VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 21, 2019, 02:40 AM
Trusted Editor

Question MusicBrainz links for albums

Would links to MusicBrainz album entries be good resources to add to albums? I know a lot of artists have links to their MusicBrainz pages but I don't see any for albums.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 05:16 AM

Whar would be the point? There's almost never any info there that there isn't here and when there is it can just be filled in here.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 09:25 AM
Trusted Editor

A big plus for me personally is MusicBrainz has much better options for tagging. FreeDB only gives limited options and can be harder to use depending on the tagging program you use, while MusicBrainz gives multiple options for tagging outside of TOC lookup (the big one being fingerprint scanning) and can give more metadata that either isn't exposed by the FreeDB interface (artist credits per track, record label, barcode) or just isn't stored on VGMdb (ISRCs). I know this isn't the focus of VGMdb but it is still a nice thing to have for users.

It can also be used to look up non-videogame/anime relationships and non-artist/album relationships in general. For example: looking for instances of a recording or song in other releases easily.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 04:45 PM
Trusted Editor

Necrobump, but I made a script to automatically grab links to Musicbrainz entries for releases if they exist.

https://github.com/ToadKing/vgmdb-us...-links.user.js

It tries to look up releases based on barcode (if the release has one) or if there's aa VGMdb link attached to it. It even highlights the link if the Musicbrainz entry has one of the barcode or VGMdb link, but not both.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad King View Post
Necrobump, but I made a script to automatically grab links to Musicbrainz entries for releases if they exist.

https://github.com/ToadKing/vgmdb-us...-links.user.js

It tries to look up releases based on barcode (if the release has one) or if there's aa VGMdb link attached to it. It even highlights the link if the Musicbrainz entry has one of the barcode or VGMdb link, but not both.
Seems to work, thanks. I recommend appending it right under (or in) the websites box instead of at the very bottom, though.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 09:36 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero View Post
Seems to work, thanks. I recommend appending it right under (or in) the websites box instead of at the very bottom, though.
I originally was going to do that but that box doesn't appear if there's no websites linked for an album. So instead of trying to find the correct place to insert into I just made a new section for them.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 03:27 PM
Trusted Editor

Pushed an update to the script a couple days ago. It now also searches through album notes for barcodes in there to look up. Useful for cases like digital albums where other regions/hires releases have different barcodes noted in the album notes.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad King View Post
Pushed an update to the script a couple days ago. It now also searches through album notes for barcodes in there to look up. Useful for cases like digital albums where other regions/hires releases have different barcodes noted in the album notes.
No longer works for me. Needs another update?
Edit: Nevermind, for some reason reinstalling it fixed it, even though I never touched the script. Must be because I switched browsers.