VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 18, 2009, 07:08 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Hiro worked in this soundtrack too:
"We also had help from the sound team at SEGA, specifically from Hiro. Even though he was incredibly busy, he took a special request from director Hideki Kamiya to work with us on the Bayonetta soundtrack. With his full-on band style, he really added a new element to the sounds of Bayonetta. What did he record for us? …That’s a secret for now, but you have something to look forward to!"

http://platinumgames.com/2009/09/18/...2%80%93-vol-2/
Old Sep 18, 2009, 07:45 AM

Wow, 5 discs? You don't get too many of those. Color me intrigued.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 12:06 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Hideki Kamiya must enjoy really large soundtracks. Okami was also 5 discs longs.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 12:31 PM
VGMdb Advisor

This is quite unexpected for an action game. But with an all-star sound staff like this, this is going to be awesome.

It's great to have so many details about the soundtrack before the release of the game. I'm quite surprised to see Helena Noguerra here. Really looking forward to it.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 05:21 PM

Wow, two welcomed surprises there. Ueda's action tracks in DMC1 were one of its strong points (gotta love the Phantom battles), so it's nice to see he'll have some involvement. And on top of that, Hiro: Interest level rising.

MAH BOI, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!!
Old Oct 28, 2009, 04:08 AM

Location: Heaven? No no, what's that other place that starts with H? Oh yes, home. :-)

After hearing some of the music, I'm definitely looking forward to the original soundtrack! The price looks right too.

One man was smart, he felt smart. Two men were smart, they smelt farrr...darn it! I'll never get it right.

What is "the box" that people are supposed to think outside of anyway? Hmm. Maybe it's similar to the Borg from Star Trek who dwelled as a collective hive-mind within a...box/cube. Those that deviated from this hive-mind would, in effect, be thinking outside of the box. it has both a figurative and a literal meaning.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 03:46 PM

Shouldn't the disc number for the Featured Classical Composers be Disc 5 and not Disc 4? I've changed it to reflect this.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 08:01 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Reverted Disc 5 track 15 to "Fantaisie Impromptu" since that's how Chopin's piece is spelt.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 09:57 PM

Just started listening to this tonight. Love d1t2 "One of A Kind."

Also very excited to see Ueda on here.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 02:33 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
Reverted Disc 5 track 15 to "Fantaisie Impromptu" since that's how Chopin's piece is spelt.
I get from Google that "Fantasy Impromptu" is how it's commonly written in English. We should favor consistency, you might as well have Moonlight > Mondscheinsonate, Ride of the Valkyries > Walkürenritt and so on but I rather use all English.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 04:33 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I based it upon the Wikipedia entry. Could be personal bias too since I've only ever known it as "Fantaisie". Anyone know which title is more common?
Old Nov 9, 2009, 06:28 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Well, I've always known it as "Fantaisie Impromptu." Both words are in French, so it doesn't make sense to anglicize one while leaving the other.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:28 PM

I've been listening to this soundtrack and it is surprisingly awesome. My only complaint is Disc 5 is kinda a collection of reject songs but it doesn't hurt the first 4 CDs of awesome.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Both words are in French, so it doesn't make sense to anglicize one while leaving the other.
Not necessarily. Impromptu has entered the English dictionary now too, as both a description of a musical form and a general term for doing things without presentation. However, Fantaisie obviously hasn't. Obviously, there is a more general point underlying this (should we anglicise things or stick with their original names?), but I don't think this specific argument is quite valid.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 09:58 PM

I listened to this all day. My favorites so far are

Red & Black
Fly Me To The Moon (∞ Climax Mix)
ST12 Isabel Building - Lower Floors
You Can Call Me Father

Just to let everyone know, a selection in "EV30-1 The Journey Ends" is nearly a direct copy of "Macrotus" from Batman Begins.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Evenstar View Post
Just to let everyone know, a selection in "EV30-1 The Journey Ends" is nearly a direct copy of "Macrotus" from Batman Begins.
It wouldn't be the first time Zimmer's influence has been used by Hibino. Elvandia Story also had some extracts from Batman Begins and I swear I heard the main theme from Harry Gregson-Williams' score for Team America.

As far as the ost is concerned, amazing stuff. The stage themes are beautiful, the battle themes are epic, and awesome to see some retro arrangements too. I hope Bayonetta gets an arrange soundtrack like Okami *fingers crossed*
Old Dec 1, 2009, 08:33 PM

I really can't stop listening to this. I listen to certain tracks every day. It's such a great OST and has inspired me to buy this first day.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 05:09 PM

I'm still listening to this just about everyday. I think it's one of the best soundtracks of all time.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 03:17 PM
Trusted Editor

Can't really say the same about me, I pretty much don't get it why people are so excited about the score.

I tried to listen to it multiple times, but had to give up somewhere on disc 3 every time. Removed the score from my player after a week, considering I didn't feel any urge to listen to it.

