VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 7, 2008, 11:54 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I was trying to figure out the correct translation of Track 34 "愛に時間を", when I found a Japanese Wikipedia article, of which the English version is known as Time Enough for Love. Then I read the first sentence, and it all made sense.

Time Enough for Love is a science fiction novel. Hiroki Kikuta is known for naming his tracks after science fiction novels. It makes sense that "Time Enough for Love" would be the correct English translation of this track title.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 02:39 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I just noticed this title was actually used in The Paladin's tracklist translation over at Chudah's Corner. I wonder if his translations are better than what we currently have.

EDIT:
His translation for Track 43 "最後から2番目の真実" is "The Penultimate Truth"... another science fiction novel.

Last edited by Kaleb.G; Sep 8, 2008 at 02:45 PM.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 04:23 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Yes, since we now know about how he names tracks after science fiction novels, any that would correspond should be taken as the intended names. Thanks for digging around and researching.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 06:37 AM
VGMdb Staff

Interesting to hear that was doing this already way back then. I guess he really likes his sci-fi novels, huh.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 11:27 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Many of the tracks on Lost Files were supposedly composed back around the same as SD2, so maybe it was only really done for a period of time. However, there are still sci-fi references in the track titles for his newer works, like Alphabet Planet (e.g. "Rossum's Universal Robots").

EDIT:
I'm going ahead and updating the track names that I have found novels for.

EDIT 2:
I also separated out the in-game titles into their own tracklist, since they do not seem to be part of the official track titles.

Last edited by Kaleb.G; Sep 9, 2008 at 11:40 AM.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 12:45 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G View Post
I also separated out the in-game titles into their own tracklist, since they do not seem to be part of the official track titles.
Yeah, those aren't part of the tracklist at all so they should be removed altogether. But since it may be of interest to people to know which track plays where/when, we could always make a note of this here in this thread...
Old Sep 10, 2008, 12:17 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Well, I had previously talked to staff about using an alternate playlist for metadata such as where the tracks are played in-game. Now you can see it in action right here. I think it would be cool if we could display multiple tracklists side-by-side.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 05:23 AM
VGMdb Staff

I'm not sure it's a good idea to start adding made-up tracklists though. I would've thought it'd be better to keep such additional information in the album's thread...

Last edited by seanne; Sep 10, 2008 at 05:38 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 06:05 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Do the English in-game titles come from some kind of Sound Test? We've been allowing those to be added as a separate tracklist (though I prefer seeing Sound Test in the tracklist title) because they represent a kind of official Japanese to English conceptual translation (as opposed to a literal translation.)

Otherwise, if those titles just come from where the song plays in the game, then they should be removed. That kind of info would be good for future track-medadata once we have it.

Also, I wonder if every title is actually a Sci-Fi novel....
Old Sep 14, 2008, 01:25 PM
Trusted Editor

Aren't those from the US-released soundtrack?

And what's the deal if soundtrack gets US-release, will you guys use those tracktitles as the officials even if they're not so literal translations? Atleast I would like to see literal translation in that case as a second tracklist option.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 01:46 PM
VGMdb Staff

If memory serves, there's no sound test in this game. I must say I'm not too wild about making tracklists out of such titles even if they do exist, though. Since they pertain more to the game than to the actual album as a separate entity. But using them as track-metadata for reference purposes [as would be a useful thing in this case] is another thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razakin View Post
Aren't those from the US-released soundtrack?
Not according to either the entry here or at gmr. Though we have no scans to verify. Maybe someone who own the album can?

Quote:
And what's the deal if soundtrack gets US-release, will you guys use those tracktitles as the officials even if they're not so literal translations? Atleast I would like to see literal translation in that case as a second tracklist option.
Unless the tracklist used in the overseas version could be regarded as having been a direct translation of the original, no, I don't see any reason to do that. They are separate entities after all.

Last edited by seanne; Sep 14, 2008 at 01:52 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 02:12 AM

I would suggest to delete the "English-in-Game" Tracklist because it doesn't make sense to have it. I would rather prefer a "Translated Japanese Tracklist" and a "US Release Tracklist" at every SD2 OST Entry because it's somewhat confusing for people outside of the VGM-world.

The game doesn't come with a Sound Test, like said before.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 01:25 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I removed the in-game tracklist and am storing it here for now:

