VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Dec 12, 2008, 02:38 PM

There seem to be two different versions of this US Mars Colony Music release.

My copy lacks the -2 suffix on the catalog number. There are also minor cosmetic differences on the disc art (mine have color, the -2 versions do not and are slightly offset) and on the cover art (different fonts for "Music from the Mature-rated video game").

^ from MCM-10101------------------------------------^ from MCM-10101-2

^ from MCM-10101------------------------------------------^ from MCM-10101-2
Jill's (that's Jill, right?) arm is missing. Disc has color. ---------- "Mars Colony" text obscured by outer ring

Last edited by Judge Ito; Apr 23, 2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 06:04 AM
VGMdb Administrator

This is very strange. So far, I can't find any information about this alternative release. I'm wondering if it could it be some kind of test printing or sample copy. Did you purchase it second hand, or did you get it directly from a retailer?
Old Dec 13, 2008, 06:19 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I'd guess it's just a 2nd batch of pressings, that maybe they pressed a thousand the first time and those sold, so they made a few minor tweaks when they pressed up another batch of a thousand.

As far as the disc graphics being obscured by the inner ring, or being visible "over" the ring, that option depending on which type of printing process (and cost) you select at the factory that's pressing the discs.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
This is very strange. So far, I can't find any information about this alternative release. I'm wondering if it could it be some kind of test printing or sample copy. Did you purchase it second hand, or did you get it directly from a retailer?
Second hand. Bought it used years ago from a local shop that sells new and used music (CDs Plus in Waterloo, IA, for what it's worth).
Old Dec 17, 2008, 04:41 PM

Judge Ito,

I have the version to the right. (In fact, the image is from my site, more images here: http://www.crimson-ceremony.net/lost...m-10101-2.html .)

The place of manufacture, when it was manufactured etc. is stored in the matrix codes and IFPI/mould codes found on the data side of the disc. Please check the the metallic area right before the data begins for the matrix code, and the transparent plastic area closer to the spindle hole for the mould code. Can you please give me those codes?

I actually did some research on this pressing plant (WEA Mfg., now Cinram USA) a few years ago. If I get your matrix/mould info, and I dig up my old research, I may be able to say something (I may be able to place date of manufacture within a month/ a few months).

Please type them EXACTLY as they are written. Below are the codes found on my disc. (They may look exactly as yours, but please check for the tiniest difference. (There is also the possibility that your discs are pressed by a completely different plant, in that case I especially want the codes.))

The "disc to the right"-codes:

Disc 1 matrix code
wea mfg. OLYPHANT ifpi L9026 X13748 25 MCM 10101-2.1 02 M1S1

Disc 1 mould code
IFPI 2U3G

Disc 2 matrix code
wea mfg. OLYPHANT ifpi L9026 X13605 25 MCM 10101-2.2 01 M1S1

Disc 2 mould code
IFPI 2U3H

----

It's weird that it lacks the -2. That is usually put there to differ between CD, vinyl, or cassette. MCM-10101-2-1 would have been a vinyl LP, -2 a CD, -4 a cassette, and god knows what -3 is used for.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 02:47 AM

My codes are as follows, Anders:

(all 0 are zeros, except for the capital O in Optimax)

Disc 1 matrix code
G-005850C DIGID-PR767-1 OPTIMAX/CA 97462-1
(This is printed in that dot-matrix lettering you see on most CDs)

Disc 1 mould code
No mould code (really)

Disc 2 matrix code
A005851C DIGID-PR767-2
(This is printed in a sans-serif small capitals font, like a squished Franklin Gothic)

120 degrees across from this on the same ring in very tiny text and similar font is
OPTIMAX-Co.

120 degrees across from that on the same ring in even tinier text is
ifpi L912
where the "fp" in ifpi is stylized, like you'd see for "forte" and "piano" in sheet music

Disc 2 mould code
IFPI 7D2A

Mystery! Intrigue! I hope this helps.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 11:12 AM

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I don't have many Optimax codes to compare with, so there's nothing I can say about it (you're probably not very surprised to hear that matrix codes aren't very well documented on the Internet; in the Nirvana community, where I "come from", they are well documented, but Optimax never pressed Nirvana as far as I remember - at least not much). And as the two variations are pressed by different plants, I cannot date them relative to each other.

All I know is that the WEA disc is pressed sometime from 1999 to 2001.

It is not uncommon that discs are pressed at two or more plants simultaneously to get enough discs pressed in time. But the differences on the inserts suggests they were pressed at two different times - if done at the same time, it would make sense for Mars Colony to send the same master artwork to both plants.

Either way, it's no big mystery. I run a site about Nirvana releases, and we have three or four contenders for the very first pressing of the US CD release of Nevermind. In total there are tons of reissues, all with different matrix codes, and it's all a big giant mess. We're lucky with only two.

Not much more to do with this than to file it. I would very much appreciate high-quality, complete scans of front, back, and disc for my website, if you would be so kind.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Anders; Dec 19, 2008 at 11:18 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 07:38 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Interesting info all the same, thanks Anders and Judge Ito
Old Dec 20, 2008, 12:18 PM

Glad I could help, Anders. Here are your scans.

-------------------------------------------

300 dpi for everything (full size, compared to the slightly re-sized scans currently tied to the album), with 600 dpi for the disc codes. Sorry everything's so dusty. No matter how much I wipe it down, it still gets fuzzy. But the data sides of the discs were crummy to begin with (they are used, after all).

Last edited by Judge Ito; Apr 23, 2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 05:47 PM

Thanks, JI! I'll include the scans on my site soon. Please let me know how you want me to credit you if you wish to be credited, name/nickname, and link or email if you want your name to be clickable.

