VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 9, 2014, 06:07 PM

Default Albums you changed your mind on

This is a thread to discuss albums that you initially did or did not like but that feeling eventually changed.

怒首領蜂最大往生/DODONPACHI MAXIMUM オリジナルサウンドトラック[Disc 1]

I think this album is starting to lose its effect on me. The synth lead Namiki is using is pleasurable to hear but the compositions are far from the quality of Espgaluda2. テンシ (True Final Boss) - initially did not care for this track, but now feel like it's top 3 along with キザシ (Select) and アイ (stage3).

ESPGALUDAII BlackLabel

I think I am warming up to this album. I initially sold it because I couldn't stand the boss tracks. Maybe I'm lukewarm to them now. Select, Stage 1 (!!), Stage 4, and Stage 5 are worth owning the disc for.

Xenogears -Arrange Version-CREID

I have listened to this maybe 3 times and keep switching from 'this is great' to 'this is embarrassing' with all the Japanese vocals and new age'ishnish.

deathsmiles IIX original sound track

Initially listened to the album on youtube and thought it was pathetic. Listening to it on cd it has a lot of strong points but feels very acquired taste at some parts. The 'Joy to the World' track is great to drive to and way better here than on the remix album (sidenote: every remix album for Namiki's work always pales in comparison to the original).

Last edited by Vert1; Mar 9, 2014 at 08:46 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 07:57 PM

A few of mine:

Soukaigi - I used to really enjoy this album, but I find it doesn't age as well as Kikuta's Mana works or his regular upbeat sound on some of his later works (Alphabet Planet). Respectable, but I have limited enthusiasm for it nowadays.

Wild Arms Advanced 3rd - At one point, I called this my favorite soundtrack of all time. What the hell was I thinking? It's decent and I love certain tracks on it (Puzzle Manic), but overall it lacks the consistency of the first and even second WA soundtrack. I think this was one I just wanted to succeed and I ended up confusing bloat for depth. Oh well, Naruke isn't the only RPG composer guilty of doing that.

Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike - I hated this album when I first heard it. I'm still not the biggest fan of it, but it works incredibly well when playing, so it's something of a necessity. Much better than the electronic mess of Alpha 3 and the Capcom vs SNK games at the very least.

Final Fantasy Tactics - I've never been the biggest Sakimoto or Matsuno fan and I have bought/sold this album 3 times now. However, I tend to find if I strip it down to mainly the battle themes, it becomes much more listenable and enjoyable. I think Sakimoto's dark/moody music is what put me off on him in the first place, his action/energetic orchestral stuff is quite enjoyable. That said, they're not good enough to listen to for 30 minutes to an hour at a time ingame. Once is enough!

Ys Oath in Felghana - I lived and breathed this album for about a month, then I just got tired of it. In general, I find the guitar tone on a lot of newer Falcom albums grating and obnoxious and a lot of it started with this album.

Mystic Ark - Ah, back in my ignorant "every track has to be good for the album to be worth a damn" days, I sold this. It doesn't knock the ball out of the ballpark on EVERY track, but it does on a lot of them. I miss it.

Konami Shooting Battle Perfect Selection II - I got this and the first Shooting Battle as a set and always listened to them as such. Nowadays, this one has way too much synth and the tracks sometimes just drag. Still good, just not close to legendary, like its brethren.

Final Fantasy V Original Sound Version - It was always an okay score that featured Gilgamesh plus some good RPG tunes. Nowadays, it's an essential piece of classic Uematsu/SNES RPG history that gets better with every listen. Likewise, I feel similar about Dear Friends, which has also aged gracefully.

Overall, I tend not to change my view on albums too much. Usually my opinion from the initial listen sticks. I just had to get over that "every track has to be good for the album to be worth a damn" syndrome.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:30 AM

F-Zero - The Transmitter | http://vgmdb.net/album/4905

Though I still haven't bought it yet.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:53 AM

Tokyo Dungeon immediately comes to mind. When I first acquired it, I sold it without bothering to back it up. I disliked it considerably. Years later, I saw one on YJA and it was only 2,000 yen, so I figured I'd give it another shot. It turned out to be remarkable on the second go, but I feel my mindset coupled with my Sennheiser headphones had a lot to do with it. It was the same album as before, but the conditions with which I experienced it changed.

Castlevania Chronicles is another that I disliked when I first bought it. I recently reacquired it and it's amazing; the arrangements are exquisite and bleed harmonies that hasten happiness. Again, I feel my so-called audiophile headphones have a lot to do with it. If you've heard music on regular audio equipment, then you know it only dimly. Once you upgrade, you'll know it clearly.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 12:23 PM
VGMdb Advisor

When I first bought the FFXII OST in 2006, prior to its North American (game) release, I was terribly underwhelmed. I thought it was Sakimoto's least inspired work.

Years later, and after having played the game, I enjoy it as much as I enjoy FFT. So that was a pretty big turn-around.

