VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 9, 2011, 04:11 PM
VGMdb Administrator

There is some more info here that might help you with the credits:

http://joshinweb.jp/dp/4988064141128.html
Old Nov 11, 2011, 10:02 AM

Yeah, I know about it, but haven't used that page yet because I wanted to do some research on those credits first, since I had occurences of joshinweb credit infos not always matching the ones given in corresponding booklets.

I'll get around to add them later cause I don't think I'll find any booklet scan of this anyways; I just need to figure out most of those artist names in katakana in the lyrics/composition fields for the eurobeat songs, since eurobeat artist are a huge mess with all the pseudonyms they use (a bit like Bemani in-house artists), but I think cross-checking these with the help of discogs will help me get the correct spelling for most of them.

I have a little issue with how to input those credits though.
I managed to find a couple booklet scans from other Initial D albums (compilation albums, for what I could see) with the credits for a few of the songs from this album in it, but while the credits for the Japanese songs are alright, the credits format for the eurobeat songs is different and rather unclear.
To give an idea, they use the same credit format as in this one, so I was wondering what fields the artist names in parenthesis and the ones given after "Produced by" belonged to.

By comparing some of the song credits with Discogs and a couple other websites, the credits in parenthesis usually appear as "Written by" and the "Produced by" ones as "Producer:".

My guess would be the artists in parenthesis belong to the Composer/Arranger/Lyricist fields, and the "Produced by" ones are merely music label producers in the strict sense, which doesn't belong to any field, but I'd like to hear your opinion on this before I go and add artist names in the wrong fields.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 10:06 AM
VGMdb Administrator

That's interesting. I've never seen the producer listed for each track like that, so I'm at a loss too. I guess this Eurobeat scene has its own protocols. That producer could be a remixer/arranger, but we really don't know. In some of these cases, we may just have to leave some of our fields blank.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 12:51 PM

Apparently these are mainly for producers.
I looked for some of them on Discogs, and I think I can work out credits with that.

For example: Newfield - Sinclaire
They are clearly listed as "Producer" on Discogs, with one "Remix" listed in the credits.

While another artist like Dave Rodgers has both a "Production" and "Writing & Arrangement" fields in the credits.
Usually, there's only a "Written by" credit on individual album tracks, like this one, but I found some with separated "Arranged by" credits on them.

So I'm thinking about proceeding like this:
-Artists given in parenthesis in the booklet: Composer & Lyricist fields; Arranger field if given on Discogs.
-Artists given as producers: No fields, unless credited for remix/arranger on Discogs (in this case, Arranger field).
-Also maybe write credits as in the booklet in the notes so that would include the Producer credits, but I'm lacking such booklets for the Initial D albums I submitted.

Sounds fine?

I'm also wondering if it would be a good idea to create artist pages for those eurobeat artists. This would be mainly to keep track of who is who by adding aliases to each artist page (a bit like for Bemani artists such as Naoki Maeda or Sota Fujimori), so that one can easily know Giancarlo Pasquini and Dave Rodgers are the same person, for example, but since there doesn't seem to be many albums related to these artists yet (a couple Initial D ones maybe?), I'm not sure whether it's worth the hassle or not.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 03:27 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I'm a little more nervous now about making any judgments on what these mean based on credits from other albums. It's a shame that we're so loose with credits here in the West. Japan's system seems to have more rigidly defined roles, while here we have "written" meaning some combination of lyrics and composition, and "produced" meaning who knows what (but possibly including remix, mastering, arrangement, maybe even help with composition/lyrics.) But I'm glad you're thinking about this problem; maybe you'll discover the answer to all this.

I wonder if we should add "Producer" to our list of roles. We need to re-evaluate our current role list as part of the next phase of the products improvement. (Even if producer on these Eurobeat albums isn't what we think it is, it's still a role that we see in lots of VGM credits.)

I guess it's mostly up to you to decide whether you would like to add all these aliases. Eurobeat is outside of what we cover, and they only show up on a couple of albums so far, so I think it depends whether there are enough anime/game credits for them for it to make sense.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 05:52 PM

Well, I'll do as I said for the composer/lyricist field and won't bother with the producer lines, since I couldn't find all of them.

I won't create artist pages either right now. As you said, the number of albums in the database related to Eurobeat artists isn't significant enough when I'm not even 100% sure of the informations I have at hand.
I'm missing the identity of several vocalists behind the aliases used on this album, and finding them out would require digging through obscure message boards and websites for a way longer time than what I'm currently able to spend on this.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 04:37 AM

Ad covers.