VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Dec 8, 2007, 04:47 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Does anyone know who composed track 30, "Slayzer"? Every artist breakdown I've found for this album gives credits for every track except 30, which is kind of odd. My copy of the track is tagged with Kohei Tanaka, but I don't know where that information came from.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 05:14 AM
Trusted Editor

There is indeed no composer listed for track 30 in the liner notes.
I doubt it's Kohei Tanaka as he's only credited for the orchestral tracks (cutscene music).
Old Feb 16, 2011, 12:00 PM

track 30 :曵地 正則

http://www2.jasrac.or.jp/eJwid/main....bSession=start
Old Feb 16, 2011, 01:24 PM

Yeah, I thought it sounded like Masanori Hikichi's style. Wonder why the credit was left out of the booklet?
Old Aug 30, 2014, 03:42 PM

I wondered what in the hell "Craggy for Trees" could possibly mean, so I looked at the original Japanese which is apparently referring to a castle and a rock formation. I played the game some years ago and remember it well enough to find in a YouTube playthrough what it's referring to. It plays in an area called Stalagmite Castle in the English version so I changed the name here to that. My theory about "Craggy for Trees" is that the person who translated meant to write the more sensible "Craggy Fortress" but then got screwed up somehow and it stuck all this time.

While I was at it I also fixed up some other stuff, mostly to bring it in line with the game ("The Wiseman's Tomb" --> "Wise Men's Cemetery"). But where names aren't equivalent I left them, like the the towns of Pulu and Bimu which are not called the same in the English game. The person who translated this was evidently familiar with the game and did a good job with many things, but there's also stuff like "Gude Airship". The Gude is indeed an airship, but the track title is "グーデ" so I changed it to just "Gude".

If anybody else wants to try to improve any translations I could elaborate on in-game context. One thing I'd like input on is the town tracks that used to say "___ Town - Troubled" and "___ Town - Relieved". That is a fairly elegant way of condensing what it says in Japanese, but it's more like before and after resolution, for lack of a better word. What happens in-game is simple: there are four floating continents that have been sinking and are in danger of falling into the ocean. You have to solve a problem by beating a dungeon or boss so you can use a spell to stop their sinking, and before you do that one piece of music plays in town and a different one plays after. Anybody got any idea for a better translation than 'resolution' to use here? I was mostly uncomfortable with the word 'relieved' because the last town's mood is more troubled after you've done what you need to, and the music is more downbeat to match that, so it's especially wrong to use that word.