VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 26, 2008, 03:07 PM

GMCL, SNESmusic.org, and a bunch of Japanese sites list Hideki Suzuki as the composer and arranger for this CD so I changed it. It used to say Go Saito and Masae Sakaide. I've had this CD in MP3 form for a while now and my tags say Akira Satoh and Masae Sakaide. Anybody have any hard evidence on this one?

-Mike
Old Feb 26, 2008, 08:06 PM
VGMdb Administrator

http://www5f.biglobe.ne.jp/~hankotu/etc.htm
http://www.critical.ne.jp/~kaze/gm/gm_1990.html

Both pages list ズーム・リバーシブル・バンド, or "Zoom Reversible Band" as the composer (search for ラグーン).

http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/j...9?u=iibinbokun
If you look at the top picture you can indeed just make out ズーム・リバーシブル・バンド in the credits. A portion of the tracks are arranged by someone else, but at least we've got a lead.

Edit: This should teach me to actually look at the covers section first

Composed by Zoom Reversible Band
1~5: Arranged by Masae Sakaide
6~36: Arranged by Zoom Reversible Band
Performed by Zoom Reversible Band

There you have it.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 05:49 PM

Brilliant. That's funny, I know I looked at that back cover scan at least five times and I never noticed the credits on the bottom. Thanks Blah!

-Mike
Old Mar 31, 2008, 01:40 AM

I changed the arranger's name from Masae Sakaide to Masami Sakaide (see this thread for info: http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1799#post1799). The correct name won't show up on the page though, probably because the wrong one is linked to his profile. Could someone fix this?
Old Jun 26, 2009, 11:36 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
Edit: This should teach me to actually look at the covers section first

Composed by Zoom Reversible Band
1~5: Arranged by Masae Sakaide
6~36: Arranged by Zoom Reversible Band
Performed by Zoom Reversible Band

There you have it.
Refering to what's been done with Falcom albums, shouldn't crediting Hideki Suzuki be the new norm there ?
Old Jun 26, 2009, 11:40 AM
VGMdb Administrator

If you have an official source that credits Hideki Suzuki as the sole composer, then yeah.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 08:04 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Go Saito is in the album's packaging (liner notes) as a listed composer. I used to own the CD. Wish I still had scans.
Old May 25, 2010, 07:18 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramza View Post
Go Saito is in the album's packaging (liner notes) as a listed composer. I used to own the CD. Wish I still had scans.
Shouldn't that be reflected in this entry's credits then? I'd do something, but don't want to be presumptuous.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
I did make some scans, several years ago. They're not complete and not as large as what I do now, but they're better than nothing. Just uploaded them.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 03:23 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Go Saito is in the album's packaging (liner notes) as a listed composer.
I'm pretty sure he and Masami Sakaide aren't necessarily listed like that because they composed for Lagoon, but rather because they happen to be composers professionally. Misleading, but it's the case on a couple other of these Toshiba EMI arrange albums:
  • TOCT-5932 - only composer is Maki Shibata (booklet 2 and back), but all arrangers are also listed on booklet 1 with "compose"
  • TOCT-6381 - only composer is Yasuhito Saito (booklet 2 and back), but all arrangers are also listed on booklet 3 with "compose"

The game itself credits "Naizoh Uraomote" with music. Good luck figuring that one out!

The SNES version has no end credits. It just leaves you at the THE END screen forever. FOREVER
Old Jan 3, 2012, 03:56 PM

I dislike the linked review:

1. Lagoon has good music, but not as good as Ys III. Most of the tracks are too short.
2. The X68000 version of Ys III has one of the best renditions of the soundtrack. Compare to the FM Towns version of Dinosaur.
3. The reviewer wanted to compare the Ys III Special to the Ys IV Special and that is exactly what he didn't do.
4. The Ys IV disc seems to have general issues. Although it has some cool tracks, I end up going back to the SFC version anyway.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:40 AM

I thought this review was about Lagoon? The article you talk about in bullets #2-4 is the Ys article, not simply the Lagoon review by Gann. Not that there's anything wrong with what you said, but this discussion's about Lagoon. :|

Lagoon does have good music.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 09:33 PM

Those three articles are related; Lagoon links to Ys III which links to Ys IV, and the writer technically compares all three albums together. Thus, I just figured it'd be better to keep this issue in one place.

Last edited by Despatche; Jan 4, 2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 03:48 PM
Trusted Editor

- Updated times from CD source because the back tracklist is (as usual), not correct.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 02:44 PM

I would say Lagoon is up there as one of my top favorite video game soundtracks. The reviewer seems more focused on the arranges which sadly are lacking and makes other comments that don't really contribute to reviewing the actual game music.

Though there is a recent Egg Records digital re-release of the game's music with unused tracks, the quality of the 90s original soundtrack release is vastly superior.

Inevitably people will compare this to Ys, but Lagoon stands on its own for its wonderful music. The Super Famicom version is also great but it's a shame the song Dominion did not appear in it.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit_Chaser View Post
The Super Famicom version is also great but it's a shame the song Dominion did not appear in it.
Any idea why it didn't?
Old Mar 22, 2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
Any idea why it didn't?
From my understanding Dominion is an alternate town theme and probably didn't make it either because of limitations with porting it to the Super Famicom version or the developers might had not found a need to include it.

The composer credits to this game are very mysterious. The original game itself credits only one person who isn't even considered part of the Zoom Sound Team (at least according to VGMdb). I have listened to Zoom sound team extensively and I think there is more than one composer in this game if Hideki Suzuki is part of the sound team. Take for example This song from Genocide 2. It is remarkably similar to Moonchid but the composers for that game are supposedly Hideyuki Shimono and Naoyuki Kimura. I can come up with multiple theories as to who or what Naizoh Uraomote can be.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 05:21 PM

Thanks for talking this one up, Spirit_Chaser. I recently picked up both versions (this album and the Kemco one) and it's good stuff. I was familiar with Phalanx and Genocide 2 and this is more of that same quality from Zoom. As others have said, the tracks may be short but they sure pack a punch. Castle Mark Philips is a new standard listen for me.