VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 4, 2008, 06:20 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Are you sure about the scans on this one? They look like the UK version (although the one that is up on the UK version could be wrong.) The catalog number confuses me too, as it comes before the UK one.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 07:16 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Check the disc scan, you can see the catalogue number on the center ring. So either the other entry has the wrong catalogue number, or both versions exist.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 07:24 PM

Yeah, I only submitted this because the catalog was different and the other one doesn't have a disc scan. I was tempted to say it's the other one, but you and fenixdown are the only people that can even remotely prove that the catalog number is right or wrong for the other disc.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 07:33 PM
VGMdb Administrator

We might have to check with Chris, since he's got a page up for the other catalog number.

http://www.squareenixmusic.com/album...ghter2uk.shtml
Old Oct 23, 2008, 10:56 AM
VGMdb Staff

Lost it today in an ebay.uk auction. The best bidder won it with 13.70 pounds.
Do you know if this album is rare?
Old Dec 30, 2008, 06:38 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Default S CM 001 02: Street Fighter II The World Warrior (U.K.)

I'd like to put out a call for anyone who owns this to verify that the catalog number (SCM-001-02) is actually printed on the sleeve or disc (and if so, it'd be great if you could supply scans). So far, I haven't been able to find any proof that this isn't just a typo on the cat number for this album:

http://vgmdb.net/album/9837
Old Feb 20, 2009, 07:43 AM

Hi, I have this disc in front of me. The disc matrix number is

S CM 001 01

not 02 as written here.
Here is a scan of the disc for proof. It is definitely the UK promo given away with Nintendo Magazine System (I bought that issue a long time ago ) There is no cat# on the slipcase. Hope this helps

Old Feb 20, 2009, 09:12 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Thanks for your answer wekzn but that does not entirely answer the old question "does the S CM 001 02 version exist or it's just an error ?".

Our best hope would be some answers (scans even better) from the following members (that claims to own this version):
Andy1977
Eirikr
fenixdown
John-Morris
Old Jan 19, 2010, 06:22 AM

Ack, sorry, I know it's been almost a year since this was posted, but I completely forgot about this site.

I just checked my disc. The sleeve doesn't have a number on it, but the disc does have S CM 001 02. I can provide scans if you need them.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 06:27 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Hey, fenixdown. Thanks for solving this mystery. If you could supply scans, that would be excellent.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:32 PM

Okay, here are the scans:

Disc - http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...1/sf2_disc.jpg
Front cover - http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13.../sf2_front.jpg
Back cover - http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...1/sf2_back.jpg

I bought the disc off of ebay about 4-5 years ago. It mailed from the UK and has both Nintendo and Capcom logos on it. The disc and cover have the "Official Nintendo Licensed Product" stamp.

If you need anything else, just let me know! Sorry again about the delay!
Old Jan 20, 2010, 01:05 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Thanks for the good scans fenixdown!
I added them with your credit to the actual entry.
(also changed the cat number)

Oh, and both entries should be linked no?

Are we sure the S CM 001 01 comes with a Nintendo Power magazine?
It does not have the logo anywhere like we can see on Play It Loud!

Last edited by Myrkul; Jan 20, 2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 05:42 PM

Thanks Myrkul! Sorry about the number being in the wrong format; I thought the dashes were just standard.

From the research that I've done, these are probably different revisions of the same disc, but I can't say for sure. However, both discs have "Nintendo Magazine System" written on them, which was a magazine released in the UK and Australia and later became Official Nintendo Magazine in the UK.

Here's the entry from Square Enix Music (the only other site that I've found it on):
http://www.squareenixmusic.com/album...ghter2uk.shtml

Nintendo Magazine System doesn't appear to have any affiliation with Nintendo Power but operated in a similar manner. I can almost definitively say that an equivalent CD was never published by Nintendo Power because if it had been, I would have it (I had a subscription at the time).

Sorry I don't have any definitive answers, though.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 02:38 PM

I've been doing some more research today, trying to find the Nintendo Magazine System issues that had the Promo CD. I finally found the UK issue: Issue 4, January 1993.

