VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 24, 2021, 01:35 AM

Default Trustworthy sources for tracklist submissions

Hi everyone,
I have a few questions related to the updated tracklist submission rules.

In the last few years I've been doing mostly tracklist romanizations, and my workflow was usually to pick an album I want to work on, see if I can find something official looking that already has a transliterated tracklist, and if I can't find anything just do it myself. With the new guidelines I am unsure if that's still acceptable.

First of all, is there any criteria that needs to be fulfilled for a source to be considered trustworthy?

While the easy answer might be 'official material only', it's not always that clear cut for romanizations. More often than not publishers provide a tracklist in japanese but no translation, let alone a transliteration.
Databases like jasrac are often hit and miss.
Stores and streaming sites that act as official distribution channels sometimes do provide transliterations, but it's always a dice roll if they are usable or if the site went the cdjapan route of running the tracklist through google translate and calling it a day.
Ironically, the most reliable resource for reference in a lot of cases are fan wikis, since submissions there are usually done by actual humans and, to a point, peer-reviewed. Unfortunately wikis are anything but official and it's debatable if they can be called trustworthy.

Considering a reference [for transliterations] to be reliable is more often than not a judgment call and may need to happen on a case-by-case basis even for sources that are generally trustworty.
I'm wondering if there are guidelines to make educated decisions in that regard to avoid situations where tracklist submissions are considered invalid because the submitter deemed a certain reference good enough while others disagree.

What to do if you can't find an already transliterated tracklist for an album from a source that can be considered trustworthy?
Even more so for bonus material commonly found in limited edition albums, e.g. https://vgmdb.net/album/112310? I have almost never seen any official sources with romanized or translated titles for bonus tracks.

In these cases, is it fine to go ahead and transliterate tracklists yourself and note so accordingly in the submission comment or are we taking a hardline stance, saying that we only accept officially transliterated tracklists or no transliteration at all?

What about reasonably simple tracklists, etc:
https://vgmdb.net/album/115857
https://vgmdb.net/album/114653

Both of these cases were simple edits with close to no possibility for misinterpretation (typos notwithstanding) because they are limited to few common words and/or all the information was already available in the album notes and just needed to be copy-pasted.