VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Feb 27, 2009, 03:32 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Does anyone know where the "Alternate" tracklist titles came from? Do the titles come from some kind of sound test, or were they just made up (in which case we should delete it.)
Old Feb 27, 2009, 11:46 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I don't remember there being a soundtest in the game. It seems like instead of translating the tracknames (which is what the main tracklist does) someone listened to the tracks and just made it up from the in-game situation or threw the name of the area in there.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 06:06 AM

I was meant to ask this some days ago but at the end forgot about it, Track "17 Fast Stong Current" is misspelled right?

At any rate I updated it to "17 Fast Strong Current".
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:36 PM

I began to make a couple changes to this tracklist, but really... wow. This needs to be redone, like, completely. No offense, really, but... the translations are missing half the track names. Track names with double exclamation marks have no punctuation at all.

Just some examples, the very first track, the very first two symbols... 月下. Gekka. "In the moonlight." Completely absent.

Track 3 we have ムサシ登場!! Which is "Musashi Appears!!" Then we have そして, which is soshite, "and; and then; thus; and now" and 旅立ち, which is tabidachi, "setting off (on a trip)". (Feel free to correct me on those, I'm using an online translator, but regardless, there's still much more to the name, words and punctuation).

Track 28 was just listed as "Burning Lava and Twisting". 鋼 was lost (meaning "steel").

"At Arinos" makes no sense at all. After 20 minutes toiling over the same characters in multiple online translators, I'm able to see Anthill before I see Arinos, which would make some amount of sense considering the track right after is the Queen Ant battle. Unfortunately, I really don't have a lot of knowledge about the Japanese language, so the hour+ I spent on this wasn't very fruitful.

I'd really love for this not to be put aside. This soundtrack is really old and has been sitting with an unfinished tracklist for long enough, and it's a great soundtrack and deserves a thorough translation. I know it's a bit ballsy of me to suggest it, because I'm unknown and can't do it myself, but I'd really love to see a "full" tracklist.

Last edited by Hellacia; Feb 10, 2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:17 AM

Yeah, I second the fact the translation needs some work, although I've seen these missing title segments on other sites. Additionally, for "Strong Fast Current" wouldn't that be "Strong, Fast Current"? Don't you seperate multiple adjectives with a comma in English?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
Track 28 was just listed as "Burning Lava and Twisting". 鋼 was lost (meaning "steel").
Want to know the crazy thing about this track? It's not even used in the game even though it is present in the game's sequenced music data and the soundtrack.
Quote:
"At Arinos" makes no sense at all. After 20 minutes toiling over the same characters in multiple online translators, I'm able to see Anthill before I see Arinos, which would make some amount of sense considering the track right after is the Queen Ant battle. Unfortunately, I really don't have a lot of knowledge about the Japanese language, so the hour+ I spent on this wasn't very fruitful.
Considering where this track is played in the game - right before the fight with the queen ant - "Anthill" makes much more sense than Arinos.

Last edited by Brad Evans; Feb 11, 2010 at 12:34 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:23 AM

Haha, the subject of proper English in tracknames seems to be a completely different battle. I see some tracklists go with all sorts of crazy capitalization, such as randomly all-caps words, every word is capitalized, or no words are capitalized. Then other tracklists defeat that entirely. The same with grammar; the Breath of Fire III soundtrack has a song named "The Weather and Mood is Great on This Day". Grammatically correct would definitely be are. I don't change it though (at least, not here on VGMdb), because perhaps it is actually what the track is called. Similarly, I don't know if I'd add a comma where there technically isn't one.

Also, the missing track segments are also present on Chudah's Corner, but then again, I think the whole tracklist is identical, so I don't know how much individual translating was going on. Unless we can assume that two different people got the EXACT same translations for 78 different sets of Japanese characters... ;) Here's what's funny... I actually updated a tracklist I had way back in '99 with the tracklist shown here... and that tracklist had the pieces of these missing tracknames. I remember the songs being called "Allucaneet Castle Beneath the Moon" and "Musashi Appears!! And Now He's Gone" on my hard drive. I can't remember where I got that tracklist, but I really wish I had it again now.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
The same with grammar; the Breath of Fire III soundtrack has a song named "The Weather and Mood is Great on This Day". Grammatically correct would definitely be are. I don't change it though (at least, not here on VGMdb), because perhaps it is actually what the track is called. Similarly, I don't know if I'd add a comma where there technically isn't one.
Ugh, don't bring up Breath of Fire III. I'm actually playing this at the moment but I've seen so many different names for some of the tracks it isn't funny. Some of them are so wordy... but if you want to talk wordy, I think WA3+ and VP are the places to be.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:43 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I've updated the tracklist but you guys should point any mistakes because I haven't actually played the game, just checked some FAQs to get the most likely English names.

Tracklists for older games like this one are bound to have mistakes, since they were translated long ago. Plus let's face it, not many people notice these errors so old translations are updated slowly. Thanks for pointing it out, if you find other problems you can make a note and we can try to help.

As for "Arinos", that's actually "ari no su" = "ant's nest" but could've fooled anyone.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 02:40 PM

No, there is no soundtest in the game.

