VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 18, 2015, 07:49 AM

Smile Original Music Inspired by Kirkhope, Wise, Terada.

Hey guys, just thought I'd show you some of my original stuff that's pretty heavily influenced by the Banjo Kazooie, DKC, and Ape Escape soundtracks.

Let me know what you guys think!

Pool Hopping

Spelunking in Crystal Caves
Old May 18, 2015, 06:29 PM
VGMdb Advisor

The instrumentation and resulting soundscape for "Spelunking in Crystal Caves" is great. That said ... some of the intentionally "non-traditional" chord progressions are a little much for me. When guys like Coltrane or "the Bird" got away with it in jazz, they did it by stringing melodic lines together so quickly that the chord below it became a sort of "passing chord" (as opposed to passing note). What you're doing has some sustain to it ... to do it that often, I feel like there needs to be a little more planning.

There are metaphors in my mind that I can quickly and easily draw to make the song work with the title. So if that was the *goal,* then you win! But it's not something I could listen to on the regular.

The low synth chords at the beginning of "Pool Hopping" came off a little harsh. I wonder if you could pull the attack off of those and just leave an attack on the highest note of those chords? That's a LITTLE thing for finesse. But it might be worth messing with?

Hope the feedback is worth something to you!
Old May 20, 2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramza View Post
The instrumentation and resulting soundscape for "Spelunking in Crystal Caves" is great. That said ... some of the intentionally "non-traditional" chord progressions are a little much for me. When guys like Coltrane or "the Bird" got away with it in jazz, they did it by stringing melodic lines together so quickly that the chord below it became a sort of "passing chord" (as opposed to passing note). What you're doing has some sustain to it ... to do it that often, I feel like there needs to be a little more planning.

There are metaphors in my mind that I can quickly and easily draw to make the song work with the title. So if that was the *goal,* then you win! But it's not something I could listen to on the regular.

The low synth chords at the beginning of "Pool Hopping" came off a little harsh. I wonder if you could pull the attack off of those and just leave an attack on the highest note of those chords? That's a LITTLE thing for finesse. But it might be worth messing with?

Hope the feedback is worth something to you!
Wow thank you so much for all the feedback, I really love constructive criticism and this is really helpful!

I'll definitely keep in mind the whole chord progressions thing. I really like the idea of making some new and kinda weird sounds, but I definitely see your point that it can seem quite jarring.

I definitely agree with you about the attack on the synths, as it's definitely something I struggled with a bit in general with repeated listens, but I'll definitely be paying more attention to in the future.

Once again thank you so much!

Tags
david wise, grant kirkhope, original composition, soichi terada