a DVD video bonus".

Overall, this is a major disappointment. Of the twelve tracks, only three are worth having and AFAIK impossible to get elsewhere (Opening Fanfare, Battlefield [with Rony Barrak, whose performance was a great deal more satisfying live than on this CD], Oblivion) and one so-so (Commodore 64 Medley). At $35 price tag it would be expensive even as a professionally created product, and in the form of CDR/DVDR, it is decidedly overpriced. I am sorry, but I can't recommend this CD :-((