VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 6, 2015, 10:56 AM

Default LACA-9404~9: Wangan Midnight MAXIMUM TUNE ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK 10th Anniversary Box

This will be epic!
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:21 AM

No Wangan Maxitune 5 OST or 3DX unreleased tracks

>6 CDs

Mhhh.

Last edited by KAI; Mar 6, 2015 at 12:12 PM.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 01:53 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritsukai View Post
No Wangan Maxitune 5 OST or 3DX unreleased tracks
Details are still to be announced, but according to this it will contain some unreleased music.

EDIT: http://www.getchu.com/soft.phtml?id=849348

Last edited by Illidan; Mar 7, 2015 at 06:49 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 08:29 PM

Is it just me or is this missing a lot of music? Something looks off with this tracklist.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistorteDContacT View Post
Is it just me or is this missing a lot of music? Something looks off with this tracklist.
Could be the fact that the way the game soundtracks are broken up is extremely odd - and don't necessarily follow the order of the original soundtrack releases (example: Disc 1 and 2 featuring music from WMMT4 but not in the tracklist order for that release).
Old Jul 14, 2015, 09:00 PM
VGMdb Administrator

For reference, tracklist comes from here: http://www.lantis.jp/release-item2.p...344400d95d7cba

It had a couple typos, but lantis tracklists are usually correct.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 09:10 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Disc 1 Track 11 "There is No Way Out" seems to be from Maxi4, not Maxi5... even though it's grouped in with them.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 09:32 AM

Alright, let's examine this album thoroughly.

Disc 1
01 Entry(Maxi5 Version) 2:41
02 Avatar of Speed 3:02
03 Daystar 4:27
04 Inorganic Soul 5:19
05 Tonight 2:34
06 Dispatcher 2:55
07 Lightning Dance 3:12
08 Give Up or Keep Trying Maxi5 2:23
09 Fallen Angel 4:02
10 Opening Movie BGM

These are from WMMT5. "Opening Movie BGM" is a shortened variation of "Avatar of Speed". The credits on the booklet shows that an "Andrew Choi" provided the vocals for "Tonight", "Fallen Angel" and "Enjoy the Process" (third song from WMMT3). One of these tracks is not like the others, can you guess which? I assume that "Fallen Angel" is a mistake unless Ms. Andrew underwent voice reconstruction surgery specifically for this track (or his voice was autotuned to hell).

High-tier tracks for me: Inorganic Soul and Fallen Angel. Avatar of Speed a close second. Also a very competent "Entry" effort to begin the entire album with, on par with WMMT4's. "Inorganic Soul" - that's a bit redundant. It's like saying wet water.

Then we get to:

11 There is No Way Out

Which is a WMMT4 track that apparently went astray.

Then this track completes the WMMT5 list:

12 Mode Select Maxi5

The rest of disc 1 partially goes through WMMT4 and the rest of Disc 2 completes WMMT4. 27 WMMT4 tracks, same as the standalone OST.

Disc 3
01 Entry(Maxi3DX+ Version) 2:32
02 Select(Maxi3DX+ Version) 1:39
03 Stay Where You Are 3:11
04 Loop of Fortune 7:40
05 Acid Runner Remix 2010 4:01
06 Feel the Passion Remix 2010 3:58
07 Enjoy the Process 4:04
08 Entry(Maxi3DX Version) 1:26
09 Select(Maxi3DX Version) 2:18

Since we're going in reverse chronological order, naturally we begin with WMMT3DX+. "Acid Runner" and "Feel the Passion" here are of course remixes of WMMT1 tunes. But the question remains: which exactly are from DX and which from DX+.

"There's no winner... you just give up or keep trying" - not exactly thought-provoking lyrics but I love it haha. Same with "Stay where you are... it's nice to know that you are there". Cleverly named "Loop of Fortune" comes in as the second-longest track of the album, beating "Phantom of Blue" (WMMT3) but beat by "Blue Blazes" (WMMT1).

The rest of Disc 3 partially goes through plain vanilla WMMT3 and Disc 4 completes it (23 tracks on the standalone OST). Oh, but we get an extra track here, making it 24 tracks: Track 4 "Tutorial". But like "Opening Movie BGM" (WMMT5), it's just a variation of "Midnight Sanctuary", or to be more precise, the middle section.

Disc 5 and 6, consisting of 36 WMMT1+2 tracks differs from the standalone OST of 34. The two extra tracks come in the form of:

10 Stream Of Tears(More Tranced Remix)
18 Blue Blazes SP

Stream of Tears, if you might remember, used to be (or maybe still is) a free downloadable .mp3 from Bandai Namco's (or is it Namco Bandai, goddamn it) official website.

