VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Oct 1, 2020, 03:18 PM

Hell Ya! Super pumped for this one after listening to your entire discography already (multiple times actually :P). I thought your last FFIV album was maybe your most well rounded/consistently good, start to finish album, while it was not my favorite of yours (First Journey & Chrono Cuts 2 would take that prize), because to me it kinda lacked any highs, but had no lows/bad songs either, so everything just felt like a strong 4 to 4.5/5 for every track (not a bad thing though!).

My ratings for The Dark Knight Returns (if you care):
5/5 = Into the Darkness
4.5/5 = The Red Wings, Main Theme of Final Fantasy IV, Castle of Damcyan
4/5 = Kingdom of Baron, Theme of Love, Welcome to Our Town!, Bomb Ring, Rydia

So yeah..., looking forward to this here sequel, and let us hope for no extra delays this time due to COVID shenanigans!
Old Oct 2, 2020, 11:33 AM

Location: Deciding whether to do Secret of Mana or Wild Arms for my next album

Great feedback, thanks!

I think my wife would agree with your point about the highs/lows, and to an extent, I agree. If you like the Bomb Ring / Damcyan vibe, the second FF IV album should feel a lot like that.

Thanks again for the feedback, glad you enjoyed! Sorry for the delay, life has been super busy lately!
Old Oct 2, 2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special View Post
My ratings for The Dark Knight Returns (if you care):
5/5 = Into the Darkness
4.5/5 = The Red Wings, Main Theme of Final Fantasy IV, Castle of Damcyan
4/5 = Kingdom of Baron, Theme of Love, Welcome to Our Town!, Bomb Ring, Rydia
Wow, really interesting your take on Into the Darkness. I know was most worried about that song in particular sounding "long" and getting boring quick. From the standpoint of arranging, recording and mixing, I easily spent much more time working on that song than the others. On the one hand, I am glad it seems the work paid of, and it is a huge relief knowing it came off as enjoyable. On the other hand, it was indeed a lot of work, making it felt like a dungeon-crawl in its own right, in a certain sense!

The closest thing I have to Into the Darkness so far is the new rendition of Illusionary World. All the songs are pretty much done , just need time to wrap up mixing, which has been difficult given that we have decided to keep the kids at home a bit longer due to COVID stuff.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 05:50 PM

Damn you!
Old Mar 9, 2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special View Post
Damn you!
Should be out next week, keep your eyes peeled!
Old Mar 20, 2021, 03:25 AM

I see this is now finally out! Now I just need to make time for it... :/

BTW, it looks like the tracks here on VGMdb needs changing/adjusting since they don't seem to line up, or did the streaming sites get things wrong?
Old Mar 20, 2021, 09:20 AM

I chose a different track order in the end, overall the album is pretty dark, and I wanted to end on a brighter note with Troain Beauty , similar to Celtic Moon , but I don’t wanna create 3rd track list here unless I can figure out how to edit or delete the other ones

Last edited by Jazz Paladin; Mar 20, 2021 at 09:48 AM.