VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old May 26, 2009, 12:54 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrkul View Post
This is an old issue.. but i don't remember i could NOT click on the "Save Changes" button before.

Issue: when the "save changes" button is going under the bottom text on the page, you can't click on it.
This is what happens when you combine tables and divs...

I'll fix that later.
Old May 26, 2009, 01:54 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
It seems like we are doing this in general now, but it still seems kind of gray to me, and in general we can't tell how involved someone is. I wouldn't use 'feat' on the album you linked because 1) Uematsu was involved with the album as a producer; and 2) this is a remake of Final Fantasy IV, so it's hard to make the case that it merely features the music of the original composer.

In fact, I'd personally restrict the 'feat' classification to albums where themese were 'borrowed' for use. This includes all those cases where classical pieces and anime themes are used in game soundtracks, as well as doujin and fanmade arranges. I'd hate to see this used for compilation albums. Moreover, a lot of official arrange albums could end up moving off of the regular discographies if we follow this literally.

There are some differing opinions here on this subject of course.
I also find it hard to differentiate between what should go where in that gray-area that is officially licensed arrangements. And I realize now my example wasn't very good, I overlooked the fact that he had been involved in the production. This album is a better example of what I consider to be a borderline case; the rights to arrange the music have been obtained but the original artist has had no direct involvement in the production of the album.

I think this is more complicated with Uematsu than with most artists though considering the amount of spin-off games the FF series has produced. But there are four stages of plausible 'involvement' as far as I can see:

1. Direct involvement as either composer or arranger.
2. Arranged by others for the company who holds the rights.
3. Arranged by others who have obtained the rights to do so.
4. Arranged by others who have not obtained the rights to do so.

Maybe the best thing to do would be to draw the line at sanctioned use? Meaning that pretty much only doujin land on the 'featured' pile.

Last edited by seanne; May 26, 2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 03:33 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

My own support for the "featured" checkbox is simply for cases where there are no new compositions by that composer on this album. If nothing new is composed, then they are not actually composing, and thus their prior compositions are merely "featured" on this album. Perhaps they may be involved with arranging or producing this album, but not composing. The only exception would be thus: when an old composition never appeared in album form prior to the release of this album, it would be treated as a new composition.

There are very few cases where this type of information is explicitly stated, but I feel this is a useful tool to have available. By using our best judgement, I feel we can make the implied information rather accurate.

And before someone attacks this idea simply for not being official, just think of all the unofficial tracklist translations we have all over the site. ;}
Old Jun 9, 2009, 04:18 PM

A minor thing, when you start a discussion on an album and have "auto-subscribe" on, it doesn't work. Works in all other forums except that.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 04:43 PM
VGMdb Administrator

That's probably due to the fact that album threads are created in a different manner than normal threads. I'll look into the auto-subscribe thing, should be fixable.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
That's probably due to the fact that album threads are created in a different manner than normal threads. I'll look into the auto-subscribe thing, should be fixable.
This is why you deserve love and cake!
Old Jun 12, 2009, 05:46 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I had to change the behavior of view "all" under browse wanted albums in the marketplace because it was taking too long trying to display 3000+ album entries on on page. It's now a paginated view (and that means you might as well browse by letter.)
Old Jun 13, 2009, 08:05 AM

I'd like to request that collection.php truly hide private albums. Currently even if you mark a folder or album as private from the 'view collection' command it is still visible from the 'do=show&albumid={id}' function on the album entry.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 11:40 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorbfish View Post
I'd like to request that collection.php truly hide private albums. Currently even if you mark a folder or album as private from the 'view collection' command it is still visible from the 'do=show&albumid={id}' function on the album entry.
I've partially implemented this. Now, if your album is private, or it is in a private folder, it shows up as (Private) at the end of the collection lists.

http://vgmdb.net/db/collection.php?do=show&albumid=7985

However, if your albums are all stored in subfolders, and are more than one level removed from a folder that's marked private, it won't hide them because I couldn't find a reasonable (and fast) way to recurse up the tree.

So, to hide the rest of your albums, you'll just have to make sure that they are all in private folders.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 12:53 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Seems like we can't search anymore for "Ys".
I know this one was an exception of the "at least 3 letters search"..
Old Jun 18, 2009, 02:54 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

The "discuss (1)" link on this album page leads to nowhere [ No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator ]

Probably anormal..
Or is the matter is that a previous thread was created / then deleted / but the album keeps tracks of it (and bug) ?
Old Jun 18, 2009, 02:57 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I deleted the thread, but forgot to unhook it from the album.

Also, I noticed Ys works for advanced search even though it doesn't work for the simple search. I don't remember if it ever worked for simple though.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 12:43 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Some updates:

1. All three discussion interfaces (albums, artists, organizations) have been updated to the new template. You can now select your thread subscription options and folders (if applicable).

2. Editing the album title or catalog number will now update the corresponding discussion thread title as well. (Thread titles are also automatically trimmed if they are too long).

