VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Oct 2, 2012, 01:11 AM

Didn't read everything to the last word, but please let me defend Hellacia a bit by just saying this:
look at DragoonEnRegalia's critique and compare it to mine in that Sonic 1&2 thread. They are strikingly similar, yet I was bashed for not owning the product and he not. I don't feel I'm persecuted or anything, but Hellacia isn't the only one sensing this... some people seem to have more cred/value than others and their opinion seems appreciated more. That's kind of a problem of this community. When it gets personal and offensive for no real reason, OK, that's not cool. But also think about what may drive people to such things. Remember to look in the mirror from time to time. Please don't start arguing again now (related to my post in the sonic 1&2 thread), that thread has enough of that nonsense, just some food for thoughts.

Last edited by Zethe; Oct 2, 2012 at 01:22 AM.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 04:13 PM

Hellacia: You used chord earlier in that post and then made that mistake later on?! Why didn't you use it the second time around! Then I wouldn't have made the mistake too, because that's totally why I made it, you said note and I wasn't even thinking and just followed suit, plus then we could have been spared Jormungand's lecture... (no, I'm just kidding, I fully own that mistake, I know better as well). But cheer up, Jormungand included me in his post too! So, you weren't being singled out or anything.

People will just be themselves: you are very raw and don't hold anything back when it comes to what you think about music - okay, you could maybe even try something called "tact"! And some people just can't stand it when somebody really crashes down on something they love. You have to understand, when somebody feels strongly about something and somebody else really bashes it, they will become combative and defend the thing they love, especially considering the intensity of the conflicting opinion. Your expressions of your feelings are very strong and so you can expect people's reactions to be equally intense.

Here, imagine if you had been talking about how much you enjoyed SaGa Frontier II's music and you "really liked the tension that Point builds by repeating the same note over and over again" or something like that. Do you think Jormungand would have had such a huge fit about your simple mistake? He probably would have nicely corrected you, if he even noticed at all. But since he loves SaGa Frontier II's music so much as to say it's one of the greatest VGM soundtracks of all time and you really laid in about how bad you think it is, he retaliated and used that mistake as his main weapon. I'm not saying this means you shouldn't have said what you feel about SaGa Frontier II's music! Just see where Jormungand is coming from and thus consider the source of his intensity. Like I said in my response to him in that thread, it was obvious he was bothered by it in ways other than just catching a terminology error (hence my hypothetical situation example here) because of how he went about handling it. Sure, he could have handled that a lot better, but... you could have used the correct term! (I'm still secretly blaming you for that.)

Anyway, I don't think it's so much that you're being singled out, though I do think that a little of it has to do with whether or not the majority agrees with you; if they do, they won't so much care that you don't use perfect language, but if they don't, they'll be happy to point out reasons you're wrong. I think it's just something you have to understand about how people argue and debate. Wow, I didn't mean for this to be that long and I'm not even quite sure I've said anything useful here, but I guess it's just discussion and discussion is a good thing.

Zetto: that doesn't really make sense, that's like giving your opinion about a painting and being discredited because you don't own the painting. Everyone's seen Starry Night, Mona Lisa, etc, we don't have to own it to see it and thus have an opinion about it. I don't see where everyone was going with that one. Weird.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 01:27 PM

You'll have to forgive my lateness on this reply. I wasn't able to access the internet for almost a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortavia View Post
Hellacia: You used chord earlier in that post and then made that mistake later on?! Why didn't you use it the second time around! Then I wouldn't have made the mistake too, because that's totally why I made it, you said note and I wasn't even thinking and just followed suit, plus then we could have been spared Jormungand's lecture...
Hahah, oh, so it's my fault now
Quote:
you could maybe even try something called "tact"!
This will be hard for me. But I'll try and see if it makes any difference. Maybe you're right and maybe people are so intense because I'm so intense. I've always thought it was because I was disagreeing about the BEST VGM SOUNDTRACK IN THE UNIVERSE OMG AMAZING () but maybe you're right.
Quote:
Here, imagine if you had been talking about how much you enjoyed SaGa Frontier II's music and you "really liked the tension that Point builds by repeating the same note over and over again" or something like that. Do you think Jormungand would have had such a huge fit about your simple mistake?
Yes.

I dunno, if someone went in depth about how much they hated something like... Fuujin Ryouiki Eretzvaju or something... some soundtrack I really love... I can't see myself really caring THAT MUCH that they didn't use a technical term correctly. I would probably say something like "by the way genius, it's chord, not note, get your facts straight" and that's it. They made a mistake or they don't know, who gives a shit. His opinion is still his opinion, and sure, I might let him know how much I disagree with his opinion, but mostly, when I post my thoughts about a soundtrack, I'm interested in finding people who agree with me. This isn't to say that I don't want people to post if they disagree with me. Of course, they have that right and they should exercise it. But I'm really looking for the person I can relate to in music. I think it's bizarre how much everyone likes Soukaigi and I'd get a kick out of someone coming into the thread and saying "I totally agree with you, this soundtrack blows". Not always going to happen, but worth seeing how many people agree.

Any other points you made I just strangely don't have much response to... the point is just there
Old Apr 12, 2024, 09:43 AM

No idea about all these discussions here that the music sucks or Jun Senoue does not have an edge but what I can say is, that I enjoyed the games and soundtracks for what they were.

The game was made primarily and foremost as a MOBILE GAME and judging by both the game and music it probably didnt even remotely have the budget the 90s STH had.

I think Jun Senoue composed some great tunes for STH4 but yeah, some are a bit too generic or have short loops. But others like the Metal Sonic Boss theme are amazing.

Also I think mastering wisely this release here is great. Almost no pops or clicks and crystal clear audio. The same can not be said about the official Masato Nakamura 2011 STH1 and 2 soundtracks which literally sounded like they were rendered and recorded on Mega Drive hardware and then limited to hell and back and pressed on the disc. No effort whatsoever went into the mastering of this release and the same can be said about the Sonic CD 2011 soundtrack with awful compression and badly edited loops and fade outs.

Bit of a shame STH4 EP3 never happened and generally STH4 is probably one if not the most hated Sonic game in the franchise together with Sonic Boom.