I can't for the life of me, tell the difference between "Blue Blazes SP" and "Blue Blazes". It's interesting because humans are mainly visual creatures (ever played those "spot the difference" picture games?) but when it comes to comparing similar sounding audio, it's quite the challenge. I'll have to defer this mystery to a sound expert who can, explain the difference eloquently using his/her audio vocabulary.

Also, another thing worth mentioning. I don't know if it's just my imagination or not, but Track 6: "Last Utopia" and Track 7: "Holy Land Anthem" now seems to be seamlessly connected to each other better than on the standalone OST. I believe this (the connecting of the two songs) is influenced by gameplay factors so an explanation on exactly how that happens would be helpful from a WMMT gamer.

As far as the music is concerned, it's an A+, 10/10, or SSS or 5 stars out of 5, whatever. Provided of course, you like this style of music or if you're a devoted Yuzo fan. Yuzo never disappoints. You'd expect him or anyone to fumble a bit, especially since we're dealing with sequels and we're dealing with trance, a musical genre that leans towards repetitiveness but somehow Koshiro keeps it fresh. Heck, the repetitiveness is the selling point! As they say, you can't have too much of a good thing.

There is one issue however: if you came to this album from the standalone albums, then the track order change will take some getting used to. Or in my case, I can't. I can't get used to it. Of course, if you're a Wangan Midnight virgin, then this doesn't apply. The other issue is the actual game order. It would make more sense to start with WMMT1 and end with WMMT5. You want to see (hear) the evolution of the WMMT music (e.g. the vocals become more the centerpiece of certain tracks, rather than taking a back seat), the musical story of WMMT, if you will.

Since we're all Wangathered here tomidnight (apologies for the maximum poor attempt of the pun that I tchurned out), how about a personal top 5.

1) Driving Energy (WMMT4) - The definition of repetition. But damn, "it feels so good..." (quoting Paula Terry from another track)
2) Nostalgia (WMMT4) - On the other hand, this track is 5:30 long and doesn't loop, nor is it repetitive (by WMMT standards).
3) Nothing Can Live Forever (WMMT2) - In one word: Intense. Or in two words: Explosive Finale.
4) Atheist On The Highway (WMMT1) - If Driving Energy was designated the repetitive track of WMMT4, then this is for WMMT1. Also worth inclusion for the track title alone.
5) Midnight Sanctuary (WMMT3) - I like how it consists of 4 parts and minimises repetition. Shades of "the game is almost finished" here (I haven't played the games).
Old Jan 25, 2017, 01:16 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by layzee View Post
But the question remains: which exactly are from DX and which from DX+.
It's actually listed in the booklet scans: 1~6 are 3DX+. 7~9 are 3DX. This fits in with the reverse chronological order.

The difference between Maxi2 & Maxi1 seems a bit confusing. The book says all of Discs 5 & 6 are from Maxi2, except for "Blue Blazes SP". However, this includes some tracks labeled "(Maxi1 Version)".

What I think happened is that all of the Maxi1 original tracks went through improved mixing and were included in Maxi2 (this resulted in KICA-1361~2, which are the same versions in this box). This is why they're listed as from "Maxi2", even if some were originally composed for Maxi1. I've actually heard a game rip of Maxi1 and the mixing is inferior to the OST.

Last edited by Kaleb.G; Jan 26, 2017 at 12:04 PM. Reason: link to Maxi1 Special Project
Old Jan 27, 2017, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G View Post
It's actually listed in the booklet scans: 1~6 are 3DX+. 7~9 are 3DX. This fits in with the reverse chronological order.
Yep, I can see that now. My post you were replying to was made in 2015, and the scans were added in 2016 (in case you weren't aware).

Quote:
The difference between Maxi2 & Maxi1 seems a bit confusing. The book says all of Discs 5 & 6 are from Maxi2, except for "Blue Blazes SP". However, this includes some tracks labeled "(Maxi1 Version)".

What I think happened is that all of the Maxi1 original tracks went through improved mixing and were included in Maxi2 (this resulted in KICA-1361~2, which are the same versions in this box). This is why they're listed as from "Maxi2", even if some were originally composed for Maxi1. I've actually heard a game rip of Maxi1 and the mixing is inferior to the OST.
Yep, at first glance, the booklet calling all of the WMMT2 and WMMT1 music "Maxi2 versions" do look confusing but as I speculated in the other thread, the conclusion is probably as thus: First WMMT1 (the game) was released. Then WMMT2 was released (which also includes the WMMT1 music except Yuzo mixed/arranged/remastered (whatever you want to call it) the original WMMT1 music. Then both game's music were released on the WMMT2 soundtrack.

