VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Closed Thread

Old Nov 11, 2010, 09:30 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrkul View Post
Are we really sure the "most viewed albums" statistics are working correctly ?

I just checked the Most Viewed Albums (Last 30 Days), and the top 30 albums are strangely the 30th first albums of the database alphabetically (if you browse albums at #)

Anything wrong going on?
I investigated this a little bit further, and I've determined that the numbers are coming up correct. Those top alphabetical albums are getting the most views now. My theory is that some automated program is submitting a query and continually returning the first alphabetical results. Prime culprit is probably one of those darn album art grabber apps. Once again, untargeted search messes up another feature.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 04:07 PM

Can't you try to filter them out based on some user agent string matching?
Old Nov 12, 2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
My theory is that some automated program is submitting a query and continually returning the first alphabetical results. Prime culprit is probably one of those darn album art grabber apps. Once again, untargeted search messes up another feature.
A public API would solve this.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearin View Post
I did a couple searches for Gallery, Chrome, etc. Sorry if this is known.

When using the gallery view in what I consider a semi normal manner I find a funny bug. When clicking an image with the magnifying glass to expand, then again to shrink and a third time to re-expand I get this effect.

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/7499/vgmdb.png

Google Chrome 9.0.570.0
Windows 7 32x

I have only seen it on Chrome, Firefox works fine. As a side note the images load slower from the gallery in chrome also.
Same problem with:

Google Chrome 9.0.576.0 beta
Windows 7 32x

A few other Quirks.

Reference shot of Fullscreen:
http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/1...tesvgmdb01.png

Shot of half screen viewing (when you drag a window to an edge it snaps it to half the viewable area of the monitor)
http://img574.imageshack.us/img574/8...tesvgmdb02.png
As can be seen there is no Submit an album or edit your preferences buttons

http://img816.imageshack.us/img816/7...tesvgmdb03.png
To make them appear you have to click in the search bar, hold down the left mouse button and drag down or up, as if an invisible scrollbar exists.

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/3...tesvgmdb04.png
Lastly some of the information, text, etc. Doesn't stay within its boundaries.

For extensions on chrome I have lastpass, google reader notifier, and screen capture

Last edited by Fearin; Nov 13, 2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 04:33 PM

I have no problem on Chrome 7.0.517.44 and Windows 7 64bit. Perhaps could you just use the stable version (7.0), instead of those dev/canary versions? (8.0 and 9.0). What we encounter on a browser under development may not be VGMdb's fault.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 10:58 PM

Uninstalled the dev/canary version, installed the stable build. The expand/close/expand bug is gone.

The rest still exist though.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 06:19 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I just installed Chrome and played around some, but I couldn't reproduce any of these problems. I've got a fairly clean Windows 7 install, and no Chrome extensions, so I don't know what could be causing those issues.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:29 PM

I tried both canary/dev and stable builds, with and without extensions and with different profiles. I don't know what could be the problem either. I got the album gallery to fix and then to break again. It worked fine on original run of the browser after going back to stable, but closing the browser fully and reopening broke it again for me.

The vanishing buttons and extended text may be because of browser size. When snapping my window in half size (drag to far left or right of monitor) auto-resizes it, my monitor is a 1680x1050. From testing it seems that having a horizontal scroll bar means that the buttons, chat and extended text problems creep up.

What seems to be my problem with the buttons and chat vanishing is that when the browser squishes the site to a certain size that they get moved from where they are to being below the rest. I would equate it to word wrap in a text file.

The Extended text at the bottom, it just doesn't seem "attached" to anything so instead of staying on the bottom border like the beta information. When the border grows and shrinks, it just hovers in its position.

I do agree these may just be on my end, but I thought a bit more information may help in reproduction of them if at all possible.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 06:46 PM

http://vgmdb.net/album/22019 <-- there is no way I edit track by track because of a flaw in the php code :/

(what flaw? 01 オープニング:1-M01 <-- interpreted as time I guess)
Old Nov 20, 2010, 07:24 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I added the tracklist for you, circumvented the bug by appending 0:00 after each track title. We'll have to improve our pattern matching, sorry about that.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 07:56 PM

you can probably use some POSIX code with a preg function or something
like " [0-9]:[0-9]" at the end of a trackname line (if you see what I mean?)
Old Nov 25, 2010, 06:34 PM