01 Title 1:42
02 Empire South Town 1:30
03 Sad Town 1:27
04 Field Theme 1 1:09
05 Dyluck is Alive 1:01
06 Field Theme 2 1:56
07 Joyous Town Theme 1:24
08 Goblin Dance 1:19
09 Field Theme 3 1:49
10 Salamander Theme 0:51
11 Dwarf Theme 0:47
12 Intro 1:04
13 Grotto 0:59
14 Desert 1:11
15 Upper Land Forest 1:03
16 Crystal Forest 1:03
17 Theme of Sorrow 1:47
18 Witch's Castle 2:09
19 Boss Theme 2:12
20 Victory 2:03
21 Jahha's Mountain 1:13
22 Flight Theme 1 1:30
23 Defeated Monster 2:12
24 Jahha's Cave 1:43
25 Ice Palace 1:00
26 Weird Thief Group 1:06
27 Sandship 1:37
28 Flight Theme 2 1:33
29 Flight Theme 3 1:12
30 Empire Palace 1:43
31 Mana Seed Palace 1:10
32 South Ruins 1:27
33 Manabeast Arrives 1:06
34 Mana Fortress 1:26
35 Pure Land 2:50
36 Thanatos Revealed 1:20
37 Battle with Thanatos 1:48
38 Thanatos Defeated 1:08
39 Randi's Mother's Theme 1:11
40 Mana Beast in Sight 1:08
41 Battle with the Mana Beast 2:19
42 End Title 1 2:01
43 End Title 2 2:47
44 Sleep Theme 0:32
Old Sep 18, 2008, 09:00 AM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 10:13 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Other than asking Hiroki Kikuta himself, any assumptions we make about the intended meaning will remain assumptions, so it's a safer bet to just use the original English novel titles as they are -- plus it comes with the benefit of a more "natural" phrasing, as your last paragraph mentions.

Unless you're talking about using non-English novel titles, in that case I have no problem with Les Huit Coups de l'horloge as the trackname for 八点鐘, and possibly others.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 04:11 PM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 05:24 PM
VGMdb Administrator

You've gotta admit that your example is a bit of a stretch, considering that "Fail-Safe" is not really sci-fi. We're not trying to grab every random English title that just happens to correspond with the Japanese title. (On the same note, the French novel you mentioned isn't sci-fi either...)

There's more than enough evidence (which is already presented in this thread) that he took at least some of his titles from sci-fi novels, so that part isn't made-up. I'm sure Kaleb did the proper research for any track titles he matched.

Comparing the current tracklist to the original Japanese, most of the chosen translations are still reasonably close. And as a counterpoint to your post, "The Penultimate Truth" for track 43 is arguably a much better translation than "The Second Truth From the End".
Old Sep 18, 2008, 11:51 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

The next time somebody interviews Kikuta, they need to ask him about his sci-fi novel fetish. Then maybe we can have some closure.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 03:43 AM

Simple question:

Quote:
03 薔薇と精霊
03 Phantom and...a Rose...
Where did the ellipses come from?
Old Sep 19, 2008, 09:16 AM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 11:32 AM

Where would we be without Undine? If the Hard SoM ROM-hack is anything to go by (which I am currently playing), absolutely nowhere.

Um, anyway. I would go with method #2 myself, though it's probably not a popular opinion. The great thing about video game OSTs is that by the very nature of releasing the soundtrack separately from the game, the music is no longer intrinsically linked, thus there is no obligation for track titles to remain consistent with their in-game usage. It's just a separate album of music, in my eyes, though that's probably another unpopular opinion. I've always been interested in the song titles for this soundtrack though. I've seen numerous different interpretations and never really knew what's what. Glad to see this thread clearing it up.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 09:41 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I'm for using literature titles, but there is the possibility of some titles being coincidences rather than references. I know Kikuta doesn't only use sci-fi novels, but to which extent did he actually go in referencing literature for his titles?
Old Oct 4, 2008, 01:10 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime Blue View Post
As you said, the track naming was never limited to sci-fi novels
I didn't know that, thanks for your detailed research. I guess that changes things considerably since, as Kaleb said, now that the scope is thrown wide open we can't know for sure whether the matches are coincidential.

I dunno if it has to be "one way or another" though. There's some references that fit the original Japanese titles quite nicely, some not so much. Maybe if we narrow down the list of what you guys regard as iffy tracktitles, that's something we can work off from.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 04:19 AM

I'm debating whether to search for this release or the jewel case one. Is there any major difference between the two releases, aside from the first print collecting factor?

MAH BOI, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!!
Old Jun 11, 2009, 04:35 AM

Other than the packaging, I don't think there are any differences between the two.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 05:46 AM

Do you mean they're also similar regarding featured art and inserts?
While I knew the packaging was different, I'm just wondering if one album features more art / inserts than the other.

Old Jun 11, 2009, 06:21 AM

Oh, well that I don't know. Guesses are empty as air, but I'm guessing that it has(?). Wouldn't imagine it not containing a booklet, for instance. Maybe the back and tray images from the 2004 reprint aren't included in this one(?).

I'm sure seanne could corroborate. =)

Last edited by PsychoZeke; Jun 11, 2009 at 06:24 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 07:05 AM
VGMdb Staff

First of all, PSCN-5030 and NTCP-5030 are exactly the same (apart from cat. numbers, release dates and such, and one line of text on one page.)

As for this original print, like all of these "book-case" releases in the N**D catalog line, it has a booklet where the front cover is glued stuck onto the inside of the book cover. And it does have 4 additional pages over the reprints, with some more clay-figure art. And the art used for the inlay/tray on the reprints is used on the booklet back cover. Additionally it also has a different design for the disc. The only thing the reprints have that this one doesn't is the different disc art. Oh, and the reprints' booklets are somewhat smaller as well. =)

Last edited by seanne; Jun 12, 2009 at 03:57 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 07:21 AM

Thanks for the clarifications, seanne. =)
Old Jun 11, 2009, 11:07 AM

This finally cleared all of my doubts. Thank you, guys. It was really helpful