VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 15, 2012, 08:08 PM
VGMdb Administrator

The staff page (booklet 28) credits two TOSE audio people under "Game Boy Version" (ゲームボーイ・ヴァージョン): Akihito Suita (吹田 明仁) and Yoko Matsutani (松谷 陽子). This is the only appearance I'm aware of of Matsutani's name in kanji; TOSE game credits tend to be in English so it's pretty hard to confirm the names of most of their guys in Japanese.

I have no idea what "Game Boy Version" means here, though. My initial thought was they did the GB arrangement or sound programming, but nothing like that appears in the credits: http://www.geocities.jp/bgrtype/gsl/...qmonsters.html. There are two people credited with "music compose assist": "ASD・BAT" and Kazuki Kikutani. Of course, Sugiyama is the only person credited for composition in the booklet. 8)
Old Mar 8, 2013, 02:34 AM

This is interesting. Thanks for posting! There is a SWITCH-E credited in many Super Famicom games by Tose, and a Japanese composer told me all they remember is that their name was Suita, so this must be the guy! This'll be a valuable piece of info for VGMPF!
Old Oct 25, 2021, 02:51 PM

My guess would be that ASD・BAT = Akihito Suita and Kazuki Kikutani = Yoko Matsutani as Tose has a history of employees using pseudonyms in the 90s and early 2000s, see Ichiro Kohmoto. I'm pretty sure their role on the game was relegated to programming the sound data for the Game Boy, maybe with one or two tracks of the 10 new compositions contributed by them. Much of the soundtrack was lifted from DQ1-6 as sort of a greatest hits of the series but that's not to say the new material isn't great, too. It's rather astounding actually that the music doesn't get grating or repetitive after the first few hours of gameplay. It has that SimCity (SNES) quality to it that makes it very listenable.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the English versions of Dragon Quest Monsters specifically list ASD・BAT and Kazuki Kikutani as Tose personnel. And Dragon Quest Monsters 2's Japanese ending credits Yousuke Matsutani as "music compose assist", while the album credits 高永英典 (Hidenori Miyanaga) and 松谷陽子 (Yoko Matsutani) as game sound programmers. I'd say that's strong evidence supporting the Game Boy sequencing theory and somewhat arbitrarily chosen pseudonyms (note that Yoko Matsutani was seemingly credited twice with a male given name in the games' endings).

As an aside, the only track whose PlayStation version I found to be superior is "Never Ending Journey". It reminds me of some song from the 80s or 90s but I can't quite put my finger on it. "Break My Stride"? The German title theme of the Mila Superstar anime?

Edit 2: Found it! It's "The Riddle" by Nik Kershaw. Not exactly the same, but it's certainly reminiscent of it with the bass and the progression of the chords.

Last edited by zierts; Nov 11, 2021 at 01:08 PM.