VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 3, 2010, 02:37 AM

Default Hirokazu Ando (#475)

where does that picture of him originate? does anyone know?
Old Aug 3, 2010, 03:05 AM
VGMdb Administrator

While it's on a few sites, it's also on Nintendo's site:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/so...118/index.html
Old Feb 4, 2015, 06:23 AM

CHz, Chris (+ anyone else), thought you might be interested in knowing that this interview~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
~has been translated (by Lastair on espernet)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...bros-trans.txt

However it is a rough draft and probably has some inaccuracies and strange wording in places. Nonetheless it's great to finally see this interview translated. I wonder if with a bit of re-work and validating it could appear on vgmonline...
Old Aug 7, 2010, 01:15 PM

ahh so that's where it's from. thankyou. awesome, i didn't know about this interview. I think it must be the only HAL sound staff interview in existence. very interesting from what I can decipher from machine translations. it would be very cool to see a translation proper (´・ω・)
Old Aug 7, 2010, 04:31 PM

I might try to make that a reality some time my staff are less swamped with translations. I agree it looks very interesting.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 05:31 PM

Here's what I think some stuff says:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/so...8/utikomi.html
-Fourside aka Mother 2 was arranged by Hirokazu Ando (If not him then Shogo)
酒井 (Sakai):
それで、安藤さん (Ando) がアレンジを担当した「フォー・サイド」のステージの曲を聞いて、「僕だったらサルサにアレンジしたなあ」 って思ったんですよ。

-Menu 2 was composed by Shogo Sakai (Although the presence of Opening should have been a dead giveaway.)
酒井 (Sakai):
 それで感じたのはねえ、言葉の問題ですね。
 桜井さんの言う「風が吹く丘の上に立っている」という、そのイメージがね(笑)。
 確か、「颯爽」という言葉もあったんですよね。

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/so...18/monkey.html
-Mute City was arranged by Tadashi Ikegami (Either him, Shogo, or Takuto)
池上 (Ikegami):
 僕はあの頃は効果音の量産時期だったので、収録に行けなかったんですよね。残念だなあ。
 「ミュートシティ」のギターの収録のときもそうだったんですけどね。

酒井 (Sakai):
 あのときに、ドラムを叩いていたのが、クリーチャーズの橘田くん (Kitsuta) という人なんですけれども、その演奏する姿を見ていた安藤さんが、「うーん、やっぱり楽器ができるのは、イ イですねえ、僕もなにか楽器をやろうかなあ」って(笑)。
(Based on this, Kitsuta appears to have done nothing but the drums, which contradicts his game credit as "Sound & Music Director," same as Shogo, Hirokazu, and Tadashi, so I still believe Takuto arranged this on the grounds that there isn't much else in the game to arrange after this.)
http://themushroomkingdom.net/ssbm_credits.shtml

-Lastly, Onett aka Mother was arranged by Tadashi Ikegami
池上 (Ikegami):
 楽器といえば、「オネット」の曲のメロディをサックスでやるっていう話しもあったんですけど、結局それは出 来ずに終わってしまったんですよ。
(Ikegami mentions using a melody sax for one song, which appears to be present in this song)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyLdWEFQCyg at 0:16

The use of similar instruments (piano, trumpet, etc.) further leads me to believe that Tadashi also arranged Mother 2 aka Mother (Alternate Side)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhrvWKmkKf0
Old Aug 8, 2010, 02:21 AM

Chris, that would make me explode with delight if you do :3

kyubihanyou, thanks for your insights. as chance has it I was going over SSBM's soundtrack yesterday, trying to piece together who composed what from the Brawl credits, Orchestra Concert album, this interview, and my own intuition, the latter of which I still had to rely on a lot.

Quote:
Fourside aka Mother 2 was arranged by Hirokazu Ando
I agree. In fact, this is what I believed years ago before I knew about any specific credits for the game. Just listening to it, it has his style of playful staccato rhythms and colourful harmonies. Going by similar logic I've identified him as writing Metal Battle, Battlefield, Final Destination, Trophy Tussle (torn, could be Sakai) and Giga Bowser. dunno if anything is mentioned about those.