Carl -- if you're interested in knowing more about matrix codes, I've written a document which should tell you what you need to know: http://www.crimson-ceremony.net/pr3/.../intro_cd.html

It's a Nirvana site, but the info is general. Just using a few Nirvana releases as examples. Go to "Pressing plants" for a list of all the other different topics covered. The "CD pressing plants" link on that page gives a list of lots of plants and their associated mould IFPI, which can be handy for determining place of manufacture if it's not explicitly stated on the soundtrack.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 07:05 PM

"Judge Ito from VGMdb" would be fine, but credit isn't important. Again, glad I could help!
Old Jan 9, 2009, 10:11 PM

Anders noticed the barcode on the back scan has a hole going through it, which lines up with a cleanly punched hole going through the jewel case. I didn't think it was worth mentioning since I thought it may have just been the previous owner poking pencils through a hole in the plastic, but Anders tells me this is indicative of a test pressing or a very limited promotional run. If that's the case, should we re-classify this as a promotional release?

Old Jan 10, 2009, 08:27 AM
VGMdb Advisor

The UPCs used to be blacked out or removed (called "cut outs") on albums which the label gives out to the media for promotional review (radio, print, etc) to prevent a resale through retail. It used to be a prevalent practice in the industry, not so much anymore. Here's a quick reference page

Last edited by Carl; Jan 10, 2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 10:46 AM

I didn't say test pressing. (CD test pressings aren't really necessary, still there are discs which can be "called" that - http://www.crimson-ceremony.net/pr3/.../intro_tp.html (scroll down)). This isn't such a disc.

It's not really "limited", as it's just a standard retail pressing which was "made into" a promo.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 02:44 PM

I've added the disc to my website. It's not that I say so much there that hasn't been said already, but at least now they are cataloged:

"Judge Ito disc"
http://crimson-ceremony.net/lostrele...mcm-10101.html

Other disc
http://crimson-ceremony.net/lostrele...m-10101-2.html

Thanks for all your help with this, Judge Ito.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 02:46 PM
VGMdb Administrator

It just amazes me that they'd take an album that has a hole drilled almost the whole way through it, and sell it as a brand new CD.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 04:33 AM

Quote:
It just amazes me that they'd take an album that has a hole drilled almost the whole way through it, and sell it as a brand new CD.
But they didn't -- it was given to radio or magazine or whatever for promotion.. and it made it's way out into collectors' hands from there.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 04:57 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
But they didn't -- it was given to radio or magazine or whatever for promotion.. and it made it's way out into collectors' hands from there.
Oh, now I see he got it second-hand. I was thinking of another topic (with a variant CD but probably no hole).
Old Jan 13, 2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Oh, now I see he got it second-hand. I was thinking of another topic (with a variant CD but probably no hole).
It wouldn't surprise me if I lived on one of the coasts, but this came from a dinky shop in Middle of Nowhere, Iowa.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 04:30 AM
VGMdb Staff

FIND AN INCREDIBILE INFO ON THE FIRST PRINT (WITHOUT THE -2 SUFFIX).
I TAKE IT FROM AN EBAY AUCTION, SO READ:

Quote:
This is the 1st generation of the Resident Evil 3 Nemesis soundtracks that were published in the United States. Only 125 were ever produced, 100 were stolen and 80 recovered. The 20 that were stolen were sold at swap meets for drug money. I'm not kidding. How do I know this? My dad owned Mars Colony Music and this is left over stock that has been sitting in his garage. This is authentic and if you don't believe me I'll put you in touch with the ex-owner. These soundtracks are extremely rare and a must for any serious collector. Most of the soundtracks were trashed a few years ago so it's likely that there are very few in circulation.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by depa View Post
FIND AN INCREDIBILE INFO ON THE FIRST PRINT (WITHOUT THE -2 SUFFIX).
I TAKE IT FROM AN EBAY AUCTION, SO READ:
Thanks, bought it!

The story sounds suspicious/ weird at least, but the seller seemed honest during our conversation (like that proves anything! ). But the discs are definitely legit, story or no story. And finally..! Resident Evil/ Biohazard soundrack collection complete!

Last edited by Anders; Sep 8, 2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 02:47 PM

Wow, if that story IS true... Than I own 2 copies of the rarest Resident Evil soundtrack in the world. I just found one today (March 12, 2011) at a local used CD store for... $12. And I bought my first copy brand new from Media Play back when they were still available in stores.

Anyone know what these CD's are worth? Both of them are the -2 versions and eBay isn't a very good source since the only ones up are Buy-it-Now's at $99 and $125. Is that a pretty good estimate? Mostly I want to know if I should just sell off this second copy or keep it.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 05:25 PM

Sorry, the -2 version is the common one. It's probably worth a little bit more than the $12 you paid, but nowhere near the eBay auctions you just quoted (they've been on there forever).

As for the version without the -2, only 125 copies pressed does sound very weird. Most pressing plants would refuse such a low order as it's wasting their time. It IS rare though, weird story or not. You'd be lucky to find THAT for $12.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 12:40 PM
VGMdb Staff

Some tracks have different names/alternative compared to japanese release, but if I try to change them, also the japanese release changhes automatically the tracklist. Is there a mode to change the tracklist of this child release?
Old Jun 4, 2011, 12:42 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by depa View Post
Some tracks have different names/alternative compared to japanese release, but if I try to change them, also the japanese release changhes automatically the tracklist. Is there a mode to change the tracklist of this child release?
Yeah, submit a new tracklist on the child album. This will delink the tracklists.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 12:51 PM
VGMdb Staff

And then can I delete the first tracklist, right?

EDIT... it changes automatically ok!!

Last edited by depa; Jun 4, 2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 05:55 AM

2-23 - The Last Argument, in booklet - Arguement.