VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Product (Game) Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 3, 2010, 10:26 AM

Default THE IDOLM@STER (#488)

As I didn't understand where to start a discussion, I ended up adding this franchise...

Anyway, in our close discussion where we decided to basically use normal case for the product names (e.g. Final Fantasy), "THE iDOLM@STER" was what was cited as an exception since this lower case "i" was seen to be intentional, but according to various websites, NBGI actually states on one book this "i" is just stylistically used for the title logo and the official capitalization is "THE IDOLM@STER". I personally think some titles or companies looks better in all caps (e.g. SQUARE ENIX, but maybe it's just me), and am not really a big fan of "The Idolm@ster​" myself, so I'd go for "THE IDOLM@STER" from now on, but not sure what to do with all these albums that have piled up with that lower case "i" over the past years.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:07 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Maybe their copyright only covers "THE IDOLM@STER" without lowercase i? I thinks its fine using all caps for the franchise and lowercase i iDOLMASTER for the albums (if it's used in the logo, right?)
Old Dec 3, 2010, 01:39 PM

I think when the publisher isn't consistent with capitalization and there is no official answer as to which one is correct, we can techinically pick it up out of multiple choices, and the one used in the title logo would be valid, if not necessarily the best. NBGI, on the other hand, apparently has a clear stance on this matter and seems to be consistent outside of the logo design, so probably "iDOLM@STER" needs some justification to stay there. I'd admit that it's a bit too late and some people probably don't want to be so anal, though. Fortunately, the product field will be veiled by the assigned name, so we should only care about the album titles.

(the reason why I posted this thread was because I wondered we should correct these albums to keep things at least consistent)
Old Dec 3, 2010, 02:07 PM
VGMdb Advisor

On a quick look it does seem the obis, spines and other album parts always write THE IDOLM@STER so maybe we can abandon the i if it's just a logo thing (we have precedents of official name over logo, like Chaos Head I think).
That's a lot of albums to fix tho.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 02:13 AM

Um, I'll take care of it, perhaps by the time when I add all the titles of this franchise. Meanwhile, I'd suggest a new submission uses "THE IDOLM@STER" for the title, unless the scan contradicts.

Btw, the official franchise name is apparently "PROJECT IM@S" (or Project IM@S, if normal case is allowed), according to Wikipedia article.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 03:11 PM
VGMdb Administrator

http://www.bandainamcogames.co.jp/cs...olmaster/item/

The albums are officially transcribed with an uppercase "I", so you're right.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 01:22 PM

Apparently, normal case (The Idolm@ster) is sometimes used on the spine, but maybe we can argue this is just a stylistic matter, too...

http://vgmdb.net/db/covers.php?do=view&cover=91909