Also I could have sworn that "Misteria" was spelled differently but I'm looking at a screen shot and it's right as rain. I have a feeling I've had it spelled wrong on my mp3s throughout the years though.

Edit: I have this track listed as "Wonderous Flower" which sounds nice but is probably wrong.

Last edited by Brad Evans; Feb 11, 2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 05:54 PM

Yeah, I came up with a lot of different "a ri no su", but the futility in using online translators is that it's next to impossible to come up with accurate translations based on multiple separate symbols, rather than a string of symbols that means something specific. アリノス doesn't quite yield anything coherent, haha.

Thanks a lot! This is great. There's something I just can't figure out: tracks 137 and 213 feature the two sisters' names, Bubbles and Gingerelle. Bubbles went by Brandy and Gingerelle went by Liquor (or Liqueur?) in the Japanese version, which matches these new translations. However, Bubbles is the younger sister and Gingerelle is the older sister, making 213 incorrect now. Very confusing.

Still, very nice job. I appreciate the quick response. I've sort of been crashing through the soundtracks, and I've made what changes I can, but it's nice to have someone take over on the big overhauls.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 11:31 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Glad to help. About the sisters names, I guess Square simply misnamed/switched them in the JP tracklist, I translated it as-is that even if it's wrong game-wise.
Misteria Flower is apparently the US term for that track name, which literally would be "phantom/illusionary flower", nothing too wonderous there.

I deleted the alt tracklist, since it looks to be made up, but here it is just in case:
Spoiler:
01 Intro
02 Musashi is Summoned
03 Hero Summon is a Success!
04 Brave Fencer "Musashiden" Main Theme
05 Awakening Spiral Tower
06 Climbing Spiral Tower
07 Inside Spiral Tower
08 The Guardian Flame has been extinguished
09 Lumina is yours!!
10 Thirstquencher Empire
11 The Steam Knight
12 Arrival at Grillin Village
13 Grillin Village
14 Somnolent Forest
15 Grave Hunting
16 Twinpeak Mountain
17 Wild raft ride
18 Steamwood in Trouble
19 Approacing the Earth Scroll
20 The Scroll is yours!!
21 Hell's Valley
22 Skullpion
23 Victory!! (Skullpion)
24 Vambee invasion
25 Grillin Mines
26 Ed and Ben
27 Misteria Island
28 Unknown Title
29 Restaurant Basement
30 Bowling Plant Maze
31 Vambee Bowling
32 Walls…Closing In…
33 Teleporter Maze
34 Fire Maze
35 Ghost Maze
36 Orb Room
37 Bubbles and the Church
38 Vambee Soldiers

01 The Relic Keeper's Lair
02 Four Flames
03 The Relic Keeper
04 Victory!! (Relic Keeper)
05 Grillin Village in Flames!!
06 Island of Dragons
07 Kojiro's Arrival
08 Battle with Kojiro
09 Victory!! (Kojiro)
10 The Fake Princess
11 Meandering Forest
12 Approaching the Frozen Palace
13 Gingerelle
14 The Frozen Palace
15 Intro to the Frost Dragon
16 The Frost Dragon
17 Ant Attack!!
18 The Upper Mine
19 Crazy Mine Cart
20 In the Queen Ant's Lair
21 The Queen Ant
22 Capriccola
23 Soda Fountain-Area I
24 Ben
25 Soda Fountain-Maze
26 I'm Tellin' Ya, I'm Ed
27 Soda Fountain-Courtyard
28 Inside Soda Fountain
29 Topo's Groove Heaven
30 Final Chapter
31 The Tower of Death
32 Dark Lumina Awakened
33 Dark Lumina-Part I
34 Dark Lumnia-Part II
35 Dark Lumnia-Finale
36 Have a Good Sleep!
37 Mother Minku's Appearance
38 A New Legend (Ending-Part I)
39 Don't Cry, Fillet! (Ending-Part II)
40 Far into the Sky
Old Feb 16, 2010, 07:02 PM

I'm wondering if anyone could humor me with a little question I have.

In instances like track 6, which is

走れ!剣豪

how do you decide that the exclamation mark goes at the end of the name even when it was in the middle? Other tracks, like 4, have the exclamation marks in the middle

ムサシ登場!!そして旅立ち

and yet they retain their position according to the English words.

Just wondering how that's decided.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
I'm wondering if anyone could humor me with a little question I have.

In instances like track 6, which is

走れ!剣豪

how do you decide that the exclamation mark goes at the end of the name even when it was in the middle? Other tracks, like 4, have the exclamation marks in the middle

ムサシ登場!!そして旅立ち

and yet they retain their position according to the English words.

Just wondering how that's decided.
Hmmm... that's a good question.

Last edited by Brad Evans; Feb 16, 2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 07:34 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
It's just a matter of placement, the end result is the same as in English. If you read the text you see one word followed by an exclamation mark and then another word, isn't it logical to assume that the emotion implied by the exclamation mark would refer to the first word? Of course it helps if you understand what the words say.

