VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 13, 2010, 03:23 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Another round of SNK detective work: turns out Captain Bero-ou is an alias of Misao Senbongi.
(See post below)

Works as Bero-ou:
- Garou Densetsu Real Bout 2 (1998)
- Samurai Spirits Shinsho / Warriors Rage PS1 (1998)
- Metal Slug X (1999)
- Metal Slug 3 (2000)

Last edited by Dag; Jul 14, 2010 at 02:50 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:18 PM

Great info and find, Dag!
Old Jul 14, 2010, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
- In the Metal Slug Complete Box (2006) liner notes, Bero-ou comments she is(was?) in Capcom working on: Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe, Biohazard 4 and Sengoku Basara 2.
- Senbongi is the only composer that fits for DMC and BH4.
Interesting, but are you sure Bero-ou was involved in those projects as the composer? His (I don't know the real gender of this person, but as Beru-on uses '僕', I suppose this person is a man for now) comment confirms he doesn't compose music after Metal Slug 3 and is only working on sound effects these days.

Quote:
そうそう、僕は今、音響効果が専門で曲はもう作ってないんですよ。『メタスラ』のときもSEの仕事のほうが 多かったですからねー。そう考えると僕のコンポーザーとしての遺作は『メタスラ3』!!ってことになります ね。
I know you can translate it better, but a rough translation of the quote is like; In fact, I'm now specialized in sound effects and no longer compose music anymore. Even in Metal Slug series, I was more responsible for sound effects than composition. That means my last work as the composer was Metal Slug 3.

If it's Senbongi, the comment "my last work as the composer was Metal Slug 3" turns out to be flat out a lie. So I'd bet Beru-ou is someone who appears as the sound staff common to those Capcom games.

Last edited by Cedille; Jul 14, 2010 at 02:32 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 02:55 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Bah! I can't believe I missed that. I should have known better and recheck throughly first. In my defense(?) I glanced and misread the little box that says Bero-ou works as a "sound DESIGNER" as "sound CREATOR" and assumed too much.
Sorry everybody, really!

So in the Metal Slug Complete Box (2006) liner notes, Bero-ou comments he was in Capcom working as a sound _designer_ on: Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe, Biohazard 4 and Sengoku Basara 2.

The most likely sound designer candidate is Yoshihiko Wada. I'll check Basara 2 credits to confirm.
EDIT: yeah 和田由古? 和田由彦? (Yoshihiko Wada) is one of the sound designers there.

Last edited by Dag; Jan 7, 2011 at 03:14 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 04:54 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Would you say you're confident enough that Yoshihiko Wada = Bero-ou to link them up with artist entries? I'm going through JASRAC's listings for Sengoku Basara 3 Utage and Wada (as 和田 由彦) has a music credit.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:49 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Pretty sure, because if IIRC he had some blog entries at Capcom with some extra hints, but I'll look into it later to connect all dots.

EDIT:
Bero-ou's credits from the Metal Slug Box liner notes ("sound designer at Capcom" ~2006):
- Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe, Biohazard 4, Sengoku Basara 2

Yoshihiko Wada's credits from Capcom's blog
- Viewtiful Joe, Biohazard 4, Sengoku Basara 2, etc.
(this blog also identifies him as the sound effects dude in Biohazard and Basara series)

Relevant sound designer credits:
- Devil May Cry
Chief Sound Designer : Hideaki Utsumi
2nd Sound Designer: Yoshihiko Wada

- Viewtiful Joe
Sound Design: Yoshihiko Wada

- Sengoku Basara 2
(to recheck, was all in kanji; there were some extra guys)

- Biohazard 4
Sound - Lead Sound Designer: Yoshihiko Wada
Sound ‑ Sound Designers: Yoshito Kato, Shuji Takagi
Sound ‑ Special Thanks: Atsushi Mori

Wada's credits at mobygames doesn't seem to include any other games before 2006.

Thus, specially given he's Viewtiful Joe's only sound guy, they must be the same guy.

Last edited by Dag; Nov 17, 2011 at 06:29 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 04:50 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Sounds good to me. Just wanted to make sure the link was solid after the initial misassociation. Thanks for double checking!

And I'll just drop this blog post here: http://www.capcom.co.jp/sound/blog/20080220_10436.html. Says he was 34 at the time (February 20, 2008), which should put his birth year as 1973 or 1974.