VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 26, 2019, 07:43 AM

Just wanted to post that these appear to be shipping now. I just got an e-mail, so those who ordered this should have it soon.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 03:36 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Evans II View Post
Just wanted to post that these appear to be shipping now. I just got an e-mail, so those who ordered this should have it soon.
Yup! I got an email as well. Can't wait to get this one.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:48 AM

For info, about the original soundtrack discs, this seems sonically identical to the first Enterbrain print - no alternate sound sources or remastering here.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by student41269 View Post
For info, about the original soundtrack discs, this seems sonically identical to the first Enterbrain print - no alternate sound sources or remastering here.
I was personally expecting this. If you look at the track times for the tracks on Wayo's website, they're pretty damn close to what we had listed here for the Enterbrain print.

That said, it's not that the music was in dire need of a remaster like some other discs. I think one of the silliest things is when a band re-releases an album and says it remastered, but the original already sounded fine (this usually happens with more modern albums that already had good production values) and the remaster means nothing. If that ends up being the case, you better lure me in with some killer bonus material. Otherwise I'm not biting.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 05:57 PM

My copy just came in, I never bought the original Enterbrain print, yeah If you already own that one there's not much of a reason to have both unless you want to collect everything associated with Eternal Arcadia.
Personally I never got around to buying the original due to it's high price in the aftermarket, so this new release was a good way to save some money on a soundtrack I already wanted.

One thing about this release that I think is better than the previous version is the packaging and overall presentation (based on the scans of the Enterbrain version since I don't own it) it comes in a nice slipcase and the CDs have artwork on them as well unlike the original set which had a more minimal style.

The only bonus compared to the orginal tracklist is the two medley tracks on CD3 that are piano arrangements.

Last edited by 112B2018; Aug 1, 2019 at 06:04 PM.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 01:03 AM

It is really nice to have this more readily available again, and the packaging is great.

What's curious about it, though, is that on the vinyl edition (released at the same time) the tracks have longer and smoother fadeouts. A minor thing, but a professional touch. Also some tracks just sound better - Ixa'taka, for instance, has overblown bass on the CD. Finally, the main theme (1-02) on vinyl has two loops instead of one. My guess would be that the vinyl release has used the same source as the 2014 digital version, though I haven't listened to that, plus of course whatever mastering was appropriate for the format.

In short, it seems that an alternative (potentially superior) sound source is available for this OST, but it was not used for the CD re-release. A missed opportunity for subtle corrections, in my view.

Last edited by student41269; May 4, 2021 at 01:38 AM.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 07:41 PM

Oh, that's interesting. I just assumed the DLs were just rips from the soundtrack. Guess I should have looked at that closer.

Anyway, I guess I should admit that I bought this one mainly due to the urging of a friend. My experiences with the Dreamcast and Cube were rather limited, so I'm only aware of this game in a passing sense. That said, I guess it was a coincidence that I'm listening to Panzer Dragoon Orta right now and ended up with another soundtrack with work from one of that album's composers.

I've been slowly going through all my soundtracks and watching let's plays (with no commentary obviously) to see the context of the various pieces. Not saying you need to see the context to appreciate a given piece of music, but it has helped out in more than a few instances so far. I'm sure that'll help with this one as well. I guess I should be thankful I only have about two hundred albums compared to some collectors that have a few times that.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:51 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

I’ve added images for everything except the inside pages of the booklet.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by student41269 View Post
Someone over at Discogs was saying Wayo's site for the album says only the vinyl version was remastered.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:55 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Porter View Post
I’ve added images for everything except the inside pages of the booklet.
And now there is booklet scans, decided to skip uploading the rest of the scans I made as yours is good enough.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 03:52 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razakin View Post
And now there is booklet scans, decided to skip uploading the rest of the scans I made as yours is good enough.
Cheers! Yeah, I figured the photos I took of everything were almost as clear as scans would be. But this is an important enough release that I didn't want to do photos of the inside of the booklet since they wouldn't be as good as someone with access to a scanner could make them. Thanks for doing them!
Old Oct 19, 2019, 06:21 PM
Trusted Editor

- Changed Unicode ’ to ASCII '. Death to Unicode ’, death to European keyboards.
- Added DISCIDs to be able to properly freedb query Disc 3

Last edited by dancey; Oct 19, 2019 at 08:33 PM.
Old May 14, 2021, 12:24 PM

I wonder where barcode comes from? I own original box and I don't see it anywhere on it
Old May 14, 2021, 02:51 PM
Trusted Editor

Wayo releases typically only have the barcode as a sticker on the shrinkwrapping. Like in this listing on ebay for it: https://i.imgur.com/nitDiQ1.jpg
Old Nov 5, 2022, 11:45 PM

I'm so happy that the Skies of Arcadia soundtrack got re-released. It is truly a dream come true for me. I do hope we see more awesome SEGA Wayo Records releases down the line.