VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:35 AM

Default VGM on itunes

How do people find VGM on itunes? I search for an album that I know is on there and then follow the breadcrumbs to other albums using the "people who bought this also bough..." list. Viewing the "Soundtrack" genre is useless because its mostly move and TV soundtracks. Any tips?
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:27 PM

iTunes is crap for vgm! Especially if you're not in the US or Japan. Even then, it only seems to have the most popular releases, like Final Fantasy etc.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:52 PM

It has a whole bunch of Falcom, Konami, and Namco, but you have to know where and how to look. Search company and artist names to see what's available.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkthunder84 View Post
iTunes is crap for vgm! Especially if you're not in the US or Japan. Even then, it only seems to have the most popular releases, like Final Fantasy etc.
Actually, I've been repeatedly surprised how much they have now, at least in the US. Namco has a ton of obscure stuff, Yuzo Koshiro, Zuntata, Konami, etc... I picked up Kaiser Knuckle not that long ago

But yeah the main thing is I can't figure out the total catalog because of the crap organization. Shopping in the iTunes store seems to suck in general.

Are there better digital sources for VGM?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:08 AM

Whether or not there are better digital sources, I think that eBay is the most overlooked source for any type of music.

Aside from a few rare imports that sell for hundreds of dollars, you can often find CDs that are just a year old for a buck. My brother bought 50 such CDs from a seller overseas. They almost always have the original cases and covers. You get a better, lossless product than you would online - at a fraction of the $0.99 cost that is standard on iTunes for many tracks.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintin3265 View Post
Whether or not there are better digital sources, I think that eBay is the most overlooked source for any type of music.

Aside from a few rare imports that sell for hundreds of dollars, you can often find CDs that are just a year old for a buck. My brother bought 50 such CDs from a seller overseas. They almost always have the original cases and covers. You get a better, lossless product than you would online - at a fraction of the $0.99 cost that is standard on iTunes for many tracks.
Wow, good luck. Your brother got VERY lucky. That is not the norm on ebay. It is actually pretty devoid of VGM these days. Even the bootleg sellers seem to have cooled off immensely.

But yes, that is one major reason I prefer to buy a CD, that it can be ripped to lossless. As a principle, I refuse to pay for lossy music files.

Edit: Oh, yes, for REGULAR music, that is true. Did not catch that part. Either ebay or Amazon Marketplace.