VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 20, 2014, 07:43 PM

Bummer, no Simon Viklund Double Impact OST in this compilation? I was hoping for a release of the soundtrack that allows the song to loop (unlike the freebie one that was given out online).
Old Oct 20, 2014, 09:33 PM

Getting this especially for Final Fight on the Super Famicom.

Last edited by Spirit_Chaser; Oct 20, 2014 at 09:35 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 09:51 PM

Thumbs up

Nice. Metro stage theme (Level 2) just started playing in my head.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NukaCola View Post
Bummer, no Simon Viklund Double Impact OST in this compilation? I was hoping for a release of the soundtrack that allows the song to loop (unlike the freebie one that was given out online).
Haha, let's focus on the positive.

Last edited by Chris; Oct 21, 2014 at 02:22 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 07:53 PM

Long overdue release. Never any love for the home versions until now!
Old Oct 22, 2014, 01:23 AM

Glad this includes Final Fight 2 (SFC) due to the potential prospect of *drum roll* composer clarifications. Final Fight Tough is my favourite musically tho!
Old Oct 22, 2014, 02:13 AM
VGMdb Administrator

The only Clarice Disc compilation albums that had composer credits were the Jaleco arcade ones, so I wouldn't get TOO optimistic about there being a breakdown here, unfortunately. I'd sure love to be proven wrong, though! I'm really interested in knowing if Katsunari Kitajima did Final Fight 3 entirely by himself or if there were other composers too, lost in that game's lack of a staff roll.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
Final Fight Tough is my favourite musically tho!
yep. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfoad0P_myw it's all about the breakdown at 0:40!
Old Dec 27, 2014, 05:44 PM

Composer Manami Matsumae tweeted this portion of the collection's liner notes, so we have official composer breakdowns for the first game.

Old Dec 27, 2014, 06:15 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Good freakin' lord, the truth about Final Fight was more complicated than anyone imagined.

How did that game have SIX UNCREDITED COMPOSERS
Old Dec 27, 2014, 06:59 PM

Crazy. So Matsumae was responsible for the two famous themes (Slum 1 & Bay Area 1). And Junko Tamiya was involved. Cool. I can hear it now.

So does this mean we can expect a Final Fight 2 breakdown?
Old Dec 27, 2014, 08:36 PM

HELL YES!!
Old Dec 28, 2014, 01:16 AM
Trusted Editor

Good day to be a Capcom music fan, huh?
Old Dec 28, 2014, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strugglepoo View Post

So does this mean we can expect a Final Fight 2 breakdown?
I predict the ff2 breakdown won't be nearly as interesting. Sounds mostly like a Yamamoto affair.

But breakdowns are always good news!
Old Dec 30, 2014, 04:49 AM

Accidentally stumbled upon this as a recommendation at CD Japan MOMENTS before I would have clicked Buy It Now on eBay. Added the link. Available 1/24/15 there at list price.

Retro Gamer's Top 100 Games of All Time voting now open!
http://www.retrogamer.net/blog_post/...e-voting-open/

Last edited by waxattax; Dec 30, 2014 at 04:52 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident93 View Post
Good day to be a Capcom music fan, huh?
Indeed. Capcom doing good things with game music lately [like that rockman x sound box]. Waiting the composer breakdown for Final Fight 2 and 3...
Old Jan 1, 2015, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
Good freakin' lord, the truth about Final Fight was more complicated than anyone imagined.

How did that game have SIX UNCREDITED COMPOSERS
I'd heard somewhere that the game's soundtrack was originally supposed to be composed solely by Kumi Yamaga, but she left Capcom before doing any real work on the game, and the soundtrack got finished by whoever happened to be available. Though the rumor didn't involve this many composers!

It's certainly odd that they only credited Sakaguchi, and not at the very least Matsumae, who seems to have been effectively the game's main composer. Studio politics, huh?