This case if similar to Chinese where I believe a comma is typically placed in between the two characters fully centered. Remember that spacing isn't natural in these written languages in the same way it is in those using the roman alphabet.

(bottom line: spanish is illogical)
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:51 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Like Seanne says it's for style. As I understand it in Japanese it's quite common to write "<do something>! <name>", <name> being part of the same sentence. But in English it isn't too natural to separate a single sentence like that, so the exclamation can be placed last. Your second example looks to me like two different sentences so you can keep the !!

That being said, sometimes I leave them just like that.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 12:58 PM

Cool, thanks you two! It's to make it read better, essentially.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 03:53 PM

A couple things to say about this album, instead of just changing things and then moving along.

First of all, some kanji / kana were wrong, so I replaced them. Most translations don't change because of this, but accuracy is still improved. And normally I wouldn't try to change something as subjective as translations, but looking at track 25 of disc 2, which was one of the tracks I fixed now, the translation just doesn't make any sense. Musashi gains the power of elements throughout the game, and each of these characters also represents an element, not only compound kanji for days. I've changed it to "All the Elements", probably what it was originally anyway.

Also, as a note to track 29 of disc 2, there is 作曲:吉本陽一(5B-Dr.), which means the composer is Yoichi Yoshimoto, who actually directed the game. 5B refers to the Musashiden team (opposed to 5A which is the Einhänder team) and Dr. is an abbreviation for director. Anyway whether or not Tsuyoshi Sekito arranged this, it doesn't say explicitly, so if you want to add him as an arranger in the notes or something, go ahead, but I'm still adding Yoshimoto as a composer.

Last edited by Medina; Apr 7, 2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medina View Post
I've changed it to "All the Elements", probably what it was originally anyway.
Yeah, I've seen it go by that.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medina View Post
Also, as a note to track 29 of disc 2, there is 作曲:吉本陽一(5B-Dr.), which means the composer is Yoichi Yoshimoto, who actually directed the game. 5B refers to the Musashiden team (opposed to 5A which is the Einhänder team) and Dr. is an abbreviation for director. Anyway whether or not Tsuyoshi Sekito arranged this, it doesn't say explicitly, so if you want to add him as an arranger in the notes or something, go ahead, but I'm still adding Yoshimoto as a composer.
Finding out stuff like this about albums I've physically owned for at least a decade always blows my mind. I've only known Tsuyoshi Sekito as the sole creator of all this game's music. I wonder why this was never touched upon before. Very interesting information.

Also, shouldn't the products represented just be Brave Fencer Musashi, with normal capitalization and without the "den" suffix or whatever? At least, that's the English title.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:41 PM

Wow, back to this soundtrack yet again. Fixed another kanji error, and noticed something... odd... on the back of the registration card. Along the top reads:

BraveFencer 双界儀 オリジナル・サウンドトラック

双界儀 is Soukaigi, so I'm officially confused.

Oh yeah, and I had a question: should we use real quotation marks? I know not all soundtracks do, but this one very visibly does; it has BRAVE FENCER “MUSASHIDEN” Original Soundtrack written everywhere, with the typographic quotation marks. Dunno if that will cause a searching problem or something though... although I'd think that with our system using quotes to search for whole strings, it may actually help (or I'm dumb, idk).

Last edited by Hellacia; Mar 21, 2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 12:47 PM

Updated the translation to include the Japanese names for lore according to the following website...

https://kahran042.livejournal.com/ta...ncer%20musashi

The two exceptions to this are disc 1, tracks 14 and 27. The website translates track 14 as "Forest of Sleep". The official English translation "Somnolent Forest" is essentially the same as "Somnolent" is a synonym for sleep. Track 27 is translated as "Legendary Flower", although after trying a few different online translators, as well as the official English translation "Misteria Flower", this seems to be mistranslated, as the results I got were "Imaginary Flower" and "Phantom Flower". I decided to go with "Illusionary Flower" since it means the same as well as sounds the nicest.

Of course, feel free to give any feedback if you disagree with any of my changes.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 03:53 PM

Wouldn't it have been better to have made the tracklisting we had be set as "English (Localized)" and then make a separate one for English (Literal)?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 06:37 PM

Fair enough. I'll go back and revert all my changes for now and make a "literal" track list later.

There was one mistake with the original track list having Bubbles and Gingerelle swapped around (I checked the scan of the kana for each track to make sure it wasn't a production error.) that will be fixed though.

EDIT: Added an alternate tracklist that uses the same translation as the original, but with the Japanese lore. I went through this thread to try and figure out who to give credit to, so hopefully I got everyone. Again, here is my source for the original Japanese terminology...

https://kahran042.livejournal.com/ta...ncer%20musashi

As for disc 1, track 27, I decided to stick with "Legendary Flower". Phantom / Imaginary / Illusionary Flower doesn't make any sense in context to the flower in-game. If anyone with proficient knowledge of Japanese can 100% confirm that "Legendary Flower" is a mistranslation, I will change it to "Illusionary Flower".

Last edited by Damned; Jun 21, 2019 at 09:28 PM.