VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Apr 12, 2017, 01:03 PM

Somewhat silly question here. I'm familiar with the soundtest option in NGII and the titles of these tracks (for NGII) can be seen in the game. Am I the only one who believes that "Thunderstorm" and "Overdrive" were inadvertently reversed in the game's sound test?

You would think "Overdrive" would be track #9 (stage 2-1) because you are on top of a train; "Thunderstorm" would be track #10 (stage 2-2) because you have disembarked from the train and are now in a canyon with wind and rain where it is storming.

There's a part of me that feels the titles were switched, but obviously I have no proof. Has anyone else wondered about this? I'm probably reading too much into the setting.

Maybe something to ask in an interview if the chance ever arises?

Last edited by Brad Evans II; Apr 12, 2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 07:32 PM

There is also the possibility the music tracks themselves could have been switched. But I don't know...

It's too bad the NGIII music didn't get proper titles. :/

Also, I found out today that NGIII is actually a prequel to II:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBNUfO8A8Xc
Old Apr 12, 2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi QuestMaster View Post
Also, I found out today that NGIII is actually a prequel to II:
Yeah, it explains why some of the characters from the first game aren't in the second.

However, I found III to be a very unimpressive game. From a technical standpoint it does push the NES to it's limits, but the story is silly and I thought the magic from the first two games was gone. The only thing I thought NGIII improved on was limiting the knock back from coming in contact with an enemy. That can be deadly in the first two games when on platforms above pits, but then learning to use that to your advantage was part of the learning curve and experience.

NGIII was directed by someone other than the director the first two games; the same exact thing happened with the newer NG games. History repeated itself.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 08:53 PM

Funny thing, I remembered playing Ninja Gaiden II at a childhood friend's house long ago, and I swear it said Ninja Gaiden III.

Mandela Effect?

But seriously, it really doesn't matter what order II/III is.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 10:52 PM

What a surprise! I received my copy in the mail a few days ago. I wasn't expecting this until May. The NGII artwork looks beautiful! Anyone else get theirs?

Still haven't received Vol. 1 yet.
Old May 14, 2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi QuestMaster View Post
What a surprise! I received my copy in the mail a few days ago. I wasn't expecting this until May. The NGII artwork looks beautiful! Anyone else get theirs?
I got both the other day. Given the price I thought the booklet was going to be somewhat slap dash but no, they did a good job and the round-table discussion is VERY interesting.

I never gave much thought to the percussion in NG and NGII but holy crap is that important once you start contrasting to NGIII's music. Additionally, some of the jokes are pretty funny like Americans liking kanji. I've always like how Gaiden was written in Kanji in the title, so lol.

I do have to mention that some of the titles are incorrect however. For example, I don't believe "Game Over" on the NG NES tracks is the game over theme, it's a piece used in cut scenes and "A Long Way To Go" on NGII doesn't have the proper ending and just fades out.

That said, I'll still take any official release over the game rips I've had for years.

Last edited by Brad Evans II; May 14, 2017 at 07:34 AM.
Old May 14, 2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Evans II View Post
I got both the other day.
I still haven't received Vol. 1. Now I'm getting worried.

Edit: Nevermind, it came in the mail yesterday.

Quote:
I do have to mention that some of the titles are incorrect however. For example, I don't believe "Game Over" on the NG NES tracks is the game over theme, it's a piece used in cut scenes
Edit: Yeah, I see now, some tracks have been swapped on the CD:
track 27 (Credits) is instead track 30 (Cinema Display Sound Attack 2)
track 28 (Game Over) is now a lower-pitched track 29 (Cinema Display Sound Attack 1)
track 29 is now track 27
track 30 is now track 28

NGII had a 'defeated' track as well as the game over theme 'All Gone.'

Quote:
"A Long Way To Go" on NGII doesn't have the proper ending and just fades out.
That's a shame. This track loops 3 times, and someone probably didn't realize it. They essentially made the same mistake they fixed from NG1's previous soundtrack release.

Last edited by Jedi QuestMaster; May 19, 2017 at 07:24 PM.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:03 PM
Trusted Editor

Updated times from CD. Removed the game notation since it's not on the inserts.