VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 26, 2011, 02:46 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Tales OSTs are pretty bad when it comes to composer credits, but this one deserves a prize.
They have full liner notes by two "sound staff" dudes, but no names are mentioned anywhere. Bravo.

My guess is Sakuraba in p.05 (he talks about the usual FMV music) and Tamura in 06.

EDIT: random info.
Missing tracks:
- "Day break" (inn jingle, also in ToD).
- "Heat Wave" (this was for certain bosses in ToD PS, was replaced by 4.01; found in the game files, don't think it plays anywhere).
- "夢であるように - ピアノアレンジ"/"夢であるように - ピアノアレンジ2": Two arrangements for Yume de aru you ni used in important scenes. These are actually cut from 4.21 so they aren't really new music.
For some reason "Sink into vice" is now shorter (unlike most tracks), pretty plain.
Some track titles were fixed/renamed compared to the sound test (Berglandt > Belcrant, Mysteries Night > Mysterious Night, etc) too.

Also, it may not be well known, but ToP SFC, ToD PS (two tracks), ToP PS and ToD2 had some nifty piano "Sakuraba Solos" (complete with a Sakuraba NPC) that aren't included anywhere. In ToD PS2 he plays 3.29. Shinji Tamura also had a song in ToP PS, and they both appear in Narikiri Dungeon's (GB) secret staff room.

Last edited by Dag; Nov 11, 2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 03:24 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Anonymous liner notes are quite ridiculous, indeed.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 04:37 PM

It's pretty silly to have ti tag these as "Motoi Sakuraba & Shinji Tamura" especially for the so-obviously-Sakuraba tracks....but I'm sure Namco guys sleep easy even when some Amercian has music with the wrong info....

Composers should get credit for their work, it kinda boggles me when they specifcially aren't, especially here....
Old Jun 24, 2013, 04:51 PM
Trusted Editor

Isn't it against site rules to put non-official credits in the notes? (even if we're 100% sure)

Blame should go to Namco for not putting specific credits in the OSTs, not VGMdb.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:54 PM

That's who I was blaming, sorry. When I wrote "especially here" I meant "on an CD of their direct work"
Old Jun 25, 2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraEpon View Post
It's pretty silly to have ti tag these as "Motoi Sakuraba & Shinji Tamura" especially for the so-obviously-Sakuraba tracks....
Technically you'd need to tag them as Namco (for the Tales games developed by Wolfteam) respectively Namco Tales Studio (starting with Symphonia), outside of the game staff rolls the composers were never mentioned as such whenever Tamura was involved. At least starting with Destiny 2 they did actual OSTs instead those funky MIDIs-run-through-random-synthesizers CDs with funny credits ("Game produced by for Namco" will forever be my favourite faux credit).

Someone needs to chat to Tamura about his Tales work sometime.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 02:32 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datschge View Post
Someone needs to chat to Tamura about his Tales work sometime.
Is he even available to be contacted? Tamura and Sakuraba keep an extremely low profile online.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 05:17 PM

Tamura doesn't keep a low profile, he's active on twitter, facebook, blog, youtube etc. etc. But the only Tales piece I ever saw him talk about is "Fighting of the Spirit"...
Old Jun 26, 2013, 05:27 PM
Trusted Editor

?! I could have sworn he wasn't on social media. (I knew about the blog however) thanks for the links.

Last edited by dissident93; Jun 26, 2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 09:48 AM

Someone should ask him then about this Tales work! I haven't a twitter acount so I would do it myself
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:10 AM
VGMdb Advisor

He once blogged about his work Tales music in general, very vague.
I think he can't or doesn't want to talk about that.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 04:38 PM

Do you mean this one?
Old Jun 29, 2013, 01:26 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Oh yeah.

One of the first sentences is more or less "I _can't_ write much in detail about Tales, but..." (and proceeds to talk about how he got involved with wolfteam/tales, and that his Fighting of the Spirit is pretty popular).

Take that as you will!