VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 30, 2008, 06:29 AM

A minor issue I just noticed: the kana spelling of Mitsuda's name has a katakana "ya" while the rest is in hiragana:

みつだヤすのり should be みつだやすのり
Old Mar 30, 2008, 06:31 AM
VGMdb Administrator

What amazing eyes you have.

Fixed the "ya". Thanks for pointing out the mistake.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 10:41 PM

I was curious on what scores Mitsuda did that don't have albums, hence are not listed here.

I know of Radical Dreamers, but is there anything else?

Also what made him stop doing the Xenosaga games?

Last edited by BahamutZ; Mar 29, 2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 11:36 PM
VGMdb Administrator

• Bomberman 64: The Second Attack (co-composed with Yoshitaka Hirota)
  • Mario Party
  • Mario Party 2 (co-composed with Hironao Yamamoto, Shohei Bando, and Kazuhiko Sawaguchi)
  • The Masquerade Lullaby (co-composed with Takanari Ishiyama and Kazumi Mitome)
  • Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner (co-composed with Shinji Hosoe, Hitoshi Sakimoto, Kenji Ito, Yoko Shimomura, Masaharu Iwata, Tsukasa Masuko, Yasuyuki Suzuki, Ayako Saso, and Takahiro Ogata)
  • Radical Dreamers
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl (arrangement with every other game composer who has ever lived)

I think that's everything without any form of OST release at all; if I've left something off, it'll be at SEMO. A few of his games have CDs released with only a fraction of the full soundtrack, like The Seventh Seal (Sailing to the World) and Deep Labyrinth.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 02:37 AM

Mitsuda's role on Mario Party 2 was actually just reprises from the first game, although he was credited nonetheless.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 10:53 AM

From the English Wikipedia article:
Quote:
According to an April 2009 interview with Nintendo Power, Mitsuda is currently working on "undisclosed projects" for the Nintendo DS, Wii, and PlayStation 3.
If this was said in April 2009, the projects for DS and Wii would've likely been Inazuma Eleven 2 and Arc Rise Fantasia and/or Xenoblade respectively.

But does anyone have a clue what the PS3 title could be? Canceled port? Almost two years without any evidence of a such a game with which Mitsuda is supposedly associated doesn't sound too promising.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Bomberman 64: The Second Attack (co-composed with Yoshitaka Hirota)
do we know any more about their respective duties on this title? that's been bothering me for some time.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
do we know any more about their respective duties on this title? that's been bothering me for some time.
First off, here's the complete list of composers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqNNaiwlMiQ#t=1m55s - Bad Ending
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x58UytrXc0c#t=6m17s - Good Ending

Tomohiko Kira
Yasunori Mitsuda
Hidenobu Otsuki
Tomokazu Kudo*
Hiroyo Yamanaka
Yoshitaka Hirota
Kenji Hiramatsu

*There's a Tomokazu Kudo at Capcom who's a Tester/Quality Assurance Manager, but it's probably not the same person.

Second, Mitsuda is confirmed for the "Title" and "Battle" [Multiplayer] themes based on Bomberman The Music (http://vgmdb.net/album/379). Notes were made by Chikuma herself, and have proven highly reliable from my experience. I see no reason not to trust them.

After that I guess each of them did a world. That's something I'm really starting to see in games like this, Mega Man 10, and Mega Man X7. It just seems to be the most rational explanation.

This has been one I've been meaning to break down for some time now. Its day will come soon enough...
Old Feb 6, 2011, 12:06 PM

The pommy theme seems to be Mitsuda's, as does the Aquanet world music. Some of the boss music sounds like Hirota, and there's no doubt in my mind that the Mikhaele themes were by the people of ACE.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 12:24 PM

woh, i had no idea so many other composers worked on the soundtrack. i wonder why it is that i only previously saw mitsuda and hirota credited?

interesting, anyway...
Old Feb 6, 2011, 04:47 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyubihanyou View Post
Tomokazu Kudo*
Hiroyo Yamanaka

*There's a Tomokazu Kudo at Capcom who's a Tester/Quality Assurance Manager, but it's probably not the same person.
Tomokazu Kudo is in all probability Tomori Kudo of ACE. Hiroyo Yamanaka of the group uses the stage name "CHiCO," but she's credited with her real name here, so I suspect Tomokazu is Tomori's real name and "Tomori" is just a stage name too. Tomori talks about composing for the game in SEMO's interview, where he also mentions some of the tracks ACE wrote:

Quote:
Tomori Kudo: Bomberman: The Second Attack, on the other hand, was done by multiple composers including Mitsuda-san and Hiroda-san. ACE composed the themes for the opening, ending, title screen, boss battles, the character Lily, certain stages, and so on. I really liked playing Bomberman, so I remember the composing part went very quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
i wonder why it is that i only previously saw mitsuda and hirota credited?
I believe it's because Mitsuda and Hirota are the only two people GMCL listed the game for, since none of the other composers had artist profiles. At the very least, that's why I only credited those two several years ago.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 02:45 AM
VGMdb Administrator

A recent edit changed his birth city from Tokuyama to Shunan-shi (and I dropped the shi, since it's implied). This edit agrees with wiki.jp, so I let it through, and I don't know where Tokuyama came from. The official sites only list Yamaguchi prefecture.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 03:16 AM

Wikipedia states Tokuyama was the old name of the city.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:08 AM
Trusted Editor

So I was listening to the gamerip of Lime Odyssey and it really made me wonder why we haven' yet seen an official release of that score. Supposedly the music was created in 2009, but some tracks really have this old Mitsuda vibe and remind me of e.g. Chrono Cross.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:20 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I think there could be two reasons. First, the quality of the recording for the orchestrated part is very low. Second, there doesn't seem to be enough material to fill a disc.