Quote:
Menu 2 was composed by Shogo Sakai
I agree with that too, and came to this conclusion yesterday. I went by the same logic - that it uses portions of the title theme. I also believe he composed the 100 Man Melee songs and Break the Targets.

<3 menu 2

Quote:
Mute City was arranged by Tadashi Ikegami (Either him, Shogo, or Takuto)
I think it is either him or Sakai and I'm fairly certain it has nothing to do with Ando. I'm not even sure what Kitsuta did on the game either. I'd say sound effects but I gather that was mostly what Ikegami was doing it. Could be his I suppose. I can't attribute this to the other guys easily.

Quote:
Lastly, Onett aka Mother was arranged by Tadashi Ikegami
This I'm not sure about. If that's what it alludes to in the interview (I can't tell) then I'd go with that, though superficially it sounds like Sakai's work, because it's SC-8850 oriented like most of Sakai's other tracks. From what I understand Ikegami was more involved with orchestral tracks, like..

Quote:
The use of similar instruments (piano, trumpet, etc.) further leads me to believe that Tadashi also arranged Mother 2 aka Mother (Alternate Side)
quite possible.

I think that only leaves the two Tournament songs and Warning Siren, plus jingles. and all those original songs for Brawl which would be even more of a headache to decipher x3
Old Aug 8, 2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
I think that only leaves the two Tournament songs and Warning Siren, plus jingles. and all those original songs for Brawl which would be even more of a headache to decipher x3
No sweat; Shogo and Hirokazu were the only ones credited for composition, so there's a 50/50 chance for each of the remaining original tracks.

Battlefield - Ando (Menu 1)

Metal Battle - Ando (Agrees; clearly the same style as Meta Crystal)

Final Destination - Ando (Obvious enough with the Smash 64 credits)

Giga Bowser - Ando (Would make sense, but I think VideoGameScrapBook tagged it as Shogo Sakai [and not Final Destination])

Multi-Man Melee ver. 2/Final Destination ver. 2 (Used in Event 51) - Shogo, because of the use of Opening.

Trophy/Figure - Ando, I guess [Sounds more like Menu 1 than Opening]

Trophy/Figure Get - Shogo

Rare Trophy/Figure Get - Shogo [Reused as an achievement fanfare in Brawl]

Targets - Shogo [with the guitar]

How to Play and Tournament (2/both) songs - Shogo, I guess. Same intensity; all of them returns in Brawl slightly different, like other arrangements by Shogo (see below).

Classic/Simple Intro - Ando [reminiscent of Stage Start from N64]

All Stage Clear - Shogo (?)

Continue and Game Over - Shogo [both cleaned up for Brawl]

Adventure Intro - Shogo [related to How to Play]

1P Mode Clear/Ending - As much as I want to say Ando (Menu 1), the fact that it reappears in Brawl in a more enhanced form along with other Shogo songs (like Super Mario 3 and Fire Emblem) makes me say Shogo.

All-Star Rest Area - Shogo, I guess

Stage Clear Fanfares (2/both) - Shogo, since the same type of sound reappears in Brawl for its Stage Clear Fanfares

Achievement Fanfares (3/all) - Shogo, since the same type of sound reappears in Brawl for its Achievement Fanfares

Challenger Appears - Shogo

Warning Siren/Escape - Shogo (Did the other Metroid arranges)

Hammer - Ando [different from N64, but still]

Character Victory Jingles - Same as arranger of stages: Mario (Shogo), DK (Shogo), Zelda (Shogo), Metroid (Shogo), Yoshi (Ando [or maybe Shogo]), Kirby (Ando [or maybe Ikegami]), Star Fox (Ikegami [or maybe Ando]), Pokemon (Shogo), F-Zero (Shogo [or maybe Takuto]), Mother (Tadashi [or maybe Shogo]), Ice Climbers (Shogo), Fire Emblem (Shogo), Game & Watch (Shogo)

NOTE: The credits on the Orchestra CD are in descending order of consistency. I figured that out in determining that Akito Nakatsuka composed Mach Rider through the Great Medley. [See this page]
http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3932

Therefore, the Original Medley must also follow the same logic, meaning that Shogo definitely did the majority of the six tracks; the order of the tracks is not an issue, so "Menu 1" (Ando) being the fifth doesn't mean that "Ending" was also done by him, nor did Sakai necessarily do All-Star Rest Area because it's first. So the consistency is either 5S and 1A, 4S and 2A, or 3S and 3A.