Here's a picture of it (I got it off of an ebay Ireland auction that had ended in Dec.):

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13..._1/nms_3_4.png

The ad for the promo CD is on the bottom of the magazine on the right; it's really hard to see but is there. Out of Print Archive has a couple issues of the UK NMS scanned but not the one we need. :/

I also thought that maybe the same issue was reprinted in Australia later in the year; however, the only cover that I could find is Issue 1, April 1993. So, I'll try to keep looking, but I'm not very optimistic about finding any more information. :/

I also found a couple possible copies on Amazon; I emailed the sellers for the catalog numbers, just to check.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 02:26 AM

I found this CD last night in my old console collection. Great condition. Is anybody interested in it?
Old Apr 28, 2010, 04:36 AM

Published by: Disctronics

Disctronics is a CD pressing plant, and certainly didn't publish this. People pull all kinds of funky information from matrix codes these days.

Further, the S means it was made by Disctronics UK, although it is a bit oddly placed. (They also had plants in USA and Australia). The 01/02 difference is probably not part of the catalog number, it just means a new metalized glass master (MGM) (master for creating various metal plates) was created from the same master tape.

So, the US and UK variations are not really "variations", it's just a second pressing (or a pressing done at the same time as the first, even) to be shipped to USA, with the matrix code to reflect the fact that they weren't created from the same MGM, but two different MGMs created from the same source.

If you really want to pull a catalog number from the matrix, that would just be CM 001. But I repeat my mantra on this forum: Don't pull stuff from the matrix code when you don't know what it means!

Last edited by Anders; Apr 28, 2010 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Final edit: removed my "MGM-shipped to USA" theory, as it wasn't a possibility after all!
Old Apr 28, 2010, 05:05 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Thanks, Anders. Finally the mystery is solved. So in effect, the two entries should be combined into one.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 05:24 AM

No problem.

From the notes for this item, the US version:
...but since the "Nintendo Magazine System" exists in the UK and not the US (I think?), this may have been bundled stateside in June 1992 with the Nintendo Power SF2 issue (38).

Do we even know if it was available in USA? That looks like a guess to me.

Some dude in the UK thread says he got the 01 variation in UK.
http://vgmdb.net/forums/showpost.php?p=6975&postcount=2
But that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Even though discs were sent to USA, these discs end up on multiple spindles after pressing, and after that they don't care about getting a certain matrix variation to USA, they could be mixed up.

But my guess? There's no USA release. There are two matrix variations just because of the manufacturing schedule (very common). Unless you know something which isn't written on the VGMDB pages.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurs View Post
I found this CD last night in my old console collection. Great condition. Is anybody interested in it?
Is it for sale or for free? If the latter, mememe.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 08:01 AM

For sale really, but open to a sensible offer. I notice you're not in the UK which might make it difficult, though?
Old Apr 29, 2010, 04:07 PM

What price are you wanting for it, just out of curiosity?
Old May 1, 2010, 07:09 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Okay, I've merged these two entries, so we are officially back to one entry for this CD. I put in some notes about the two pressings, and have included both sets of scans.
Old May 1, 2010, 07:27 AM
VGMdb Staff

Good to know.

Looking into notes, where does this info below come from?

Quote:
Strangely enough, it has sound quality superior to that of it's originally released Japanese counterpart.
Old May 1, 2010, 07:38 AM

The S may not be a part of the catalog number.

Disctronics had three plants, one in UK, one in Australia, and one in USA. Before IFPI codes became the norm, and long after actually, they kept their in-house reference system to see which plant had made a certain release:

UK: S
Aus: B
USA: USA (clever!)

The S or B or USA would usually be placed directly after DISCTRONICS, and the triple repeat on this disc is curious. This may have been how they did it in 1992, though - I don't have reference discs from that time to compare.

Personally I would label this N/A, but this place seems overly obsessed with catalog numbers. It's often quite random on promos, really, and especially in UK - they just write something, it appears. For example, there are three different UK Nirvana promo CDs made within two years with very similar prefix, and they all just have a 1 number or none: NIRV PRO 1, NIRPRO, NIRVA 1. Those numbers are all printed on the discs though, not only found in matrix codes (though they added a 1 after NIRPRO in the matrix!), so it makes sense to report them in a discography. CM 001 though.. meh.

My opinion anyway!

Tip: Search vgmdb for DIDX and DIPX. Failz!
Old May 1, 2010, 07:40 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah, we need to get rid of the DIDX numbers too. That's another whole project.