The score probably works great in the game, but at least for me it doesn't give me that much for a standalone music experience. I also like the composers (Okami is a great work, Hibino did an amazing job on "The Outer Rim" or the 7th Dragon arrange album), it's just that I don't like this particular work.

I had high hopes after listening to the Rodin's Selection, but sadly they weren't fulfilled

I also don't like the scores for DMC. Taking into account that the gameplay style of Bayonetta is similar, maybe this explains something
Old Dec 17, 2009, 08:45 AM

Added the arcade games to games represented. I put the platform down as "arcade" since they've all been released on a multitude of platforms but arcade is the only one they all have in common as far as I know.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 09:50 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Soundscape View Post
Added the arcade games to games represented. I put the platform down as "arcade" since they've all been released on a multitude of platforms but arcade is the only one they all have in common as far as I know.
I don't think that the arcade should be added just because there are arrangements of old tunes from Sega arcades. As far as I know, the platforms field should only correspond to the soundtrack of the game that it is appropriate. This way gives the wrong impression that Bayonetta was also released for arcade. The same goes for the Rent-a-Music - Rent-a-Hero No. 1 Original Soundtrack.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoc View Post
I don't think that the arcade should be added just because there are arrangements of old tunes from Sega arcades. As far as I know, the platforms field should only correspond to the soundtrack of the game that it is appropriate. This way gives the wrong impression that Bayonetta was also released for arcade. The same goes for the Rent-a-Music - Rent-a-Hero No. 1 Original Soundtrack.
I see your point but I think a database should give accurate information. Since we're about video game music and the arrangements (and originals) are video game music.. why should we NOT mention them? There's no question either way that it's first and foremost Bayonetta's soundtrack. If people wants to know what platform Out Run was for they shouldn't have to google, that's what a video game music database is for.

I think VGMdb needs a way to associate the games presented to platforms because it can easily get messy like this (or with doujin albums covering like 14 games for different platforms). The metadata ends up being inconclusive as you say but removing the information is not the answer imo, instead make it clearer. Thoughts?

Last edited by Another Soundscape; Dec 17, 2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 08:43 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Soundscape View Post
I see your point but I think a database should give accurate information. Since we're about video game music and the arrangements (and originals) are video game music.. why should we NOT mention them? There's no question either way that it's first and foremost Bayonetta's soundtrack. If people wants to know what platform Out Run was for they shouldn't have to google, that's what a video game music database is for.

I think VGMdb needs a way to associate the games presented to platforms because it can easily get messy like this (or with doujin albums covering like 14 games for different platforms). The metadata ends up being inconclusive as you say but removing the information is not the answer imo, instead make it clearer. Thoughts?
Not disagreeing with you, but if other similar albums had not been added like this I thought it wouldn't be ideal. Also, I found this issue similar to the remakes soundtracks, since there is instruction not to add the platform of the original game.

If so add the games and platforms, similar albums also be modified, like Super Smash Bros. Melee, Segagaga and others.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
Can't really say the same about me, I pretty much don't get it why people are so excited about the score.

The score probably works great in the game, but at least for me it doesn't give me that much for a standalone music experience. I also like the composers (Okami is a great work, Hibino did an amazing job on "The Outer Rim" or the 7th Dragon arrange album), it's just that I don't like this particular work.
I agree completely. I don't think it's deserving of the 4.5 average it's getting here, either. I guess it doesn't help that a lot of VGMdb users vote like they're on Youtube or something (5s or nothing).
Old Dec 20, 2009, 03:32 PM

I don't know exactly what the policy is for romanizations, but "Isabel Building" in those two tracks from disc 4 is actually "Ithavoll Building" in the game.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 07:09 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ilpalazzo View Post
I don't know exactly what the policy is for romanizations, but "Isabel Building" in those two tracks from disc 4 is actually "Ithavoll Building" in the game.
Thanks for the heads-up, we should go with the official romanization (there's a pretty big difference between the two anyway), so I changed it (:
Old Dec 30, 2009, 09:12 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I've updated the translation based on the sound test with some cosmetic changes, now the names should be accurate.

Here is the sound test if somebody wants it.
Spoiler:
Title Call
Opening Scene
One Of A Kind
EV01 The Beginning
GM01 Chapter Start
EV02-1 Prologue
EV02-2 The Angels Descend I
Riders Of The Light
Fly Me To The Moon (∞ Climax Mix)
EV03-1 Driving With Mr. Enzo
EV03-2 Jeanne Appears
ST01 Crash Of The Transport Plane
EV04 Dance With Jeanne
The Gates Of Hell
EV05 Scarborough Fair
ST02 Vigrid Station Platform
Theme Of Bayonetta - Mysterious Destiny
ST03 The Old City Of Vigrid
EV06-1 The Angels Descend II
EV06-2 Bayonetta, Ready To Fight I
The Heavies
Summoning The Infernal Demon
Fortitudo - In Labors And Dangers (Movement 1)
GM02 Chapter Clear

