VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 28, 2011, 07:37 PM
VGMdb Administrator

So what's wrong with translating "theme songs"?

Also, assuming the Japanese title is correct, the romanization should just be "Shuudaika," not the hybrid "Theme Shuudaika."
Old Oct 28, 2011, 08:00 PM

Is the second "u" really necessary? I thought it would be mostly used to indicate a long vowel, or something like "しゅう", while it's "しゅ" here.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 08:32 PM

Ugh, messy. Didn't even pay attention, sorry. It also seems like we're trying to get rid of full-width characters, so I changed that.

I was mostly going off things like the Makaimura box. I've already said what I think about this "translate/romanize this but not this for unexplained reason" logic in various places.

edit: Yeah, doesn't seem to have a second u. Not sure where that came from.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:24 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
Is the second "u" really necessary? I thought it would be mostly used to indicate a long vowel, or something like "しゅう", while it's "しゅ" here.
Whoops! Nice catch. Who added that title. :[

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despatche View Post
I was mostly going off things like the Makaimura box. I've already said what I think about this "translate/romanize this but not this for unexplained reason" logic in various places.
Game titles are one thing, but I really am not seeing what's bad about translating pure descriptions of content like "music collection." What use at all does "shudaika" or "shokai tokuten" have to people who don't know Japanese?

Plus, we do have a romaji line for exactly this sort of thing.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 04:46 AM
VGMdb Administrator

We came to a consensus over the years that it was preferable to translate parts of the album that don't pertain to a product's title. "Preorder Bonus" is much clearer to the reader thant "Yoyaku Tokuten". So, I've changed it back.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 04:52 AM

The post in the Makaimura box thread was about the "Ongakutaisen" part, yet another "common word". I changed it, it was left alone, so I figured I'd do the same with any other albums I happen to be at. Why don't I just link to it? Following on from what I said in that post, the biggest problem is that you would have every reason and every right to just go ahead and translate every single game title itself along with these so-called "common words" (hate to say it but they can't possibly any less "useless" or "confusing" to non-Japanese speakers than the titles of these games), which is always the worst solution.

Really, we shouldn't be focusing so much on translations in general; usually they're "inaccurate to the album" at best. Romaji, on the other hand, are "pronunciations", so they're almost always going to be more accurate (well, with Hepburn anyway) unless I'm forgetting something vital. Come to think of it, why didn't I think about all of this over here as well? No consistency on my part either.

Of course, I'm not saying there should be no translations, I'm just saying they shouldn't be default. Maybe none of this will matter as the site improves and we can have settings like "default tracklist" and the like. Even then... I'm sorry, but it just seems misleading to use anything else besides a good set of Japanese characters and/or romaji as the most appropriate "description" of a Japanese album that solely uses these things in the first place, just like with any other language in the world. This may be an English website, but we're still dealing with non-English albums here.

Maybe I just don't know my place? I dunno, I think this is right enough for me. I hope it's right enough for anyone else.

Last edited by Despatche; Oct 29, 2011 at 04:55 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 04:56 AM
VGMdb Administrator

That Makaimura box example fell through a kind of loophole where the already-romanized text on the box took precedence.