VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 11, 2010, 05:45 AM
VGMdb Administrator

A recent edit changed a couple of the track titles.

Quote:
Twilight Stigmata ~Akumajo Dracula: Ubawareta Kokuin (Nintendo DS)~ --> An Empty Tome ~Akumajo Dracula: Ubawareta Kokuin (Nintendo DS)~ Vulcan422

Serenade ~Gekka no Nocturne (PlayStation®)~ --> Nocturne ~Gekka no Nocturne (PlayStation®)~ Vulcan422
To be honest, I don't agree with either edit, so I would like to see an explanation.

EDIT -- I got it now. It's an official English localization:

http://vgmdb.net/album/10714
Old Nov 11, 2010, 02:29 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I submitted the original translated tracklists for this album and Vol. 1 based on what we have for the Akumajo Dracula Best Music Collections BOX.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 08:36 PM

Added track times based on this:

http://itunes.apple.com/jp/album/id410509157

(Samples as well)
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:03 PM

This volume is so much better than the first one! It's hard to pick up a favorite as nearly all tracks are excellently done. For example, I simply love Azusa Chiba's stylish and fresh arrangement of "The Sinking Old Sanctuary" and tracks like "Lost Painting" or "Requiem of a Starlit Night" are so indescribable beautiful and touching. Masashi Hamauzu also did a good job with his contribution here.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:15 PM

The samples sound excellent. But should I wait for an album release outside of konamistyle? I'm not a fan of iTunes' mandatory compression.

Anyone else hearing a lot of pausing when trying to stream the samples Don linked to?
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:17 PM

I'm not sure if there will be a release outside Konamistyle. I guess if it sells enough, it will happen, similar to some of the beatmania solo albums like SYNTHESIZED2, etc.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
This volume is so much better than the first one!
yeah... it's straight-up better. Yasui's arrangement on the first disc is the only one that i know i'll go back to a lot, where as this is gorgeous throughout.

is there a light side/dark side theme split between the two albums? i notice most of the arrangements on this album are ... well, light! while the other disc is more action oriented overall.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 04:44 PM

When I was in Tokyo, TECHNOuchi told me that the themes for the discs were something like:

Vol. 1: Theme of the Hero
Vol. 2: Fantasy Setting
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
I'm not sure if there will be a release outside Konamistyle.
That's very strange. I'll never understand why people go to such great lengths to make this music and then make it very unavailable.

I did order them from Konamistyle, but it would've been a lot easier to order from Otaku or CDJ. Just like criminals make a market for home security devices, the extreme exclusivity of some vgm albums makes a 'market' for illegal downloading.

Now take this VikingGuitar guy. He made a CD and offered it in a variety of formats for online purchasing. I thought that was incredible; just pay $10 or so and get the music in FLAC right away. This is what major companies should be doing.

If I want to buy the Dracula Tribute albums, then I should be able to purchase them online in FLAC directly from Konami. There is absolutely no technological reason why they can not do this. That would save them money on materials for producing physical cd's and overall, reduce the CO2 pollution, since no jet fuel would be wasted flying the things to the U.S.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 05:30 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodo Kast View Post
There is absolutely no technological reason why they can not do this.
Certainly not any technological hampering, only mental hampering. Overseas Markets are clearly not on the agenda.

As the adoption rates of iTunes distribution still hasn't reached a standard practice level yet for vgm publishers, it would require an even more massively popular and universally used service to do it for them anyways.

Last edited by Carl; Jan 20, 2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
Overseas Markets are clearly not on the agenda.
But they could be on Mars. Or under the oceans. It doesn't matter where they are. "Overseas" no longer has any meaning if the distribution is digital.

When you make something available online, that is 'shipped' online, the physical location of your intended market is any place where a computer is connected to the internet.

Last edited by Jodo Kast; Jan 20, 2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodo Kast View Post
But they could be on Mars. Or under the oceans. It doesn't matter where they are. "Overseas" no longer has any meaning if the distribution is digital.