Still, if Mitsuda could make some sort of new "Sailing to the World", I would be delighted.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanasea View Post
I think there could be two reasons. First, the quality of the recording for the orchestrated part is very low.
If the recordings seem "very low" in quality it's likely due to the necessary compression of the BGM files themselves. After all, the music that has been uploaded to the web all comes directly from the game client.

If we were to get an album, the quality of the orchestral recordings in particular would represent the best orchestral recordings to come from Mitsuda as he used a real orchestra in what sounds like a real concert hall.

Quote:
Second, there doesn't seem to be enough material to fill a disc.
I found a playlist on youtube that contains 36 tracks. Some are fanfares, but the rest averages at 2 minutes a track. That's plenty of music for a release.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCCfL...f=results_main
Old Apr 1, 2012, 09:08 AM
Trusted Editor

The gamerip that I have (which seems to consist of the original Vorbis-encoded files from the game client) clocks at around 55min. That's at least more than Sailing to the World.

Anyway, my guess was more along the lines of copyright issues...
Old Apr 1, 2012, 09:21 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Mitsuda owns the rights to his music.

He didn't write all of the music in Lime Odyssey though. Part of it was composed by Studio EIM. You could download some tracks on the official website but Mitsuda's part was only 22 minutes. I guess there are more in the actual game, then.

As for the recording, I thought the main theme was quite... cavernous. It's some of the worst orchestra recording I've heard from Mitsuda.
Old May 12, 2012, 11:07 AM

If anyone here has been asking Mitsuda to answer them in English on Twitter or Facebook, could you cut back? He's really pissed off about it.
Old May 12, 2012, 11:17 AM
Trusted Editor

You mean about the Lime Odyssey thing?

No, not me, I don't even have any Twitter or FB account.

Last edited by LiquidAcid; May 12, 2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old May 12, 2012, 11:21 AM

Could you elaborate it more? If someone with a worldwide fanbase minds receiving messages from outside of Japan, then he/she would be better off quitting Twitter or facebook (but mixi which is dominantly used among Japanese). I personally think it's better than sending machine-translated messages anyway.

edit: oh perhaps I didn't get what he means. It's about Lime Odyssey in particular?

edit2: no, it's actually about some people asking him write in English and their attitude (taking it for granted)! So it's okay.
http://www.procyon-studio.com/blog/ (7th May Entry)

Last edited by Cedille; May 12, 2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old May 12, 2012, 12:16 PM

DO NOT MSG ME FOR LOSSLESS TRANSLATIONS

...should be his FB status.
Old May 12, 2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
Could you elaborate it more? If someone with a worldwide fanbase minds receiving messages from outside of Japan, then he/she would be better off quitting Twitter or facebook (but mixi which is dominantly used among Japanese). I personally think it's better than sending machine-translated messages anyway.

edit: oh perhaps I didn't get what he means. It's about Lime Odyssey in particular?

edit2: no, it's actually about some people asking him write in English and their attitude (taking it for granted)! So it's okay.
http://www.procyon-studio.com/blog/ (7th May Entry)

I didn't mean to accuse anyone here. I've just never seen him quite so angry before...
Old May 12, 2012, 02:28 PM

That's why I always make sure the person I'm contacting can understand english before sending them any questions. It really is just rude otherwise.
Old May 21, 2012, 07:08 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Mitsuda owns the rights to his music.
He doesn't own the rights to Chrono Trigger, Front Mission: Gun Hazard, Xenogears, or Mario Party., according to Procyon Studio's website.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:42 PM

A very happy 41st to one of VGM's perfectionists, succeeding in quality at the price of quantity. Best wishes for many more to come!
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:54 PM

How the time flies. Happy Birthday Mr. Mitsuda.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:25 PM
VGMdb Advisor

He wrote a message for his French fans on the official translation of his blog, saying he should be able to release "the album everyone is waiting for" this year.

Hopefully it's true this time!
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:01 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
He wrote a message for his French fans on the official translation of his blog, saying he should be able to release "the album everyone is waiting for" this year.

Sequel to the Brink of Time? FUCKYEAHAWESOME
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:

Interesting. The Japanese birthday message is completely different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razakin
Sequel to the Brink of Time? FUCKYEAHAWESOME
I'm probably one of the few people who would actually anticipate such a thing...