3. Not sure if anyone's noticed, but you can now subscribe to email notifications of new/upcoming album additions (email icon beside the usual RSS feeds on the main page).
Old Jun 28, 2009, 02:44 AM

A rather minor detail I just noticed today:
When you log out, the "Return to the previous page" link redirects to the forums index, instead.

MAH BOI, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!!
Old Jul 12, 2009, 12:17 AM
VGMdb Administrator

The sidebars have been updated to use the new AlbumManager class. If you notice any odd behaviour in the displays for new/upcoming/related albums, please give details here.

We're currently weeding out all the legacy code on VGMdb and replacing it with fresh, sparkling, object-oriented code, which will greatly help speed along future developments.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 01:15 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Not a bug at all but i did not want to create a post for that..

Could we have the French money..?
We have the old german one but not the old french one..? (Francs - FRF)

Probably not used much cause we have more enclosed stuff / promos than official releases..
Thanks
Old Jul 14, 2009, 11:26 AM

Creating a new discussion thread for organizations is broken.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 03:20 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Fixed org discussion (hopefully).

Added French Francs to the currency list.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 05:23 PM
VGMdb Administrator

You can now add discussions to the event pages (Comic Market, etc.) As with the other discussions, these show up in their own thread in the new Event Discussions subforum.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 04:00 AM

I just noticed while browsing the recent updates that on an album entry, that I once had listed in my collection, is listed in my collection. My collection screen lists that I have 200 public albums but nothing is listed. Rollback a table at some point?
Old Jul 22, 2009, 04:09 AM
VGMdb Administrator

It looks like the bug is that you deleted your folders, but the albums didn't delete with the folder. Actually, what most likely happened is that the delete wasn't able to recurse deeply enough into sub sub folders to get rid of everything.

We could probably write a cleanup script to delete all parentless entities. Would you like me to manually remove these?
Old Jul 22, 2009, 09:43 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Does MySQL have anything like Oracle's "on delete cascade" where you can tie a foreign key to a primary key, and upon deleting a record with primary key, it will delete any records tied to it?
Old Jul 22, 2009, 05:46 PM

Here's two more related to sale/wish-lists.

* Somehow a non-existing user added 'Ragnarok Online soundTeMP Special Remix!!' to their wishlist.
* A sale notification for The Sims Online is listed when logged out / for anonymous users.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 11:46 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Zorb: I moved all your collection albums to the base directory, so you can now access and modify them.

All 4 entries in the wishlist table with nonexistent users have been deleted. Some code fixing is in order.

Kaleb: only for InnoDB tables. I have an idea on how to solve this though (as well as preventing descendants of a private folder from showing up in public).
Old Jul 23, 2009, 04:03 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I added a check so that guests can't add an album to their non-existent wishlist.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 06:05 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I've updated the tracklist system so that tracktimes are synchronized across all tracklists.

From now on, if you:

1. Add a new tracklist and specify it as main / default:
- The system checks if the new tracklist has missing tracktimes, and fills in those missing lengths using any available data from the previous default tracklist (skipping tracks with zero lengths);
- It then sets the new tracklist as default, and copies all nonzero track lengths to other tracklists.

2. Add a new tracklist as non-default:
- The system copies any nonzero track lengths from the default tracklist to the new tracklist (overwriting the new lengths, if any).

3. Edit the tracktime of a non-default tracklist:
- The system will ignore the edit.

4. Edit the tracktime of a default tracklist:
- The system copies the new tracktime to all other tracklists.

I've also run a script to synchronize the tracktimes for all current tracklists in the database.

This modification was necessary for CDDB to work properly, plus it prepares us for the transition to a more organized table structure (splitting our current table into one that stores track types and track times, and another that stores titles and translations).
Old Jul 26, 2009, 08:28 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Event tags:

Pretty self-explanatory. Event management pages now have 3 custom fields you can edit: thread ID (for manually linking or unlinking discussion threads if the need arises), acronym (e.g. Comic Market 76 = C76, will be used for tag display if present) and Native title (Comic Market 76 = コミックマーケット76).

Eventually native event titles will be switchable, like what we currently do with album titles.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 02:10 PM
VGMdb Staff

Now that we have a 2 page album discussion thread I noticed that the second page doesn't have a direct link to the album entry.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 05:39 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I added a couple of things to the stats page -- the number of freedb accesses as a secondary stat, and a link to the most wanted albums. Some of that list surprised me.

EDIT -- I also pared down the Most Popular Albums of the last 30 days to just show the top 100 albums. Those pages load very slowly for now, and a number of connections that are obviously from some search engine were getting bogged down in the 700 page list, chewing up time and RAM.

Personally, I never looked past the first 20-40 anyway.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 01:28 PM
VGMdb Administrator

As of yesterday I've switched the code for displaying album entry pages over to our sparkling new AlbumManager. Everything seems to be going well, so I'll proceed with further integration soon (alphabetical album listings, etc).
Closed Thread