VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:55 AM
VGMdb Administrator

If the Japanese Wikipedia article is to be trusted, "Illusion City" is a reading for 幻影都市, not a subtitle. I found a few sites explicitly noting it in the same way, although they were in the minority.

The title is punctuated as "幻影都市 〜ILLUSION CITY〜" on the Sega CD cover, and there are several places in the games and packaging where the title appears solely in Japanese, so I'm not entirely sure that's correct.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 11:29 PM

This is from the MSX version, not the PC-98 version. This is evidenced by EGG marking its MSX version as "remastered"
Old May 1, 2021, 10:44 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I'm sure at this point that JP WP is correct and 幻影都市 is indeed read Illusion City, thanks Phono for bothering to actually look at the Mega-CD case and finding the spines say "幻影都市" alone in Japanese on one side and "ILLUSION CITY" alone in English on the other. There's also the plain English hamburger logo that appears in various materials:

The December 1991 issue of MSX-FAN also refers to it as "幻影都市(イリュージョン・シティ)" on page 93, though I don't know how trustworthy that magazine is necessarily
Old May 20, 2021, 05:05 AM

Updated the English tracklist with more accurate transcription (Shaomei -> Xiao-Mei) and references to Buddhism (Matennou -> Demonic Heavenly King, Hachibushuu -> Eight Legions)
Old Dec 31, 2021, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aifread View Post
This is from the MSX version, not the PC-98 version. This is evidenced by EGG marking its MSX version as "remastered"
This is partly incorrect, the first half of the CD is from the MSX Turbo R version, while the second half of the CD is from the MT-32 mode of the PC-98 version.

To be honest, I have no idea why they did this, it's kind of annoying that half of both versions' OSTs were basically omitted from this CD.