This makes me wonder about Street Fighter, the only other game where Sakaguchi is credited as the sole composer. Wouldn't surprise me if it turned out that was Ayako Mori's last game before leaving Capcom, or that one of the other late-80s composers had done it as an "audition piece" before officially joining Capcom.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 01:25 AM

Okay, so was the original release date of December mistaken? I noticed it has been changed to 1/24/15. Or was this a timed exclusive and now that the first date has passed we're displaying the second? Regardless, I was certain I'd be paying twice as much for this on eBay since I don't technically have a middleman. Luckily I saw it on CD Japan and then Amazon.co.jp a day later marked down from list price to 5,268 yen on the latter. I quickly clicked 'Add to Cart' and looked for a few others of interest.

Then something strange happened. Three of the six other soundtracks in my cart had gone up in price before I clicked 'Proceed to Checkout' about a week after the initial 'click'. As I finalized the order not only did they instantly go back down to the price they had been a week ago (while remaining the higher price elsewhere on the site) the invoice stated I'll be paying 4,878 yen for the Final Fight Original Sound Collection. Not complaining, mind. Just confused as to what caused this (and looking to repeat it in the future if there's a method to be found here).

Much of this music is going to be new to me. Having played Streets of Rage 2 (Bare Knuckle 2 if you prefer) at a friend's house before owning a Genesis that game's grab mechanic made "passing through" enemies in other games give them an insubstantial feel. This effectively ruined other scrolling fighters for me and after renting Final Fight for my SNES once I never pursued the series. In way though I'm glad. I get to be initiated into the music outside it's era and sans nostalgia. Yet it will take me back, if for the first time, to the glory days of sound chips before CD quality audio ruled the gaming landscape. I'm really looking forward to it! And, man... Thinking of Koshiro's work on SoR2 vgmdb.net/album/33417 just now gets me all riled up for a good ol'-fashioned dance-fight! Anybody wanna dance-fight? Say the word- We'll dance-fight! Dance-dance-PUNCH! Kick-kick-DANCE! Jump up! Get down! Grab aaaannNNNDDDD S-P-E-C-I-A-L M-M-O-O-O-O-V-V-E!!!

But there'll be plenty of time for that later. While I'm here I'd like to inquire about something else if I may: I've read that back in the day Japanese publishing companies required game developers to use monikers instead of their real names. This was reputedly to prevent other publishers from headhunting talent. Is it a similar reason why it can be so difficult to trace works to composers? I mean, more than twenty years later Treasure CEO Masato Maegawa still won't say which of his employees worked on early Castlevania, Contra, etc. games back when they were with Konami, "...out of respect for [said company]." As commendable as it is frustrating.

Last edited by waxattax; Jan 19, 2015 at 03:33 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 12:39 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxattax View Post
OI've read that back in the day Japanese publishing companies required game developers to use monikers instead of their real names.
While I'm not sure if it was ever an official thing, loads of Japanese game companies from the 1980s used this practice.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident93 View Post
While I'm not sure if it was ever an official thing, loads of Japanese game companies from the 1980s used this practice.
Interesting. That was my understanding as well - 'practically' required is what I should have said, or better yet replaced 'required' with 'encouraged' and maybe put a 'highly' in front of that. Doing so would allow more leeway from one situation to the next instead of the "absolute" my phrasing implied. And I chose the singular instance with Treasure because it seemed a pertinent example. And I like everything about them.

So this is at least partly to blame for some albums- namely older ones -going uncredited is what I'm hearing. What are some other reasons? Poor packaging planning? Politics within or between companies? Godzilla?

Last edited by waxattax; Jan 20, 2015 at 03:13 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 03:45 AM

I remember Junko Ozawa saying in Diggin in the Carts documentary was a measure to keep projects secret [like programming or things like that, maybe music too]...at least in Namco. But it seems the other companies shared the same 'ideology' back then
Old Jan 23, 2015, 04:46 AM

Scans are uploaded.
As you can see, the DVD scan looks terrible. This is due to how reflective the middle of the disc is. I would go as far as to say that it is impossible to get a proper scan of this disc. I attempted to take a picture of it, in broad daylight, and even then, the disc reflects back all light making it look black. Only by taking the picture at a slight angle was I able to clearly see Cody's colors. And you can't exactly tilt the light in the scanner. :/
Props to anyone that somehow manages to find a way around this.