I guess "Blue Blazes SP" (from Maxi1) on this 10th Anniversary album was included just for fun.

Anyway, while I'm in the Wangan mood, I'm going to give WMMT5 DX and DX+ another chance (wasn't all that impressed the first time). Be back with an edit.

Last edited by layzee; Jan 27, 2017 at 06:17 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Anyway, while I'm in the Wangan mood, I'm going to give WMMT5 DX and DX+ another chance (wasn't all that impressed the first time). Be back with an edit.
I gave it another chance and I think I can say that it has grown on me.

My ratings logic:
0/5 (Little to no musical value)
1/5 (I understand the artist's intentions with this song but it's not for me)
2/5 (Might give it a chance every once in a while/bit of an acquired taste)
3/5 (Average/not amazing, but not bad/mainly just background music/non-active listening)
4/5 (Pretty special, will revisit often)
5/5 (Can't stop listening)

WMMT 5DX: Entry (Maxi5DX Version)
My rating: 2~3/5

WMMT 5DX: Fascination
My rating: 4~5/5

WMMT 5DX: Let it Shine
My rating: 4/5

WMMT 5DX: The Race is On

WMMT 5DX: Risky Guy

WMMT 5DX+: Entry (Maxi5DX+ Version)
My rating: 3~4/5

WMMT 5DX+: Drive Me Crazy

WMMT 5DX+: Still Alive
My rating: 2/5

WMMT 5DX+: I Will Follow You

WMMT 5DX+: High-speed Monster

For comparison/reference, my personal clear undisputed 5/5s include "Driving Energy" and "Nostalgia" from WMMT4, "Midnight Sanctuary" from WMMT3, "Atheist On The Highway" and "Nothing Can Live Forever" from WMMT1&2.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Alright, let's examine this album thoroughly.
Thank you for this in-depth commenting and the puns (made me laugh). I was just feeling WMMT cravings and came to see what's been discussed here.

I also hadn't realized 5 got it's own OST out now!
Old Sep 14, 2018, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo View Post
Thank you for this in-depth commenting and the puns (made me laugh). I was just feeling WMMT cravings and came to see what's been discussed here.

I also hadn't realized 5 got it's own OST out now!
I too was unaware of the WMMT5 OST's release. 3 months outside my radar, that is madness. Apparently WMMT6 exists too, so I guess that's another thing to look forward to. I wonder if Yuzo can continue to meet his already great standards?
Old Oct 21, 2015, 09:53 AM

soo..... we no more care for how the booklet presents information, we just write it as we want. Did I get that right?
Just wondering about the last edit.

Last edited by RomanticScent; Oct 21, 2015 at 10:22 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 12:56 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanticScent View Post
soo..... we no more care for how the booklet presents information, we just write it as we want. Did I get that right?
Just wondering about the last edit.
No, sticking to the booklet is ok.

I'm assuming the change for Paula Terry from disc 1 to 6 is correct though (going by this http://vgmdb.net/album/105)

Last edited by Illidan; Oct 23, 2015 at 01:03 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 03:56 AM

booklet is incorrect indeed. it is not disc 1, it is disc 6. Paula terry does not sing in disc 1 at all.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 12:36 AM

So Wangan Midnight MAXIMUM TUNE5's Soundtrack is only included in this box, not separately?
Old Jan 26, 2017, 11:58 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Tear View Post
So Wangan Midnight MAXIMUM TUNE5's Soundtrack is only included in this box, not separately?
As far as I know, yes. Unless there was a Maxi5 soundtrack that was not added to VGMdb. Truth be told, Maxi5 has a small number of tracks compared to other games in the series, so it would seem strange to have a standalone OST. Also, the 5 DX and 5 DX+ games are already out. It's possible we may see a Maxi5 OST that includes 5, 5 DX, & 5 DX+, but I'm just speculating.

EDIT: Just searched a few different stores for "Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune" and found no evidence of a Maxi5 soundtrack existing, even though they were selling both the Maxi4 & 10th Anniversary Box soundtracks.

EDIT2: Added store links for this album.

Last edited by Kaleb.G; Jan 26, 2017 at 12:17 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:21 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
It's possible we may see a Maxi5 OST that includes 5, 5 DX, & 5 DX+, but I'm just speculating.
I must be an oracle.

https://vgmdb.net/album/76400
Old Jan 28, 2017, 07:43 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Thanks for the info, layzee! Glad we figured that out. =}
Old Sep 26, 2018, 07:11 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

WMMT6 music is up on YouTube. A whopping 25(-ish) tracks! My favorite is "Move On".
Old Sep 27, 2018, 09:57 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Oh looks like some fellow editors already added the OST: https://vgmdb.net/album/80452