VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 23, 2011, 03:21 PM
VGMdb Advisor

For now, I only scanned booklet p. 01 since it contains all the useful information. My scanner isn't really functioning properly anymore, so I'll scan the rest of the album later on (hopefully when and if I get a new scanner). I spent 30 minutes on removing ugly dots and dust from the scan, that my scanner leaves on all scans, so I did my best.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:07 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I've been working on a better tracklist translation, but I couldn't come up with good translations for some tracks...

37 はじまりの日 <- I came up with "Beginning of the Day" which sounds more correct than all the other translations I've seen of this sentence, but I'm only getting 2 results on Google, so I guess it's... not a proper translation (ugh, I'll never learn Japanese particles).

23 怨敵退散

16 無礼講じゃ! <- WWWJDIC says 無礼講 translates to "Putting Aside Rank", which is pretty much our current title, too, and it's just God awful. I still don't get how じゃ would be applied either.

07 火炎婁 (かえんろう) <- Flaming Sheep (火炎 = Flame + 婁 = The Chinese constellation called "Bond" -> Aries -> ram -> sheep). Yeah, it's a bit crazy, but it sounds a bit better than "Flaming (Bond) Constellation" if you ask me. I think it may not be completely wrong since the Digimon series does have a character called "Sheepmon", and it seems to have an incendiary weapon of sorts.

03 こう見えても昔は... <- I'm still unsure if I got this right. I came up with: "Seeing the Past Like This..."

Would really appreciate if someone could revise these for me.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisto View Post

07 火炎婁 (かえんろう) <- Flaming Sheep (火炎 = Flame + 婁 = The Chinese constellation called "Bond" -> Aries -> ram -> sheep). Yeah, it's a bit crazy, but it sounds a bit better than "Flaming (Bond) Constellation" if you ask me. I think it may not be completely wrong since the Digimon series does have a character called "Sheepmon", and it seems to have an incendiary weapon of sorts.

I propose Kebabmon
Old Feb 3, 2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisto View Post
I've been working on a better tracklist translation, but I couldn't come up with good translations for some tracks...

37 はじまりの日 <- I came up with "Beginning of the Day" which sounds more correct than all the other translations I've seen of this sentence, but I'm only getting 2 results on Google, so I guess it's... not a proper translation (ugh, I'll never learn Japanese particles).

03 こう見えても昔は... <- I'm still unsure if I got this right. I came up with: "Seeing the Past Like This..."

Would really appreciate if someone could revise these for me.

37 - This translates to "The First Day". Think of "の" as representing an 's. It can translate as "of", but you have to reverse the order, which would make this "The Day of Beginning"; completely unidiomatic.

03 - The past is the subject here, as you said, but the "も" was left out of your rendition. It means "even", so it would be something along the lines of "Even looking at the past like this..." (More literally: "Even looking at it this way, the past is...")

Hope that helps! It takes time to master a new language. Just keep at it and you'll learn!
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:55 AM
VGMdb Advisor

After weeks of research I'm finally done with a new tracklist. Now for some explanations...

01 C h a r g e !
Video

02 "When We Want to Meet"
As translated previously here. Don't have anything better to come with myself.
Video

03 "Despite Appearances, the Past Is..."
Video

04 Sunny beat
Video

05 "Healing Breath"
吐息 is more accurately "sigh", but apparently it can be translated as "breath" also, and obviously, it sounds better.
Video

06 "Digging Holes !"
Well, I tried making use of the さ particle, but I couldn't come up with anything better.
Video

07 "Wearing Flames"
They were really being clever with this. I'm not kidding around. At first, I thought - since it is the kanji for the "Bond" constellation in Chinese astronomy - that they were in fact referring to the stars in that constellation or something.

So there's a part on the world map in the game that just barely resembles the constellation: compare the rou (ろう) sign here with the world map in the game, so maybe in some odd way they were referring to that... or the meaning of the sign.

At one point I even started to wonder if it was referring to "bond" somehow (which is what the constellation is called in English, apparently), because there's also some dictionaries saying it can mean... "tie" and "frequently". As skeptical as I was, I had to go look both of these words up, to see if there wasn't something I didn't know about one of the words. Well, look at that: tie: "A strong connection between people or groups of people, a bond.". In the game you're helping someone, so maybe they thought of that as a bond.

I found out there's a kanji variation: 娄 and this does mean "to wear". No other kanji (except for 婁 itself) have this meaning as far as I can tell (note that it's a current form of "wear"). I suspect 婁 can mean "to wear" just as much as 娄 since it IS a "variation". Also, the monster you're helping is in fact wearing flames. So ultimately I went with this...
Video
Dialogue

08 "Wonderful Air"
Well, "Delicious Wind" sounds dumb... I only found one reference to おいしい meaning "Wonderful", but at least it sounds better:
http://jisho.org/sentences?jap=%E6%A...81%97%E3%81%84
Pretty much just a copy/paste there.
Video

09 Tone Over Metal
Video

10 Tiny
Video

11 Maladjusted
Video

12 "Coin March"
"ジャンジャン" is really actually an onomatopoeia, but no matter how you turn it around, nothing is more accurate than the other. So I decided to go after what the sound comes from...
Video

13 Mmmechhhanicccalll
Video

14 Junkmaniac
Video

15 "I...am Dead Drunk"
I agree with Cedille's edit to "I", instead of "You", since です is written as if the "Dead Drunk" person/creature/whatever says it him/herself. Although, I added "..." between "I" and "am", to correspond the "ー" in "でーす".
Video

16 "Formalities are Abandoned!"
じゃ is most definitely a copula here, and not the conjugation meaning "now", "well" or "well then".
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0225401AAWamhn
Video
Dialogue

17 My stery
Video

18 "Let's Go Trumpet March"
トテチテタ is just another onomatopoeia (*sigh* why do I always run into these)... http://www.biwa.ne.jp/~toda-m/nanyanen/nanya02.html
"Trumpet March" is not exactly what it says there, but I tried being a little creative, and for once I think it worked!
Video

19 Strait of Ice
Video

20 Sanctuary
Video

21 Footsteps Echoing in a Wasteland
Video

22 "Those of the Fort"
I can't find another way to make use of the 者 kanji. And I really don't think it can mean "the", like I thought at first.
Video #1
Video #2

23 "Mystifying Enemy"
It's actually the enemies that confuses you, not the other way around. And it's only an expression according to WWWJDIC, so I used whatever came to mind instead.
Video
Dialogue

24 Gorgeous&Dangerous
Video

25 Dynochoral
Video

26 Dynochoral quit
Video

27 I Resort
I tried "I'm Resorting", too, but the katakana says "resort", so I wanted to stay true to that. FYI, I know してます implies doing something currently, but I really don't think there's any other way to accurately use "resort" alone. And I think "Doing Resort" or "Making Resort" could be misinterpreted... I'm not even sure that's gramatically correct.
Video

28 Under a Parasol on a Hot Day
Video

29 Road
Video #1
Video #2

30 Heavily Blowing Wind
Video

31 Fairy dizzy
Video

32 Calling from the Other Side
Maybe it could be turned into "A Calling from the Other Side"...
(no video unfortunately, I don't think it appeared in any of dal's playthrough videos)

33 Muddy Highroad
Highroad to match with track 29
Video

34 Full Gravity
Okay, this is a pretty strange title. But I happened to find an almost identical phrase: 迫力満点 (Full Impact). As I suspected, there was a tiny possibility that "満点" could actually mean just "full" or "perfect" alone, and not only "perfect marks" / "full marks". I went with "full" since there's actual proof that it can mean that. Just look it up on WWWJDIC.
(no video unfortunately, I don't think it appeared in any of dal's playthrough videos)

35 Conclusion
Video

36 No Need for a Goodbye
Video

37 Day of the Beginning
Video

Last edited by Nisto; Feb 13, 2012 at 12:11 PM.