Old Jan 23, 2015, 08:03 AM

Thanks for the scans! It's a bummer there aren't any more breakdowns, but what we got was pretty great, and far more than I expected from this set.

I noticed there's quite a lot of commentary in the booklet though. Can anyone check if there's any additional composer information in there? Specifically, I'm interested in finding out who worked on the X68000 and Sega CD versions.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 02:22 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Drum roll...
Spoiler:
Yasuaki Fujita: Final Fight 2 France stage & Italy stage (only).
Toshio Kajino: Final Fight (SFC) + Final Fight Guy music (porting) and SE, Final Fight ONE SE.
Seiko Kobuchi: Final Fight ONE music
Others: the music they did in Final Fight
Not too exciting and no other credits I could see (cool interviews tho).
You could infer none of the people interviewed did the other games since they would have mentioned it I suppose.

Seems like Sakaguchi was supposed to do the music for Final Fight, then called Street Fighter '89 (since he also did the original SF why not that too). But he was super busy and so asked others for help.
I guess they forgot to fix the staff roll?

EDIT:
Setsuo Yamamoto from this interview:
Mighty Final Fight: main (about half with Yuko Takehara) + SE
Final Fight 2: 1 track only
(also SF2 MegaDrive porting, then Rockman X)

Last edited by Dag; Jan 24, 2015 at 01:30 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 06:43 PM
Trusted Editor

Thanks to BoneSatyr, there's more info on composers (sadly no breakdowns):

Mighty Final Fight: Setsuo Yamamoto, Yuko Takehara

Final Fight/Final Fight Guy: Toshio Kajino

Final Fight 2: Yasuaki Fujita, Mari Yamaguchi, Yuki Iwai, Setsuo Yamamoto, Yuuko Takehara, Tatsuya Nishimura

Final Fight Tough: Katsunari Kitajima
Game has no credits, but Kitajima's homepage has this on his works

Tracks 21-38: Final Fight One: Toshio Kajino, Seiko Kobuchi
Game reuses SNES Final Fight/Final Fight Guy credits with Kajino, but as Dag checked from liners, I think it's Kobuchi's work fully.

Final Fight Revenge: Jim Wallace

Final Fight CD: T's MUSIC

And all nonlinked stuff has been checked from various longplays on youtube (Imagine if you couldn't skip on youtube vids :D)

Also, BoneSatyr said that X68000 version sounded exactly as originals but with different sound board, so probably no arranging was done, just porting. So probably same people did same tracks.

Probably should check what tracks are used on the arranged tracks on the fifth cd to get some composer credits for those. And did Alfh Lyra/Alph Lyla arrange them (pity that none of those CAPCOM-00x albums have good booklets/credits).
Old Jan 24, 2015, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
I predict the ff2 breakdown won't be nearly as interesting. Sounds mostly like a Yamamoto affair.

But breakdowns are always good news!
Would love to see this but I think so too. Takehara sound is dominant, is my gut instinct.
Strange, I thought two songs were already credited to Yamamoto...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razakin
Game has no credits, but Kitajima's homepage has this on his works
As an aside, I see no mention of SNES Syvalion, which is strange as he is listed in the game's credits.

Last edited by Blitz Lunar; Jan 24, 2015 at 02:51 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 08:50 AM
Trusted Editor

Track 5-01 seems to translate Moon Skyscraper (at least it's translated that way on the CAPCOM-002 entry, but what about track 5-03, the ~かかってこんかい~ part?
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:00 PM

Well I was dead wrong wasn't I.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 09:32 PM

If anyone is wondering...

Disc 3 - Track 9 at 1:55. This little tiny "error" is on every copy of this album.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 08:55 AM

A little disappointed with the mastering on the Final Fight CD set. BAYAREA2 and WESTSIDE seem to have stamped out the guitar leads for the background synths way too much compared to the MEGA/SEGACD original. Rest of the disc seems OK.