Something I used to love and don't anymore? ... hmmm ... I can't really think of any.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 06:15 PM

When I listened to Final Fantasy X, I had read the talk about how awesome Hamauzu and Nakano's contributions were and how they're the saving grace of the soundtrack. Well, suffice it to say I was disappointed, although Hamauzu's is good, though short of incredible. However, since Sigma Harmonics and FFXIII came out I've become a real Hamauzu fan. That's not to say I now love his earlier stuff wholesale, but I appreciate his music for FFX more because I can hear hints of what was to come in XIII in it. My opinion about Nakano's stuff hasn't changed though. I've described him before as being frustrating to me, and I think that's still a good word for it. I appreciate his sound, but he needs to change his compositions up more, and more melody wouldn't hurt either. I simultaneously like and dislike him.

Last edited by _if; Apr 10, 2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 08:02 PM

Oddly enough, I don't care much for Final Fantasy 7's soundtracks, sans One-Winged Angel and the battle/boss tracks. Used to love the entirety as a kid, but felt indifferent towards it in the last couple of years. At first, I thought it was a mood kind of deal; maybe I just have to be in a certain mood to listen to it again. Nope! That ship has sailed...which is a darn shame. It's one of the most frustrating thing to happen...

Now, one soundtrack that has gotten a bit of my attention in the past two years is Wild Arms 3 and 4. My initial experiences with both were hearing both of 'em directly from the game. I was iffy on both of 'em, not really impressed but not loathing them, but man do I really, really, love these soundtracks something fierce!

Oh gosh, and how can I forget the Dragon Quest series! Initially I was really bored and unimpressed with its music when growing up. However, like WA3 + 4, wham, it hit me hard. Beautiful, beautiful music.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramza View Post
When I first bought the FFXII OST in 2006, prior to its North American (game) release, I was terribly underwhelmed. I thought it was Sakimoto's least inspired work.

Years later, and after having played the game, I enjoy it as much as I enjoy FFT. So that was a pretty big turn-around.
I feel that the FFXII soundtrack, like the game itself (though not in all aspects), was quite ahead of its time and asked a lot of its audience. It is an incredibly high-density and complex work, and while the atmosphere of it grabbed me from the start it took me a lot longer to really appreciate the detail. At least two things stand in the way of this: firstly, a lot of the beautiful cutscene music is barely audible in the game which robs it of context when listening back, and secondly the official OST release is harshly mastered and a total ear-bleeder to get through in one sitting. Perseverance has paid off, though. I never thought Sakimoto could top Vagrant Story but, for me, as time passes FFXII is closing the gap.

My attitude towards Sakuraba's Star Ocean 3 work is changing. I was awed by it when I initially played the game, then grew annoyed by it simply due to overexposure (I spent so many hours in certain areas in that game, and fighting countless battles). Having given myself the time to forget that saturation, I listen to it now more charitably and there's some really beautiful and interesting stuff on there, especially the softer pieces.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 04:31 AM

This is rather off topic, so please excuse my excursion. God forbid I sound snobbish or like a hipster for saying this because I really don't want to, but I knew opinion would eventually turn around on Final Fantasy XII. I was very happy with it from the first time I listened to it and, especially being the first without significant Uematsu involvement, it seemed to me it picked up by extension a lot of the flak the game got. Both seemed so hated at the time that a reappraisal was likely to come at some point. I think it's the soundtrack that, along with the help of his excellent prior work, pushed Sakimoto into the position of my favorite composer, where he remains. I get the complaint that previous Final Fantasy games had more diverse instrumental and stylistic palettes, but I didn't really become aware of that until I'd read the complaint. It didn't bother me that it's essentially all synth-orchestral because of how greatly it's written. It's the most strongly thematic of all FF soundtracks, with excellent themes, and becomes a kind of five-hour symphony with how they're spread throughout it in so many very different contexts and tones. "Coexistence (Imperial Version)" is a good example. The strongly imposing theme of the empire becomes a bright and pretty tune and sounds totally natural. Its appearances in "The Royal City of Rabanastre", "Clan Headquarters", and the beginning of "The Dalmasca Estersand" further demonstrate its versatility. The final battle theme sounds best to me when I've listened to the whole soundtrack up to that point; it adds an extra sense of climax and raw power that is perhaps not really there when taken alone. Yes, disc two isn't brimming with awesomeness, but I don't need everything to be a masterpiece. I think it nonetheless helps add up to a whole that's very satisfying.

I've said before that I generally really like Chris's work on his sites, but I take issue with this sentence from the summary of his review: "As many anticipated, the Final Fantasy XII Original Soundtrack is the most musically intricate, melodically devoid, and stylistically peculiar score of the series." Specifically, calling it melodically devoid is what I dispute. I don't understand how that reflects reality at all and seems like something said just because it was anticipated beforehand. In actuality, it's a very melodic soundtrack with little that resembles "underscore", as frequently occurs in game music, especially Western, in the modern era. Its tunes are often complex, though not always, but I wouldn't say they ever get impenetrable ("Abyss" excepted, haha). FFVII probably has more mood music than XII. I'm pleased to see Ramza say his views have changed. I suspect its audience will continue to grow. While some things can become instant classics to me, I know if I know someone's past work and I get a new one when it comes out if often takes years before I'm distanced enough from it to view it impartially.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 04:34 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramza View Post

