VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 21, 2009, 06:51 AM

Default Sampling and quotation in video game music

A little project, just for fun, on my site, where I track down VGM with musical quotes from other games or any other unexpected source, as well as the other way around:
http://www.soundshock.se/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=176

Feel free to contribute to the list, here or in my forum. Thanks!
Old Oct 22, 2009, 05:33 AM

Well, almost the entire Drakengard score is comprised of sampled bits of classical music--chopped up, looped, and filtered.

http://vgmdb.net/album/1215
http://vgmdb.net/album/1216
Old Oct 22, 2009, 04:09 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Nice idea, zinger, I'll have to check all of it out!

I've pointed out a few instances in the past where composers have used common sound libraries. Is that outside of the scope of what you're looking for?
Old Oct 23, 2009, 12:54 AM

Well not really actually. It could be interesting I guess, but if you listen to some of our submissions you'll see some very unexpected references. Like how several of the Battle Garegga tracks are pretty much rearrangements of old techno classics. How Dynamite Headdy quotes Jeff Beck in one of the boss battle themes, and that the intro from Phantasy Star IV sounds suspiciously much like an old super-obscure electro song called "The Test". That sort of stuff. Quotations of classical music is not as interesting either for the most part, in my opinion. But just post anything that surprises you, I guess.

Last edited by zinger; Oct 23, 2009 at 12:58 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 02:09 AM

You could have a field day with Earthbound. If songs aren't being directly sampled, then they're being musically parodied... I'm sure everyone knows about Earthbound though :3 wonder if The Beatles ever found out about it... and the countless other artists that got referenced, ha.

Oh, I made these mp3s a couple of years ago, might be sort of interesting/relevant!

http://www.shakal.net/lunar/temp/vgmalikes

1. Sim City vs. Link's Awakening
2. Kaeru no Tameni vs. Link's Awakening
3. Super Mario 64 vs. Donkey Kong Country 3
4. Sonic the Hedgehog MS/GG vs. Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventure
5. Secret of Mana vs. Sakura Relaxation
6. Secret of Mana vs. Sora no Iro Mizu no Iro
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
5. Secret of Mana vs. Sakura Relaxation
6. Secret of Mana vs. Sora no Iro Mizu no Iro
Does it count when composers reference themselves? We could bring a lot of Akari Kaida and Hitoshi Sakimoto into this thread.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 09:29 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Here's a recent case:

This 30 second TV CM (commercial) for an instant noodle 三養ラーメン arranges the main theme melody from Bubble Bobble.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxBGUZJx3-M

Someone mentioned this to Ogura in a tweet, and he replied that he had reported this to Taito already.

"その神経を疑う。
一応、タイトーに報告はしておきました。ま、でも色々と問題の多いお国柄だけに、知らんぷりってとこでしょ うね。。。一部が酷いと全てが酷いレベルだと思ってしまう。そうは思いたくなくてもね。"

Edit: Update from OGR, it seems the company did go through Taito to license the tune, but somehow didn't properly credit it?

"「バブルボブル」の楽曲使用について。 タイトーが正式許諾済みとのこと。しかし、「©TAITO」のクレジットが全くされなかった点については、 かなり以前から申し入れをしていたが、未だに改善されていないようだ、とのことでした。"

Last edited by Carl; Oct 28, 2009 at 06:42 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:03 AM
Trusted Editor

Hikaru Nanase's Assault Landing from Muv-Luv Alternative Original Sound Track Vol.2 is practically the same track as Basil Poledouris' famous Klendathu Drop from the Starship Troopers movie.
The similarities are more than obvious, I guess it's some sort of musical tribute, the game is all about invading aliens as well.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 01:02 PM
VGMdb Staff

The beginning of Soranosuke Hoshikage ~ Aging, Regret, Repay from the first Gyakuten Saiban game reminds me a lot of...something. I was sure I'd heard it before but can't place it.

And while it's not from a game, Sakura from Joe Hisashi's soundtrack to the films 'Dolls' reminds me a lot about something too (Xenogears?).
Old Oct 27, 2009, 05:35 PM

Speaking of Hisaishi, there's a tune in Kiki's Delivery Service which (I gather) Kondo drew direct inspiration from for Zelda's Kakariko Village's music - "Flying Express Delivery Service" - unfortunately I can only find this music box version on youtube, it would be more compelling with the original arrangement. I hope I didn't just imagine all this and there is truth behind it... no source to back it up with at the moment.