In conclusion, any song that was edited/built on in Brawl is most likely Shogo, the only one of the four to return for Brawl.

P.S.
You do realize that nearly all of the original songs in Brawl are the SAME THEME OVER AND OVER AGAIN, and that the main version was arranged by Shogo Sakai, meaning he basically owns the song in its entirety after Nobuo Uematsu. The fact that Ando, Ikegami, and Takuto are not present here makes Melee-to-Brawl comparisons ridiculously easy.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Oct 16, 2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 06:55 AM

found another staff interview regarding the original Super Smash Bros.
http://www.1101.com/nintendo/nin4/nin4-1.htm
http://www.1101.com/nintendo/nin4/nin4-2.htm
did we know about this already? i didn't ;o
there's another older (low res) picture of Ando there, too.

Quote:
You do realize that nearly all of the original songs are the SAME THEME OVER AND OVER AGAIN, and that the main version was arranged by Shogo Sakai, meaning he basically owns the song in its entirety after Nobuo Uematsu. The fact that Ando, Ikegami, and Takuto are not present here makes Melee-to-Brawl comparisons ridiculously easy.
while it's likely he did all the different variations on the main theme for the various menus and things, given the large music staff it's entirely possible that those were handled by the other guys as well. i mean, they had to do something. i'd be hesitant to blanket-credit them to Sakai based only on the fact he arranged the title music.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 09:47 PM

Here's the Brawl music credits. Note how a select batch of artists [including Shogo Sakai] are not listed under "Music Arrangement" despite their obvious arrangement credit. They are the inner staff, and therefore the most likely to have made all the variations of the main theme.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/wii/su...-brawl/credits
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/music/music24_list.html

Main Theme Music: Nobuo Uematsu, Taro Yamashita, Taizo Takemoto, Oriko Takahashi, Ken Nishikiori (PONY CANYON INC.), Hirofumi Sako, Mio Noguchi, Kimio Yamane, Otohiko Fujita, Kiyoshi Sato, Yuki Hasegawa, Satoshi Shoji, Masashi Maeda, Eric Miyashiro, Tomoyuki Asakawa, Masatsugu Shinozaki Group, Katsuhiro Kobayashi Group

Music & Sound: Takahiro Nishi, Shogo Sakai, Masaaki Iwasaki, Yutaka Iraha, Keigo Ozaki, Kentaro Ishizaka

Music Arrangement: Akihiro Honda, Asuka Ohta, Hirokazu Tanaka, Jun Senoue, Kenichi Okuma, Kenji Yamamoto, Koji Kondo, Masato Kouda, Minako Hamano, Noriyuki Iwadare, Seiji Momoi, Tomoko Sasaki, Toshiyuki Sudo, Yasufumi Fukuda, Yoko Shimomura, Yusuke Takahama, Arata Iiyoshi, Hajime Wakai, Jun Fukuda, Kazumi Totaka, Kenji Ito, Koji Hayama, Masafumi Takada, Michiko Naruke, Motoi Sakuraba, Ryoji Yoshitomi, Shota Kageyama, Toru Minegishi, Tsukasa Masuko, Yasunori Mitsuda, Yuka Tsujiyoko, Yuzo Koshiro

*Takahiro Nishi: Battle! Dialga / Palkia, Mona Pizza, Environmental Noises, Theme of Tara
***Shogo Sakai: Main Theme (New Super Mario Bros.), Luigi's Mansion Theme, Underwater Theme (Super Mario Bros.), King K.Rool / Ship Deck 2, Title (The Legend of Zelda), Wildlands, The Legendary Air Ride Machine, Road to Viridian City (From Pallet Town / Pewter City), Battle! Wild Pokemon (Ruby/Sapphire), Route 209, Fire Emblem Theme, Underworld, Mario Bros., Porky's Theme, Mother 3 Love Theme, Snowman, PictoChat, Mii Channel, Great Temple / Temple, Super Smash Bros. Brawl Main Theme
***Masaaki Iwasaki: Overworld Theme 2 (Super Mario Bros.), Chill (Dr. Mario)
**Yutaka Iraha: Hyrule Field Theme
*Keigo Ozaki: Clu Clu Land, Shadow Dragon Medley, WarioWare, Inc., Go K.K. Rider!
***Kentaro Ishizaka: Opening (Super Smash Bros. Melee), Underground Theme (Super Mario Bros.), Waluigi Pinball, Title (3D Hot Rally), Jungle Level, Boss Theme Medley, Corneria, Star Wolf, Pokemon Center, Winning Road - Roy's Hope, Stage Clear / Title (Pikmin), Unfounded Revenge / Smashing Song of Praise, You Call This a Utopia?!, Town Hall and Tom Nook's Store