When you make something available online, that is 'shipped' online, the physical location of your intended market is any place where a computer is connected to the internet.
With iTunes, it does make a difference. iTunes is regionally locked, meaning that you have to have a credit card/gift card based in a certain region to use it. Record companies still try to control distribution, even though it's gotten next to impossible with the internet.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 03:24 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenofan 29A View Post
Record companies still try to control distribution.
Indeed, that's why little boutique shops like Konamistyle and e-Capcom and Sega Store exist, because it fits their desire to purposely keep the distribution as small as possible.

It doesn't have to be logical, the local market is the only market they want.

Last edited by Carl; Jan 21, 2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
It doesn't have to be logical, the local market is the only market they want.
You're right. There must be emotions involved. That's my best explanation. So I am backing out from trying to understand this problem.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
yeah... it's straight-up better. Yasui's arrangement on the first disc is the only one that i know i'll go back to a lot, where as this is gorgeous throughout.
i'm not even that thrilled with yasui's contribution. you have to wait for the second loop before that one all-too-brief elaboration. i was at least hoping for an fm-synth adaptation. but yeah too bad about cd1. overly literal remixes, especially rendered through rock stylings, make me yawn harder than anything nowadays -- and the ones that try to proceed in a less direct manner, like the "slash" remix, are often too reliant on texture and/or build up. i think those superb jazz versions of "vampire killer" (if any castlevania song has been so frequently and banally consulted, it's this) and "beginning" on the last akudrac compilation probably spoiled me.

listening to cd2 now and am already having a better time. i think i'm just burned out on all the vigorous action-oriented character of modern castlevania music; i know the series was kinda founded on that go-get-em attitude, but i find myself yearning for more material, both original and remixed, in the vein of things like sotn's "tower of evil fog" or lament of innocence's "fog enshrouded nightscape."
Old Feb 14, 2011, 09:16 PM

Bleh, this one's just so... plain. I'll never understand why it's preferred over the first volume.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:20 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Yeah it's pretty clear Chiba, AKANE, Oka, Kouda, Kirioka, Tanioka, Sakamoto, Aoki and Hamauzu did a very plain job.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Ito View Post
Bleh, this one's just so... plain.
Never have I heard an assessment so very... wrong.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:54 AM
Trusted Editor

I think I'll change my vote, just to tease Judge Ito
Old Feb 15, 2011, 06:22 PM

Plain...ly awesome.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 08:04 PM

Oh my, that sparked a reaction. The truth hurts, doesn't it? Don't pull a Youtube on this album's rating just because little old me doesn't like it. What did I ever do to you?

Aside from a high point or two, most of the arrangements sound like something out of a third-rate PS2 RPG. And since I don't wig out over third-rate RPG soundtracks like the rest of you do, naturally this album doesn't have any effect on me. God forbid anybody should disagree with the hivemind and call out this snoozefest for what it is.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 04:30 AM
Trusted Editor

Time for a famous quote:
Quote:
Opinions are like assholes. Everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 05:18 AM

Can someone explain to me what a third-rate PS2 RPG is?

Whatever they are, I want one.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Ito View Post
Bleh, this one's just so... plain. I'll never understand why it's preferred over the first volume.
I can understand calling this music plain; it reminds me of Falcom's new age arrangements, which take some getting used to. I find this easy to get into and appreciate, since there is much more challenging vgm out there. Something like Valkyria Chronicles, for example, is a tough listen (for me) because it initially sounds boring.

Another example of plain music is the FFXII OST. It almost sounds as if it's not there. However, with more exposure, it can become more interesting, due to the subtlety. The same is true with this Castlevania CD.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:15 PM

I think Volume 1 is more traditional in terms of Castlevania arrangement albums, whereas Volume 2 goes in a direction that's more in line with what Konami has done with the Genso Suikoden series arrangement albums. I think Volume 2 is great.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 04:26 AM
Trusted Editor

Hmm, according to VGMWorld this one and Vol. 1 are already sold out. That was fast!
Old Jul 23, 2012, 01:30 PM

Scans provided by: JPCVFAN in vgmuseum.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Japanese consumers who purchase both Akumajou Dracula Tribute Vol. 1 and Akumajou Dracula Tribute Vol. 2 via Konami's online store (Konamistyle.jp) will receive a special bonus item: A themed storage box that can hold two CD cases.
Spoiler: