VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 28, 2009, 03:43 PM

Does anyone have a copy of this album yet? I was holding off until I knew just how many tracks were original. The translation suggests that most of the songs come from the DXC and Curse of Darkness albums. You can hear the opening theme here, which sounds pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovq6TKQjGUU

Oh yeah, this image is also pretty cool:

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/ca...la_10_1024.jpg

Not quite sure how to translate 登場演出. Breaks down as とうじょう[appear on stage]えんしゅつ[production, performance] - opening performance? Or perhaps 'appearance'? I just translated it as 'Stage Production' as it makes no sense for some of the later tracks. 'Production' is used in several other pachislot soundtracks, but not this exact same kanji combination...

十字架 - Translated this as 'Crucifix'. Could be 'Grand Cross'. Second character 'kai' is a staff of some sort. Could even be a bishop's miter.

Chi no Rondo - Bloody Tears - Wrote the track name like this even though the DXC album lists just Bloody Tears.

Zutraulich - German for 'friendly'.

Couldn't find a translation for 'Trezire'.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 01:16 AM
VGMdb Advisor

My order should show up in another day or so. Scans will be upped ASAP.

OK, looks like 2 people did the majority of the tracks, and 4 others worked on just one track each.

Last edited by Carl; Jun 29, 2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 11:44 AM
VGMdb Advisor

1~29 seem like all new compositions, 30~35 seems like new arrangements of the classic tunes.
And the last 5 tracks are straight NES versions (!?)
Old Jul 1, 2009, 03:43 PM

Wait, are you sure they're new compositions? Tracks 22-25. for example, are all named very directly after Curse of Darkness boss tracks. If you could kick a sample or two our way, I'd love you for it - I've been slavering over this album for weeks, but living in mortal fear it would just be old tunes repackaged.

(also, I don't think it's that unusual to have some of the NES tunes in there, given the Castlevania series is pretty consistent with fanservice, like Konami in general)
Old Jul 1, 2009, 05:20 PM

Good example Dais. Most tracks are new compositions, it goes from 1 to 21, 26 to 29.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 10:42 PM
VGMdb Administrator

演出 means "performance" but it would probably make more sense if we use "scene".
登場 is "appear [on stage]".
That way 05 would be "Angela Appearance Scene" and 10 would be "Candlestand Scene".
Old Aug 5, 2009, 11:10 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Now that I'm listening to your podcast, Carl, Track 2 "Baljhet Mountains" is definitely straight from Curse of Darkness.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 05:57 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Yep my mistake, Michiru Yamane did 02, which is clearly stated in the Notes section...

(I had passed over the Curse of Darkness release, which is why I didn't recognize it).
Old Aug 16, 2009, 06:56 AM
VGMdb Advisor

There's a cameo appearance on the cover!

The "pink face" from the shenmue orchestra cover makes an apperance here on this cover as well!
Who knew it was so popular, eh?
Old Aug 16, 2009, 07:36 AM
VGMdb Staff

Nice catch
Old Aug 19, 2009, 10:54 PM

hey, while this topic is still somewhat fresh...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf4S2xZ9Zpg
Duet of Madness

The recurring bit of guitar (?) work that you can hear in the background throughout the whole of the song (it's there from the very beginning) sounds quite familiar. It keeps making me think of Mega Man X8. Does it seem familiar to anyone else?

There's also something very familiar about the electronic sounding instrument from about '21 to '26 in the backing of Phase Cluster:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTWbWE2R068

it's something I'm much more likely to chalk up to a stock sample somewhere, but the first is really getting to me. I really wish I knew who the "mystery" composer was on this,
Old Aug 20, 2009, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dais View Post
hey, while this topic is still somewhat fresh...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf4S2xZ9Zpg
Duet of Madness

The recurring bit of guitar (?) work that you can hear in the background throughout the whole of the song (it's there from the very beginning) sounds quite familiar. It keeps making me think of Mega Man X8. Does it seem familiar to anyone else?
Rockman X8 would've been my first thought as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dais View Post
There's also something very familiar about the electronic sounding instrument from about '21 to '26 in the backing of Phase Cluster:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTWbWE2R068
My first "instinct" (?)/musical rememberance was Shin Contra OST (also by Konami), clicked a few random songs and then found what I wasn't looking for: 09 SUBMARINE POWER PLANT by Sota Fujimori.

Or it's just my imagination.

Last edited by layzee; Aug 20, 2009 at 04:01 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 08:37 PM

Finally got a copy. Overall, this album is kind of disappointing because a good 50% of the disc is copies of old tracks.

Tracks 2, 22-25, and 34 are from Curse of Darkness.
Tracks 31-33, 35, and 43 are from Dracula X Chronicles
39-42 are from the FDS games (though oddly enough Beginning and Deja Vu Vampire Killer were never released as stand-alone tracks).

Of the remaining tracks, the majority are very short, with a few exceptions. Because of this, even though you could say 'the majority of tracks on the album are original', in terms of overall disc length, it's actually closer to only 33% original material (a full 38 minutes of the 60 are of songs we've already heard).

Some of the new tracks might have been really cool if they were fleshed out to say 2 minutes in length of the loop. The Divine Bloodlines mix isn't that hot, but Trezire de Spirit is probably the best track in the album and good on its own. Not worth the price of admission, IMO. Still, to have a pachislot soundtrack in its entirety is something new and interesting.

Quote:
演出 means "performance" but it would probably make more sense if we use "scene".
登場 is "appear [on stage]".
That way 05 would be "Angela Appearance Scene" and 10 would be "Candlestand Scene"
Yeah, I changed the translation because I didn't like how it sounded, but this is correct and should probably be changed back. A more literal translation would read 'X Appearance Production'. The production/scene. These are videos that will play when you get certain bonuses in the video pachislot games, and are basically cutscenes. Some of them are very rare. Can't say I've ever played one, so I don't know exactly how it works, but this is what I have been told

Quote:
The "pink face" from the shenmue orchestra cover makes an apperance here on this cover as well!
I thought it was more homage to the Rondo cover art... Not that this cover is exciting or anything.

Last edited by CaptainCommando; Aug 29, 2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 11:09 AM

What are the translations of 倉持武志, 津田俊輔 and 服部知香 ???
Old Oct 23, 2009, 03:26 PM
VGMdb Administrator

They seem to be rather obscure composers, and so far we haven't found a reading for any of them.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 08:08 PM
Trusted Editor

津田俊輔 could be Shunsuke Tsuda, atleast Ace Combat 5 has Tsuda as bass singer. Also there's this site, which seems to be the same guy.

服部知香 could be Tomoka Hattori who also sung as soprano on Ace Combat 5. This blog has gotten that from somewhere, but it could be still wrong.

Too bad that the composer is still very obscure, anyone wanna mail konami and ask? :P
Old Oct 23, 2009, 11:22 PM

Yeah, I also think the two were from AC5 chorus team (and I actually planned to make a separate entry of Tuda). The staff credit of AC5 provides each names of the chorus team in both Japanese and English

本間由喜江 Yukie Homna
浅井美保 Miho Asai
井上倫子 Michiko Inoue
服部知香 Tomoka Hattori
斉藤礼美 Reimi Saito
内山裕美 Hiromi Uchiyama
織田麻美 Asami Oda
山田真知子 Machiko Yamada
新井晶子 Akiko Arai
野原沙織 Saori Nohara
平社淳子 Junko Hirakoso
山下宏樹 Hiroki Yamashita
石侍潔 Kiketsu Seki
津田俊輔 Shunsuke Tsuda
佐々木純 Jun Sasaki
近藤貴路 Takayuki Kondo

The fact both Tuda and Hattori graduated from the same college also corresponds with the inside story about "The Unsung War" posted a few years ago.

Last edited by Cedille; Oct 23, 2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 06:21 AM
VGMdb Advisor

For some reason, pachinko/gambling amusement sound creators and video game console sound creators don't seem to travel in the same circles...

The new Japanese "Game Sound Creator's Alliance" specifically states in their opening message they will exclude pachinko and pachislot sound creators.

Last edited by Carl; Oct 24, 2009 at 07:08 AM.