Something I used to love and don't anymore? ... hmmm ... I can't really think of any.
I agree 100%. the game in general is also terribly overlooked, and it packs more content in it than many of the games today. I still haven't finished all the bounty hunts. :P
Old Apr 11, 2014, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _if
This is rather off topic, so please excuse my excursion.
I think it goes to show that it's a score which inspires passion. Well said, though I can't agree about disc two - the suite of tracks that accompany the Nalbina imprisonment through to joining up with Basch, plus the Bhujerba theme, are among my favourites. And the percussion on Battle Drum and Speechless Fight... wow. I think one of the best examples of the adaptation of multiple main themes you mentioned happens in State Of Emergency on that disc, especially at around the 0:54 mark with the completely chaotic reprise of the Dalmasca theme. Pure, unique Sakimoto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident93
I still haven't finished all the bounty hunts.
Good luck! I defeated Yiazmat back in the day and afterwards wondered if it was maybe some kind of insanity test!
Old Apr 12, 2014, 06:57 AM

I haven't yet mentioned how my opinion has also changed the other way, from positive to negative. I used to enjoy listening to Neo Geo Super Live! 1994 but now it sounds terrible with better headphones. Live recordings tend to suffer when one can hear more detail; the problem is one of muffled sound, which is not salient on cheap speakers.

The Guilty Gear XX soundtrack also sounds quite bad with my headphones. It sounded really good with Sony headphones and when played aloud on Bose 301 speakers. Bose speakers tended to make everything sound acceptable. I don't live in a situation or have the type of income necessary to buy audiophile loudspeakers, so making any comparisons between them and regular speakers like Bose is a dream at the moment.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodo Kast View Post
I haven't yet mentioned how my opinion has also changed the other way, from positive to negative. I used to enjoy listening to Neo Geo Super Live! 1994 but now it sounds terrible with better headphones. Live recordings tend to suffer when one can hear more detail; the problem is one of muffled sound, which is not salient on cheap speakers.
I think this might vary from album to album. Try Zuntata Guten Talk, I thought that sounded amazing out of my Mr Speakers Mad Dogs. I do tend to prefer studio recordings in general, but I really liked those versions.

Guilty Gear XX is great music, but horribly recorded. It's loud and compressed (and that synth they use has really fallen out of favor with me) and better headphones reveal it more harshly than others. Guilty Gear X Heavy Rock Tracks though...that rhythm guitar virtually disappears beneath the lead! There's almost no separation (and I played this on a really high end setup). Still enjoyable and the tunes themselves are incredible, but after hearing how well-produced heavy metal is supposed to sound, these don't get much playing time.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by student41269 View Post
I think it goes to show that it's a score which inspires passion. Well said, though I can't agree about disc two - the suite of tracks that accompany the Nalbina imprisonment through to joining up with Basch, plus the Bhujerba theme, are among my favourites. And the percussion on Battle Drum and Speechless Fight... wow. I think one of the best examples of the adaptation of multiple main themes you mentioned happens in State Of Emergency on that disc, especially at around the 0:54 mark with the completely chaotic reprise of the Dalmasca theme. Pure, unique Sakimoto.
Certainly, don't get me wrong, I'm quite fond of much on disc 2 - come on man, you didn't mention "The Tomb of Raithwall"! I've just seen the complaint disc 2 is the weakest of that and I get why that would be said.

I have been trying to come up with an album that I changed my mind on and I can't think of anything, even though I'm fairly sure it's happened. Hmm...
Old Apr 21, 2014, 07:56 PM

Bought the Crysis 2 soundtrack just for the opening theme music. and it's COMPLETELY different on the soundtrack then how it appears in the game. >

2nd place goes to the Borderlands 2 soundtrack. You spend 90% of the game listening to the AMBIENT versions of the music vs. the battle versions so what is the soundtrack composed entirely of? The stupid battle versions of each track that no one likes/cares about. >X(
Old Apr 22, 2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaleon64 View Post
2nd place goes to the Borderlands 2 soundtrack. You spend 90% of the game listening to the AMBIENT versions of the music vs. the battle versions so what is the soundtrack composed entirely of? The stupid battle versions of each track that no one likes/cares about. >X(
Sounds like the same issue I had with the Megaman Legends/Rockman Dash soundtrack. You spend all the time in the tunnels, but the soundtrack is really tightly composed and diverse. Another strike against it is that it's not traditional Megaman music by any means, but I've warmed up to it on its own merits. It's earned the right to be on my shelf next to the other Megaman soundtracks.
Old May 8, 2014, 06:14 PM

Hmm for me lets see

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 Original Soundtrack

At first I thought WTF?? After playing the game i hear more often this soundtrack than the original XIII.

MEGA DRIVE LAST ACTION HEROES

For a long time [2 years] I never understood the "sound" of this album. Dont know, just dint like the music. But now its one of my favorites.

THE LAST STORY Original Soundtrack

I liked this early but now only "Timbre of the City", "Death Dance" and "The One Ruling Everything" i hear.

I guess this is the only albums i have some changes in my mind lol