VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:06 AM

So....digital only it looks like.

Anyone want to buy the Bandcamp version and check to see if it's properly lossless?
Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:10 AM

Actually, according to the Facebook page for A New World:

"On Sale Now! Our album is available NOW on iTunes, Amazon Music, Google Play, Spotify and many more digital music stores. Physical CDs are available at Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk." [emphasis mine]

I'm personally hoping they'll have the A New World CD's at the Distant Worlds concert this evening.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:37 PM

the physical cd is now available for ordering.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 03:13 PM
Trusted Editor

I listened to the stream they have up and was really not that impressed with the quality of arrangements but went ahead and ordered it anyway.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 01:35 PM

tips on cleaning up sections for approval? let me know, thanks.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 04:26 PM

I like this album. Much better than Distant Worlds II. I think the new arrangements are quite nice and the selection is diverse and sometimes unexpected. I didn't really look at the tracklist before I started listening and was surprised to hear the moogle theme (which I especially enjoy) and "Town" from the first Final Fantasy arranged. "Fight with Seymour" and "Force Your Way" were also pleasant surprises and came out pretty well.

My complaints are mainly that I want more original stuff. That instead of something like yet another "Zanarkand" we could have had "Eternal Wind" or something else really good that's been underperformed. Something on the same level as "Troia" (which is great to have performed finally, though I think it could have been done more robustly), another standout that has somehow gone mostly un-arranged after all this time. Maybe they fear too many people wouldn't know Final Fantasy III. Also, "Eruyt Village" could have made a great ensemble arrangement but instead they did the solo FFXII Piano Collections version. I know it's more expensive and time-consuming to make something new than play something old though and it may not have been possible.

So this album isn't everything I'd like it to be, but it is very pleasant otherwise and the price isn't steep. Of course you can listen on Bandcamp before you buy (note, the FLACs there are 24-bit/96 kHz) to see for yourself. The recording sounds very nice too; when I started listening I thought it was a studio recording, but no, it's a concert. Alexandre Goyette complained on the Google Play store, "Background noise very irritating especially in The Promise..." I think what he's referring to is Arnie breathing too close to his violin's microphone (something I've heard on other studio albums, actually). It's just a couple tracks where you can hear anything like that, otherwise the players and the audience are very quiet and everything sounds fantastic.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 03:49 PM

I like the record, but I don't love it. Some of the arrangements are great and it's nice that some of the underperformed stuff is represented here.

I'm going to second that material like "Zanarkand" is tired, though I imagine that the nature of it being a live recording confines us to a setlist of sorts. It's probably also financially more rewarding for them to continue to include the more prominent tracks. My problem with "Zanarkand" though, really, is that I think the orchestral and now New World arrangement is just really drab and needlessly grandiose. Maybe that comes from hearing it one too many times, but I would have preferred a good solo piano performance over anything. Hell, one of the bizarre highlights to me of the disc is the performance of "Let the Battles Begin!" – which I don't think anyone needs another recording of, either, in that arrangement. Yet I think the performance itself is ace and that saves it for me.

I found a lot of the new arrangements underwhelming, too. It's nice to see something like "Town," "Red Wings" or "A New World" represented, but the arrangements feel either very safe or off. "Troian Beauty," which isn't underrepresented (myriad of official arrangements, that one has) feels really misrepresented and that is disappointing, because it's a great piece.

On the flip side, there are some really nice surprises here. "Fight with Seymour" sounds great and "The Promise" is really well-performed. I feel like Distant Worlds has never not botched "Blinded by Light" and I'm happy to hear it arranged and performed in a way that isn't entirely lethargic. As I mentioned briefly above, it's nice to hear some life breathed into a couple of the FFVII tracks, even if the arrangements aren't new or exciting. "One-Winged Angel" even sounds great.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 11:36 AM

so i got the physical CD today catalog number is AWR 10103. Would you need another entry for the physical CD or can I just add the catalog number? can you have 2 entries in the type field? (i.e. digital/physical?)
Old Sep 13, 2014, 08:53 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by James O View Post
so i got the physical CD today catalog number is AWR 10103. Would you need another entry for the physical CD or can I just add the catalog number? can you have 2 entries in the type field? (i.e. digital/physical?)
No one responded yet, idk why but I went ahead and added a child album to this one for the physical release. The printed tracklist is different and I accidentally overwrote the parent but I copied the tracks out of EAC and I think it reverted them to their originals -- someone might want to double check that.

I don't have any of the details of the physical release (like release date, price, proper publisher name), if someone wants to fill that out, have at it.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 02:56 AM

09 - "Force Your Way" and 11 - "Fragments of Memories" were previously incorrectly attributed to Final Fantasy 7 (someone either mistyped here, or the source was mistyped). As of now, all listed sources attribute them to Final Fantasy 8, so I corrected the tracklist accordingly.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 05:28 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteLectro View Post
09 - "Force Your Way" and 11 - "Fragments of Memories" were previously incorrectly attributed to Final Fantasy 7 (someone either mistyped here, or the source was mistyped). As of now, all listed sources attribute them to Final Fantasy 8, so I corrected the tracklist accordingly.
This was probably a typo that they corrected on the digital versions. The physical version has it printed incorrectly in the tracklist so I added a note to the child album and left the typo as-is.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 02:37 AM

FWIW, the the tracklist is correct inside the booklet of the physical release - the VII/VIII mixup is only on the back.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 04:45 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by student41269 View Post
FWIW, the the tracklist is correct inside the booklet of the physical release - the VII/VIII mixup is only on the back.
Oh, I didn't catch that. Updated the album info and corrected the tracklist.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 05:03 PM

Ok so, Fragments of Memories is the same arrangement as on the FITHOS... album (Hamaguchi), Those Who Fight is from FFVII piano (Hamaguchi again), and Eruyt Village is from FFXII Piano (Casey Osmond).
I'm guessing all the rest are arranged by the Roths and Klemens (though Uematsu is also mentioned as arranger, perhaps Dark World since he plays on that? Would be nice to have full credits....)
Old May 18, 2019, 03:50 PM

Does anyone know if the bitrate of the digital album is higher than Redbook?

For examplee, the Distant Worlds digital albums are 24bit/88.1khz, which is higher than for the physical albums (which are 16bit/44.1khz). Does anyone know if that is or is not the case for the New World downloads?

Much thanks in advance.
Old May 19, 2019, 04:39 PM

24-bit/96 kHz. It's not just an upsample either, for what it's worth.
Old May 19, 2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _if View Post
24-bit/96 kHz. It's not just an upsample either, for what it's worth.
Thanks for the info!
Old Jul 2, 2020, 07:28 PM

Is there any info on who exactly arranged the individual songs on this album and A New World II?
Old Jul 3, 2020, 04:07 AM

GIving proper credti? Why that would be so silly wouldn't it...
Old Jul 3, 2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraEpon View Post
GIving proper credti? Why that would be so silly wouldn't it...
Yeah, I should have taken two minutes to pop over to the comments for Volume 2. dancey says right there the info just isn’t available. Oh well.