*Came from Square
**Came from Hudson
***Came from HAL Laboratory, Inc

Two other things to note:
-The presence of Yoshinori Kawamoto in the original supervisors credits [and not Yoshie Arakawa] tells me that he was the one responsible for composing and arranging the themes from Star Fox: Assault in that game (Space Battleground, Star Wolf's Theme, and Break Through the Ice Field), as Star Fox: Assault was the only Namco-made game represented here in terms of music.
-Naofumi Hataya's presence in those same credits tells me that he was the one who composed Angel Island Zone, as none of the other Sega-made tracks (including the lost one) were definitely composed by him. As for why Hataya is not listed in the Sonic 3&K credits, the answer is simple: he is either half of, or the entirety of Masayuki Nagao, a most suspicious character at Sega [none of the music composers or the Sega Sound Team from S3&K are here either; neither is Masafumi Ogata]. Also keep in mind that the majority of the Sonic sound effects came from Sonic 1, which neither "Hataya" nor "Nagao" nor "Ogata" worked on. Looks like Sonic Retro was right.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Oct 11, 2010 at 06:23 AM.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 02:12 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Kirby 3DS trailer

Ando are you playing Green Greens on toy instruments again you scamp ( ゚ヮ゚)
Old Oct 2, 2013, 09:04 AM

Yeah I just saw this trailer and my first thought was "yay new Kirby music!" On the downside, no guarantee of an official soundtrack, and 3DS games still haven't been decrypted, so I don't know if a game rip is possible either. Proverbial hnnnghh
Old Oct 2, 2013, 09:19 PM
Trusted Editor

do (modern) Kirby games usually have soundtests?
Old Oct 2, 2013, 09:36 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Yep. Nearly every Kirby game since the beginning has had a sound test, except some of the spinoffs. Can't vouch for their completeness though.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 12:10 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Bumping the hell out of this thread because Smash 4 for 3DS/Wii U includes a bunch of Melee reprises... with arranger credits:

Hirokazu Ando: Battle Theme (Pokémon G/S), Big Blue, Corneria*, EarthBound (Fourside)**, Green Greens, Kongo Jungle (DK Rap), Mach Rider, Mother 2 (Pollyanna), Poké Floats, Saria's Theme**, Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Story
Tadashi Ikegami: Fountain of Dreams, Venom
Takuto Kitsuta: Great Bay, Mute City
Shogo Sakai: Brinstar*, Brinstar Depths*, Dr. Mario*, Fire Emblem*, Hyrule Temple*, Icicle Mountain, Jungle Japes**, Mother (Onett), Pokémon Stadium (Pokémon R/B), Princess Peach's Castle, Rainbow Cruise*, Super Mario Bros. 3

Starred* songs are in both the 3DS and Wii U versions, unstarred are only in the Wii U version.

Double starred** songs are in Smash Ultimate.

Also confirms Ando composed Flat Zone, which we knew already.

EDIT: There are 4 unlockable tunes I left off initially and just added: Battle Theme, Icicle Mountain, Poké Floats, and Pokémon Stadium.