EV07-1 Jeanne - Bike Action I
EV07-2 Battleground Of Memories
Battle For The Umbra Throne
EV08 The Angels Descend III
EV09-1 Luka Appears
EV09-2 Conversation With Luka I
EV09-3 Conversation With Luka II
EV09-4 The Angels Descend IV
EV09-5 Bayonetta, Ready To Fight II
In Trouble!
EV10-1 The Mysterious Child, Cereza
EV10-2 Appearance Of Fortitudo
EV11 Chatting With Fortitudo
ST04 A Town Swallowed By Lava
EV12-1 In The Nick Of Time!
EV12-2 Action!
ST05 The Catacombs
Angelic Hymns I
Angelic Hymns II
EV13 Fortitudo Returns
Fortitudo - In Labors And Dangers
Climatic Battle
Let's Hit The Climax

ST06 The Sunrise and Crescent Valleys
EV14-1 Battle With Jeanne I
EV14-1 Battle With Jeanne II
Red & Black
ST07 Ruins Of The Witches' Training Grounds
First Love
Heartbreak
EV15 Sexy Battle
EV16 Cereza
EV17 Cunning
EV18 Temperantia Appears
Temperantia - In Foregoing Pleasures
Splash Wave (∞ Climax Mix)
After Burner (∞ Climax Mix)
Magnificent 7 (∞ Climax Mix)

ST08 Paradiso - Graveyard Of Remembrance
EV19 Attack On The Battleground Of Memories
ST09 Paradiso - Sea Of Stars
EV20 Luka's Glimpse Of Bayonetta's Battle
EV21-1 Iustitia Appears I
EV21-2 Luka's Wild Idea I
EV21-3 Iustitia Appears II
EV21-4 Iustitia Appears III
Iustitia - In Giving Every Man His Due

EV22-1 Luka's Story At The Airbase I
EV22-2 The Eyes Of The World
EV22-3 Luka's Story At The Airbase II
EV22-4 Attack On The Airbase
ST10 The Giant Military Transport - Valkyrie
EV23-1 Battle With Jeanne III
EV23-2 The Crashing Valkyrie
ST11 Save Cereza!
EV24-1 Sapientia Appears I
EV24-2 Sapientia Appears II
Sapientia - In The Chouice Between Good And Evil
EV25 Luka's Wild Idea II
Space Harrier (∞ Climax Mix)
Wiwi Jumbo (Heaven Sent Mix)
Ev26-1 Before The Final Battle With Jeanne I
EV26-2 Before The Final Battle With Jeanne II
EV26-3 Before The Final Battle With Jeanne III
Blood & Darkness
EV27-1 Jeanne I
EV27-2 Truth
Ev27-3 Jeanne II
EV27-4 Miraculous Return!?
EV27-5 Bayonetta & Luka

EV28 To The Ithavoll Building
ST12 Ithavoll Building - Lower Floors
ST13 The Top Of Of The Ithavoll Building
EV29-1 Balder's Speech I
Ev29-2 Balder's Speech II
EV29-3 Balder's Speech III
EV29-4 Balder's Speech IV
EV29-5 The Death Of Luka
EV29-6 Balder
You May Call Me Father
EV30-1 End Of The Road
EV30-2 Bayonetta Seized By The Goddess
EV31 Jeanne - To The Heavens
Friendship
EV32 The Death Of Jeanne
The Greatest Jubilee
Ev33 The Demise?
EV34 Luka Views The Stars
EV35-1 Epilogue
Ev35-2 Romance
Let's Dance, Boys!
Fly Me To The Moon
Memory

Magical Sound Shower / Out Run
Splash Wave / Out Run
After Burner / After Burner
After Burner / After Burner II
After Burner With Melody Ver. / After Burner II
Boss/ Fantasy Zone
Theme / Space Harrier
GM03 Verse Result Jingle
GM04 Angel Attack
2008 Tokyo Game Show Trailer

Angelic Hymns (not in the sound test but named in the game)
Trois Marches Militaires
Quasi una Fantasia
Fantaisie Impromptu
Sonate in DK.448
Les patineurs op.183
Messiah HWV,56
(and three others I don't know)
Old Mar 8, 2010, 07:02 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I find it interesting how "In Trouble! - Prototype" was actually split into two tracks for the game: "In Trouble!" and "Infernal Demon Summoning".

Also, in "Mysterious Destiny - Retro Version", Ueda invokes a rather Capcom-ish feel. I wonder if he had some experience with the style while he worked there?
Old Jul 7, 2011, 04:15 AM

How come there are three composers (Norihiko Hibino, Takahiro Izutani, Yoshitaka Suzuki) credited for 56 pieces... I'm pretty sure they didn't all work together on the pieces.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarist500 View Post
How come there are three composers (Norihiko Hibino, Takahiro Izutani, Yoshitaka Suzuki) credited for 56 pieces... I'm pretty sure they didn't all work together on the pieces.
You're "pretty sure" of that, because...?

In the booklet, their pieces are credited to GEM Impact. There's a little commentary for most of the pieces, so maybe there's some composer specific information contained in them?