VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 10, 2017, 06:50 AM
Trusted Editor

Marked it as bootleg. I'm fairly certain this is not an official Scitron release. No cat. number, poor print quality and nowhere promoted in any form.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 08:57 PM

This may be a bootleg, but Pony Canyon did release at least one tape in 1991 (PCTB-00013), making the notes inaccurate.

If this album was planned, it would have been released in March 1991, between PCTB-00012 and PCTB-00013. Final Fight did get a tape release (PCTB-00008), although it seems to have been packed differently, with two single tape cases stored inside a cardboard slipcase.

While it lacks copyrights and logos, it seems like a lot of trouble making a bootleg in a different format which requires shuffling around tracks to make them fit the new media. It's also like, the only bootleg tape we've ever seen?

Besides, it's not like they were afraid to show their information in 1994 on a CD, for one of the most famous games by one of the most famous companies: this thing. I find it strange that this tape has no logos at all.

I don't know... I'll try to take some better photos and scans of my copy. I do agree it smells fishy though. The cover is straight from the CD release with a piece of Scitron still visible, and the tracklist has mistakes like U.N. Navy instead of U.S. Navy. Like someone typed it all over again in a dark basement.

Suicider, is the scanned copy yours? Where did you get the photos or the tape?

Last edited by LuxKiller65; Sep 28, 2020 at 09:06 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 08:58 AM
Trusted Editor

The pictures were pulled from an eBay auction long ago. Still don't believe this is a legit release. Too many red flags for me.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 05:23 PM

most likely you are right
but technically it's not a bootleg, since there is no official tape counterpart
should be unofficial/unlicensed
Old Sep 29, 2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxKiller65 View Post
but technically it's not a bootleg, since there is no official tape counterpart
should be unofficial/unlicensed
Wait, since when is this a rule? We have a ton of unofficial vinyl stuff marked as bootleg even when there's no official counterpart. Theft is theft.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 07:11 PM

just teasing
at least it's uncredited theft, unlike all the recent vinyl stuff where they put logos like they're proud of it
Old Oct 5, 2020, 05:01 AM

Updated scan of whole sleeve. Photos of cassettes coming up soon.

The recording quality of this thing is an absolute monstrosity. I had a good laugh with the random changes in pitch and the unbalanced highs that left me almost deaf. the 5 people who bought the 5 copies ever made of this release must have been confused.