Last edited by CHz; Jan 18, 2019 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Added 4 more + DLC
Old Jan 7, 2015, 03:19 PM
Trusted Editor

Ikegami also did Trophy Lottery and Menu 2, with Kitsuta doing Giga Bowser.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 08:38 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Does that info come from Smash 4's music room too? I was using SmashWiki's music list for the songs I don't have unlocked yet and it doesn't name names for those songs.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:27 PM
Trusted Editor

It's from a gamerip I have, so it should come directly from the game. But since I don't have Smash Bros Wii U, can somebody else confirm it? The gamerip also credits people for all the original Brawl stuff, so it seems too detailed to just be made up randomly.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident93 View Post
It's from a gamerip I have, so it should come directly from the game. But since I don't have Smash Bros Wii U, can somebody else confirm it? The gamerip also credits people for all the original Brawl stuff, so it seems too detailed to just be made up randomly.
I don't have everything unlocked either, but none of the original brawl stuff has credits either, so I would say it's fake.

Please don't list credits as facts unless you know for sure. We don't need another kyubihanyou.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 03:01 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raizen1984 View Post
I don't have everything unlocked either, but none of the original brawl stuff has credits either, so I would say it's fake.

Please don't list credits as facts unless you know for sure. We don't need another kyubihanyou.
did you miss reading me wanting confirmation as well? thanks for the answer though. I'll contact the guy who tagged them and see if he just made it up (seems likely, with the evidence above ^)

Last edited by dissident93; Jan 8, 2015 at 03:05 PM.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident93 View Post
did you miss reading me wanting confirmation as well? thanks for the answer though.
You didn't ask for confirmation until after CHz called you out. You also didn't list a source, and simply stated a "fact".

You're a Trusted Editor. You should be a bit more careful how you word things.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 02:12 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I don't have all those songs unlocked yet, but I found Menu 2 from Melee and it doesn't list anyone. Likewise, the reprises of original Brawl songs (not the game arrangements) don't have credits.

I've seen game rips with made up credits before. ¯\(º_o)/¯
Old Jan 8, 2015, 12:42 PM

I know my gut instincts don't account for much, but Trophy+Giga Bowser scream Ando at me, and I feel similarly confident that Menu 2 is Sakai's work.

Also also, not long until the new Kirby is out in Japan, so we'll have all that to ponder over as well before long. 8)
Old Jan 8, 2015, 02:01 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Oh yeah, Trophy is part of the original song medley on the Melee orchestra CD, composition of which is credited to Jun Ishikawa for the Super Star reprise (because Ando didn't work on that game) and Ando for the Melee tracks (because Ishikawa didn't work on that game). So that's 100% not Ikegami, if the Ando chords weren't a dead giveaway.

I also agree with Lunar that Giga Bowser is one of the Ando-est sounding tracks in the game. That one's like a sampler pack of several of his styles all rolled into one.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 05:44 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Sakai:
I see.
I prepared to do it, but that preparation was shaken about three days later.
Until the second day I'd been really busy checking the studio, contacting the mixers and deciding on the orchestra members, so I hadn't analyzed Andou's songs at all.
And then, once I looked at his songs, the tempo was amazing.
The tempo would completely change by the measure or even by the note.
I thought that was a bit problematic, so I called Andou to protest. (laughs)
To explain with an example, it's impossible to change the speed of a car from 150km/h to 120km/h the instant it crosses a line.
Starting to slowly decelerate earlier, and then being at 120km/h when you cross the line can be done.
But Andou's music would demand those sudden changes of speed from human musicians, and I thought it'd be completely impossible.
dying from laughter
Old Jun 11, 2015, 01:59 AM

... ... ... ... ... ... .. .. .. .. .. . . . .

Last edited by Guitarist500; Aug 24, 2016 at 12:31 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 03:16 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Not entirely sure which track you mean, but thanks to the orchestra CD and the web interview, we know who wrote all the songs you MIGHT mean

Shogo Sakai:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=witvUes32B4 - Opening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbOqFrTrFR0 - Menu 2

Hirokazu Ando:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2Ax21yobJ0 - Menu 1
Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:28 PM
Trusted Editor

I think he meant the opening song, which Sakai wrote.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 10:14 AM

We gotta add "The Fountain of Dreams" arranged by Tadashi Ikegami to the Melee breakdown (that song is available in the Dream Land 64 DLC for Smash Wii U).
Old Nov 11, 2015, 01:31 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Sweet.

The in-game arrangement is similar enough to the one on the orchestra CD that Ikegami was pretty much a given for it too, but it's nice to have confirmation!