VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 31, 2015, 07:41 AM

Timings in the tracklist I submitted are based on the MP3 version of the album. My rips of the lossless audio tracks show slightly different timings in foobar2k (+1 second on tracks 1, 5 and 8; -1 second on tracks 4, 6 and 10).
Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:23 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furolith View Post
My rips of the lossless audio tracks show slightly different timings in foobar2k (+1 second on tracks 1, 5 and 8; -1 second on tracks 4, 6 and 10).
This release isn't even out yet.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
It was sold in advance at the Final Symphony II concert in Germany this saturday
Old Sep 1, 2015, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
I can confirm all the statements of Furolith. I bought this Blu-ray as well at the Final Symphony II concert in Bonn for 35 €. I don't know if this is important but the MP3 files on the Blu-ray have a Sample rate of 48000 Hz and not the usual 44100 Hz.

Last edited by Vega; Sep 1, 2015 at 02:43 AM.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:40 AM
Trusted Editor

Nice, that's pretty cheap as well (when you compare it to regular import prices). Should get my copy soon as well.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 01:28 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furolith View Post
Timings in the tracklist I submitted are based on the MP3 version of the album. My rips of the lossless audio tracks show slightly different timings in foobar2k (+1 second on tracks 1, 5 and 8; -1 second on tracks 4, 6 and 10).
This is okay when submitting track times for non-CDDA sourced albums like this. As long as it's +/- 1 second it should be accurate enough. Different players will round the times differently, some floor(), some round(). The freedb implementation has a grace check for track times if it can't match by DISCID, which no non-CD source album will have. DISCID can only be calculated on CDDA.

Don't do this for CDDA albums, though. Every single time I buy an album and put it in to rip and it doesn't pick it up on vgmdb freedb it's because someone put in incorrect track times in the album. Like, +/- 5 seconds on some tracks. Either that's a bad mp3 rip or a bad typo but regardless, I wish people would stop updating the database with track times from random mp3 source. Just don't do it if you don't own the CDDA or aren't 100% sure you have a good rip.

Updates to the album:

- Modified track titles and removed the parentheses on all the titles. They're not anywhere in the album.
- Removed the ":" separator for the "Suite Name" I guess you could call it. I don't know how to handle it but I don't think it should be there.
- The single track Suites (except for 1), 6, 10, 11 are "." separated between the series/game name and the title, not " - " separated like the multi-track ones. I don't know why but that's how it is.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 06:56 AM
Trusted Editor

I did some spectral analysis again, with the same SoX configuration as in this post. Turns out that Square-Enix is beginning to improve.

Find the images here.

As one can see there is lots of spectral energy in the domain between 24kHz and 48kHz (the sampling rate of the LPCM track is 96kHz). So this looks like a genuine transfer from the recording master, and not just some upsampling job.

Still one can see some issue which is either due to recording to to resampling (constant energy at around 46kHz).

Good job nonetheless, much better than the previous releases. Haven't looked into the dynamic range yet though...