VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Oct 6, 2020, 12:30 PM
Trusted Editor

- Add & linked additional artists and info from inserts
- Added track times from CD source
Old Oct 8, 2020, 09:05 PM

So, why this bad rating if I may ask? Anybody listened it this yet?
Old Oct 8, 2020, 09:17 PM
Trusted Editor

Doesn't really add anything that the OST doesn't already offer. Some of the earlier arrangements on the disc sound like they could be right off the OST itself. Some of the later arrangements where they kind of mashed up or edited arrangements are ok but as a whole the OST is so superbly arranged and performed that you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 06:13 AM
VGMdb Advisor

This was mostly made as the "official CD" to be sold (expensively) during the concert tour.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 07:58 AM

So, in short, I'm better off ordering a copy of the original soundtrack, huh? Poor wallet.
last.fm | Discord: Dark Slayer#8440
Old Oct 9, 2020, 02:36 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanasea View Post
This was mostly made as the "official CD" to be sold (expensively) during the concert tour.
This makes a lot of sense actually.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 04:46 PM

It's just fairly middling. None of the new arrangements improve on anything and most of them are more of the same. I do think some of the performances are outright misses - the battle tracks, particularly.

I don't think 3/5 is "bad" - it's just nothing nobody hasn't heard before and better.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 12:55 AM

I see. So, basically these are just "alternate" or "extended" versions of the existing OST tracks, like from a movie score.

3 out of 5 isn't bad, that's true, but first this album had a 2/5 rating, that's why I asked in the first place. Meanwhile, the rating has raised a little bit, but still feels lackluster.

So, I guess it should consider as a promotional album instead of a stand-alone release. Square Enix's arrangement albums always tend to be a hit or miss (or just a way to make money of course from the die-hard fans)
Old Oct 10, 2020, 04:50 PM

The album is ok, sadly not as colourful as other SQEX orchestra albums, it is a Distant Worlds album in all but title.

The track selection and arrangements are a bit too safe and don't push any boundaries.

Its nice to have is a live performance and I rate the orchestrations, but the arrangement is near exact to what was done better on FFVIIR OST. The percussion was also a little off-putting in places.

It's good to hear Arsenal as a live orchestral track, a personal preference would have been Airbuster's version of Those who fight further.

Tightrope and Arbiter is the only new music that gets any limelight.

I'm personally more excited for the upcoming Acoustic album.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentis View Post

The track selection and arrangements are a bit too safe and don't push any boundaries.

Its nice to have is a live performance and I rate the orchestrations, but the arrangement is near exact to what was done better on FFVIIR OST.
I don't get this attitude. As a classical music lover, it's easy to appreciate different performances of the same music. So what if they are close to the original? Not sure why it's bad that the arrangements are 'safe'.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 06:32 AM

Agreed. I actually wish there were more recordings with different conductors/performances of the same arrangements, with more freedom given to them. As in classical