VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 6, 2010, 12:02 AM

I've never played a single Phantasy Star so I know nothing about it personally, but there seems to be an actual "Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II":

Gamecube
Xbox

If you know something, correct me.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:27 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I'm interested in how the music on this soundtrack is divided between episodes I & II. I'm assuming it's just Disc 1 & 2 for I & II based on the opening/ending tracks, but wanted to know if there was any overlap (e.g. are 1-18 & 1-19 for ep. I despite being after the ending theme for ep. I?). Anyone here play the series?

Last edited by Liontamer; Sep 22, 2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:15 AM

It's a bit more complicated than just dividing between Episode I and II.

While Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II was specifically released as a standalone game for NGC and Xbox, Episode II (as well as Episode IV, for that matter) would be like addons to the original Phantasy Star Online game more than new games on their own, a bit like Ambition of the Illuminus is for Phantasy Star Universe.
You could carry your character over from Episode I to II and IV if you owned all of them and come back to any episode at any moment, whether it was on offline and online mode. There was also additional items, stat balance and other extra stuff added with Episode II and IV that were also applying to Episode I once you had those extra episodes.
And not completely sure about this, because I never played Episode I&II online (only did on PC when episode IV was out, which was kinda different server-wise), but I think on Online mode, players with Episode I&II were able to play on the same servers as those with only Phantasy Star Online as long as they were playing Episode I stuff.

That said, track-wise, Disc 2 is specifically for Episode II music.
As for Disc 1:
I'd say the only ones for Episode I are 14-15.
2-11 are menu music, shop themes, and online lobby and event music which are used indifferently in Episodes I and II, since they share the same menus, town and servers.
12-13 are music used in online PvP maps taken from the themes with the same name on Disc 2, and honestly, they're filler tracks to me; they are almost identical to the PART2 of aforementioned themes.
1, 16 and 17 are retakes on Episode I OP and ED themes, but I don't think they were used in game.
Don't recall hearing 18 and 19 in game either. I think they were used in some online quests (not available offline), but can't tell which ones.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:25 PM

I updated artists/credits infos according to what's written in the Phantasy Star Online Episode III C.A.R.D. Revolution booklet.

Although such credits aren't technically given out in the Episode I & II soundtrack booklet, the opening and ending themes on this soundtrack are exactly the same as the ones with corresponding titles found on the Episode III soundtrack.

Also, Masahiro Tanaka has an artist profile page, so it could be linked to this page.

Last edited by Meudeujeu; Nov 21, 2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:17 AM

Who is that "D" in performing list? Mistake?
Old Jul 24, 2012, 02:23 PM

Vocal: D
comes from
http://vgmdb.net/db/covers-full.php?id=132531
Track 17

As an aside Loren and D sound similar and may be the same person.

Last edited by Fearin; Jul 24, 2012 at 02:48 PM.