Under the assign albums action for events it seems to be displaying albums that have no catalog number as having the same catalog number as the album listed above it in the dropdown.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 06:57 PM

I'm curious to know why in "Edit Album Info > Media Information > Format" there is "No Copy Control CD" but no "Copy Control CD"

any reason?
Old Nov 26, 2010, 05:16 AM
VGMdb Administrator

"Cactus Data Shield" and "LabelGate" are the 2 copy control schemes we know about, and they are both in the choice list. If there are others, we can add them to the list.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 08:40 PM

I didn't see a mention if there's a bug or something when trying to only add the length to tracklists. Is adding a tracklist + the length the only way at the moment?
Old Dec 5, 2010, 05:53 AM

There seems to be a problem with the freedb server when retrieving the album year. Several times since a few months ago, all happening on albums that were released this year, 2010, the year retrieved is always 1969.

MAH BOI, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!!
Old Dec 5, 2010, 05:54 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercenary09 View Post
I didn't see a mention if there's a bug or something when trying to only add the length to tracklists. Is adding a tracklist + the length the only way at the moment?
Adding lengths to an existing tracklist works fine for me. The trick is to select "Transfer Length Only" in the selector, then paste in your lengths. However, if the number of tracks in the pasted text does not equal the number of tracks on the disc, it won't work.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:45 AM

I rejected an edit in this album page, but a PM wasn't sent.

http://vgmdb.net/album/14134
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 無題.jpg (67.5 KB, 8 views)
Old Dec 6, 2010, 11:01 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
I rejected an edit in this album page, but a PM wasn't sent.

http://vgmdb.net/album/14134
He turned off receipt of private messages. I've edited his profile to turn it back on, and am sending him a PM.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 12:57 PM
VGMdb Staff

Not a bug, but would it be possible for ones collection page to remember what folders one has contracted/expanded? It would be neat for stuff you want to 'hide' even from yourself, like stuff for sale.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 01:24 PM

I added scans to the Sonic Free Riders page, and for some reason a lot of people are having the pictures come up only as thumbnails when they shouldn't be. (The pictures were quite large when I uploaded them.) I've told the people to try other browsers and it's worked for some and not others.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 04:20 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Thumbnails appears only for unregistered people.
You need to register on vgmdb & be logged in to be able to see full size pictures.
I don't think there is any bug or problem.

Also, if you'r viewing covers directly from the album page with the Gallery mode, you can click on the "zoom", at the bottom right of the picture.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 12:40 AM
VGMdb Administrator

After some fiddling around, I've fixed the Javascript error that occurs in the tracklist editing page for Chrome and Internet Explorer (and maybe Opera?). The quick edit blocks should now propagate changes over to the individual text boxes and vice-versa.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:43 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Scan Metadata Edits and Label Edits doesn't seem to be counted anymore (under My Profile -> VGMdb Submissions tab)
Old Feb 10, 2011, 04:35 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Recently Google has been indexing pages here from 64.131.78.60 which apparently is vgmdb's normal IP.

It's pretty annoying since you get results from both vgmdb.net and the IP.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 04:48 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I've added a htaccess rewrite for the IP.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 09:57 AM

I can't really call these bugs, but they are bothersome.

Searching for something with a specific number with "roman numerals" doest really narrow the field.

Final Fantasy IV: 369 results. Any ways to make the search a bit more definitive?

As a side part it would also be nice if when you misspell a search and end up on the empty page that there be a few links that was close to what was typed.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:24 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearin View Post
Searching for something with a specific number with "roman numerals" doest really narrow the field.

Final Fantasy IV: 369 results. Any ways to make the search a bit more definitive?
It's because the search ignores words under 3 letters (ex: searching for "fantasy VII" will work just fine (even if they also will find ff 8 answers).
It's not really related to roman numbers. But maybe a fix for roman numbers could be added (like being able to search for "ys").
Old Feb 13, 2011, 01:20 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Actually you can search using quotes, ie.- "Final Fantasy IV" will give you ff4 results only.

However if you search for "final fantasy ii" it also includes final fantasy iii. Shouldn't it find only exact matches? Seems a bit counterintuitive.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 02:15 PM
VGMdb Advisor

A way to find only soundtracks related to a certain number, like "VII", is to simply put a space after the number, like so: "Final fantasy VII ". This won't find those albums that doesn't have any words after the number, though..
Closed Thread