VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 31, 2011, 06:13 AM

An archived interview that is a bit of a pain to access
http://web.archive.org/web/200304130...i_pdorta.shtml

You can either press the stop button there or read it here.

Saori Kobayashi
Born: July 31 Yokohama City, Kanagawa Japan †
Education: Musashino University of Music, Piano major
First Game Worked on: Inspector Gadget (HUDSON)
Favorite Drink: Japanese Sake
Favorite Food: Italian, Ethnic
Hobbies: Car driving
Influences: Lots of people
Favorite Game(s): AZEL-Panzer Dragoon Saga, Metal Gear Solid, Genso Suikoden, Vandal Hearts
Favorite Movies: Braveheart
Studio Gear: AKAI CD3000XL, Roland XV5050, E-Mu Vintage Keys, etc.
Sound Tools: Logic Audio Platinum

Credits Include:
INSPECTOR GADJET (SNES)
Deep Duck Trouble (GAME GEAR)
Sylvan Tale (GAME GEAR)
Sonic Drift 2 (GAME GEAR)
Let's Make Pro Soccer Team (SEGA SATURN)
AZEL-Panzer Dragoon Saga (SEGA SATURN)
SHADOWGATE 64 (Nintendo 64)

RocketBaby: At what age did you become interested in music?

Saori Kobayashi: I'm not sure. I guess since the day I was born. I was into music before
I realized it.

RB: How did you get started in the game making business?

SK: I used to work as a freelance composer. During that time, a friend of mine in the
music business gave me a job creating game music. In 1993, I got to know the people of SEGA's
sound team, and I had an offer to work with them.

RB: How will Panzer Dragoon: Orta's music be different from the other games in the series?

SK: The big difference is the way music is generated. "Zwei" and "Azel"'s music was
played by the Saturn's sound chip. "Orta"'s music was all recorded in studio.
The music in "Zwei" and "Azel" had imaginary-regional tones, which were coincidentally
made by the Saturn's sound hardware limitations. They gave a distinctive atmospheric
feeling to help making up the Panzer world. So, in the way how music was made,
"Orta" was closer to the first "Panzer Dragoon". But musically, "Orta" was based
on and expanded from "Zwei" and "Azel"'s music.

RB: What was your initial reaction to receiving this assignment?

SK: Personally, I loved the Panzer world, so I felt really honored to work on the
music of the series again.

RB: How do you interact with the director or designer of the game. How do you translate their
musical vision?

SK: I didn't have much time to interact with them. They gave me the story and
backgrounds for each stage, then I imagined how the game will be, and it was
up to me to represent it in a musical way. I guess how the director's vision of the world
and my musical vision match together in the game, is up to the each game player to judge.
But the theme song's structure was made as the director requested.

"I've never worked outside Japan.
Now I'm working freelance again, so I'd love to take offers from overseas."
-Saori Kobayashi 2003

RB: What is your process for creating music?

SK: When I'm not working with PC, I listen to many kinds of music. Then I turn on my
PC and start composing, I try to make a lot of phrases and patterns. Pick the good ones and
arrange them on the sequencer. But good melodies don't come every time I compose.
Sometimes they come easily, sometimes I anguish hours sitting in front of my keyboards.

RB: Can you share some thoughts about working on Azel:Panzer Dragoon?

SK: "Azel" was an RPG and I had to make a lot of tunes. So I came up with a method of making
themes for each of the important characters and backgrounds, then make many variations.
In a way, it was easy to make tunes with this idea. But in other way, the amount of tunes
I had to make were too many, in the end, I thought my composing ability had drained out.

RB: What game genre do you like best for creating music?

SK: I like RPG's. I like games with a deep story line. In fact, any genre of games
with deep story line, whether action or shooting, I'd love to work on.

RB: What advice would you give to those who want to create music for video games?

SK: Listen to many kinds of music. A lot of them.

RB: Any Final thoughts?

SK: Please enjoy the game. Then, please listen to the music. I hope you will find the new way
to enjoy the Panzer world with the music. I feel very lucky to had an opportunity to work on
"Panzer Dragoon Orta". I would like to keep working on projects like this to try expressing my
music.

Translated by Tomonori Sawada

A big thank you to Saori Kobayashi for taking the time to chat. Special thanks to by Tomonori Sawada, Yukifumi Makino, WaveMaster and SEGA.

This site and contents are © 1999-2003 Anthony Farah & Hollow Light Media.
RocketBaby™ is owned by Anthony Farah & Hollow Light Media.
RocketBaby™'s home page image illustrated by Naska Chijoue.
Original RocketBaby™ illustrations realized by Jason Long.
RocketBaby™ created by Anthony Farah.
Site designed by John Mirenzi and Anthony Farah.
Please read our PRIVACY STATEMENT.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Mar 31, 2011 at 06:27 AM.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 09:24 PM
VGMdb Administrator

What game is she credited in as Satoru Kobayashi? That seems like an odd alias for a woman to use.

(and it doesn't appear to be the SMS version of Deep Duck Trouble Starring Donald Duck, the game only lists "S. Kobayashi": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4HsAsMy1D8#t=46m34s)

Sources for alias additions to artist entries would be appreciated in general, per our sourcing policy: https://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5704.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
What game is she credited in as Satoru Kobayashi? That seems like an odd alias for a woman to use.

(and it doesn't appear to be the SMS version of Deep Duck Trouble Starring Donald Duck, the game only lists "S. Kobayashi": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4HsAsMy1D8#t=46m34s)

Sources for alias additions to artist entries would be appreciated in general, per our sourcing policy: https://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5704.
It was indeed Duck Trouble.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/sega-m...d-duck/credits

What I lose in Kobayashi I gain in Nagao.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 12:17 AM

i wonder if she was also responsible for Lucky Dime Caper. the style is somewhat similar.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/lucky-...ng-donald-duck
a game with no credits that has baffled me for many a year.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyubihanyou View Post
I checked the staff credit, and it just lists S. Kobayashi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4HsAsMy1D8#t=2802s

EDIT: Oops, I didn't noticed CHz already posted the exact same link. Nevermind

Last edited by Cedille; Apr 4, 2011 at 12:42 AM.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 01:13 PM

I will ask Ms. Kobayashi about this, as well as any other games we don't know about.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
I will ask Ms. Kobayashi about this, as well as any other games we don't know about.
I know this is probably really late in saying or you probably already planned to ask this and/or did ask this, but could you ask what her "Sound" role in Sonic Drift 2 was? My guess is Sound Effects only because there are completely different sounds between it and Drift 1, such as the race signals at the start of a round and the Result screen.
Old May 11, 2011, 01:39 PM

I received a reply from Ms. Kobayashi.

1. She has always been credited under her real name, so no pseudonyms.

2. When asked about "Satoru Kobayashi" she replied: "I have never met him."

3. For Sonic Drift 2, she only composed music. She did not do sound effects.

4. She did not work on Lucky Dime Caper.

5. When I asked about other SEGA games she has worked on, she hilariously linked to her artist profile here at vgmdb. I think it's safe to say that the following constitutes her full list of works as a composer:

Inspector Gadget (SNES)
Deep Duck Trouble (GAME GEAR)
Sylvan Tale (GAME GEAR)
Sonic Drift 2 (GAME GEAR)
Let's Make Pro Soccer Team (SATURN)
AZEL-Panzer Dragoon Saga (SATURN)
SHADOWGATE 64 (Nintendo 64)
Panzer Dragoon ORTA (Xbox)
Hoshigami Remix (DS)
Hototogisu Ran (PSP)
Kocha-e (original work)
GE-ON-DAN vol.1 (original work)
Old May 11, 2011, 03:11 PM

Great job Jormun.

Looks like I get to have some fun with Drift 2 beyond the Sonic 3 callbacks...
Old May 12, 2011, 05:30 AM

There's a "Sarry" credited on Torarete Tamaruka!? (GG) and Coca Cola Kid (GG).
Old Dec 3, 2011, 07:58 AM

I don't think I can't handle any more excitement this year! Two years ago, when PROJECT DRACO was announced, I made a single wish: please let Saori Kobayashi be the composer!

Kobayashi writes on AKANE's blog that the PROJECT DRACO dev team is made up of many former Panzer Dragoon staff, and that she will be in charge of the music! Can someone verify that I'm reading this right? I feel like I'm dreaming.
Quote:
上の記事にもあるように、このプロジェクトには
かつてのパンツァードラグーンの制作スタッフが集結しています
(おっと・・けして続編ではございません)

そして私も僭越ながら音楽を担当させていただいております
Naturally, Yumiko Takahashi will have her voice used in the game.

Ironically, one of my interview questions for Ms. Kobayashi was going to be about her possible participation in PROJECT DRACO.

http://akanesky.blog.shinobi.jp/
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201109/16050400.html <--some screen caps from the game.

Last edited by Jormungand; Dec 3, 2011 at 08:02 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 01:38 PM

I honestly can't wait, especially if there is going to be a soundtrack release (please?).
Old Jun 19, 2012, 05:27 PM

Ms. Kobayashi reports that she did some music for Super Monkey Ball Banana Splitz:

http://www.supermonkeyball.com/vita/

^May be NSFW, depending on your perspective...

Last edited by Jormungand; Jun 19, 2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Ms. Kobayashi reports that she did some music for Super Monkey Ball Banana Splitz:

http://www.supermonkeyball.com/vita/

^May be NSFW, depending on your perspective...
Yoshitaka Hirota also contributed some music.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Yoshitaka Hirota also contributed some music.
As if I didn't already want the soundtrack enough! I wonder what the chances are for a soundtrack release?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:32 AM

Leaked Crimson Dragon demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0tWhS7hJJA

It's a true Panzer soundtrack, alright. Wild, beautiful, and perpetually in motion.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 07:17 PM

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...gameplay-clips

The music has changed from the original versions, and not in a good way.

The title theme, for example, has been redone, and vocalist Yumiko Takahashi has been entirely replaced (possibly by a generic voice sample, at that).

Though voice overs and sound effects are covering up a lot, much of what I hear doesn't even sound like Kobayashi. The title music and "mission complete" themes are hers, but they are definitely not the original versions. Same with the track heard throughout the first mission: it's based on Kobayashi's original, but it has been substantially watered down, even going so far as to try and replicate unique sound features (like the "whale cry" sound) but turning out a poor imitation. A lot of material was also cut out entirely. Percussion has been changed to more traditional filmy-big-action-drum sounds, and synthesizer instruments have been replaced by strings and brass (and not very artfully).

Something's not right here. It's like they hired someone else for additional (or replacement) music and to arrange the original versions. I was under the impression that Grounding had the game for the duration of Crimson Dragon's delay and subsequent move to the Xbone. It seems highly unlikely that director Yukio Futatsugi would approve a change of composer after Kobayashi delivered a complete score. I can't help but suspect Microsoft meddling in this somehow.

Last edited by Jormungand; Nov 7, 2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 12:20 AM

I would say it definitely sounds like her, but it is striking how little melody there is. The demo sounded great, better than Orta, but the stage theme in this new video isn't up to that level. And that chord sequence making the main motif is rather tired in the action music genre. Let's hope the prettier levels sound like the demo did.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 02:44 PM

It is her music, but I don't think she arranged the versions in these new trailers. I think someone else did. Her originals sound much better.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 08:53 PM

I still think the particular sounds seem really like her. She has a way of doing that Azel/Orta drum sound that I haven't really heard from anyone else. This wouldn't be the first time a great composer has, for whatever reason, come down to the level of generic Hollywood fare. But I'm certainly not ready to give up on the Crimson Dragon soundtrack yet.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 06:10 AM

The sound you hear has been replicated, and poorly. Listen to the original. You can find the Crimson Dragon Side Story rip over at Will of the Ancients.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 01:37 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
It's like they hired someone else for additional (or replacement) music and to arrange the original versions.
According to the digital soundtrack scheduled to be released on Friday along with the game, Jeremy Garren also worked on the music for Crimson Dragon: http://vgmdb.net/album/42790.

The album on Amazon doesn't have a breakdown, and Garren's site (?) was last updated in 2011, so whether he arranged Kobayashi's work as you suspect or did something else is unclear.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 03:55 PM

Thanks CHz.

Well, it's pretty clear Microsoft ordered a westernized soundtrack. I have many, many unkind things I want to write, but I'm not going to.

I hope that Kobayashi releases the real version of the soundtrack on her own or with Grounding's help.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 10:00 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Well, it's pretty clear Microsoft ordered a westernized soundtrack.
I checked with an inside source and so I can't really elaborate on this, but I can tell you that your suspicions about the music team are correct: Saori Kobayashi originally wrote music for the game, and Pyramind/Jeremy Garren was brought in later to reproduce it with that Hollywoodier sound you hear in the final videos. It was probably done at Microsoft's behest, but I can't confirm that 100%.

And of course it's possible that Garren wrote some new music too.

(That's all the info I have; I'm not holding out anything.)
Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:29 AM

Wow, fuck those guys is basically what I have to say. It'd be one thing if Kobayashi was told to make the music that way by those above her in the company and she had to do it, but bringing in somebody afterward to mess with her music is pretty low.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 02:24 PM

Well, the CD soundtrack's out now, and all these suspicions appear to be borne out. Half the tracks are credited to Kobayashi and Jeremy Garren together, and represent conventionally orchestrated, stale approximations of Kobayashi's original tracks, while the other half are the work of Garren alone. Who knows whether his solo tracks represent further additions to the score, or wholesale replacements of Kobayashi's work that we'll never get to hear in any form. I'm incredibly put off by Microsoft's obvious attempt to pander to what they must perceive as "Western taste" by neutering the original score's unique electronic sound, and overwriting the attractive particularities of Kobayashi's personal style with a sterilized, heavy-handed Hollywood factory mold sound.

That said, I might still buy it just to show some support for the game and for Kobayashi. But I'll be holding my nose.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 03:55 PM

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. There are so few opportunities to buy or even hear music from her that I'll put up with it. If it were a lesser composer or someone more prolific perhaps I wouldn't do this.

Could you add the composer breakdown to the album page? I think I'll just buy the ones with her name on them. Wouldn't want them to think I support their other choices.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 07:06 PM

Amazing insight and findings, CHz and Jorm. It's very disappointing that Microsoft had a 'creative' input in this game. Would have been much better as a Sony indie exclusive imo.

This year has been full of disappointments to me. So many generic, boring scores made by film and television composers that are either second-rate or overworked. The scores for the new Call of Duty, Gears of War, Killzone, Resident Evil, and Tom Clancy were especially bad. I'm not usually one to rant on about Western game scores, as there are plenty of talented Western game composers and exceptional scores out there. However, it seems that many developers are willing to sacrifice any progress in favour of emulating the already stale film score industry.

When I've finished becoming Dr. Chris in a few weeks time, rest assured a lot of these scores will be getting the low marks they deserve when reviewed.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 08:07 PM

So, basically, Western scores are mirroring their corresponding games. They want to make films, we get films, with all that entails. They make bad games, we get bad scores.

And if the comments on Crimson Dragon are to be trusted, its music is the perfect companion for the game. Bastardized renditions of Kobayashi's work for a bastardized version of Panzer Dragoon.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 11:29 PM

Lukewarm reviews notwithstanding, I hope there will be enough sales of the game to get that potential RPG-styled sequel. All the reviewers and commenters say they want a game of this type, this just isn't up to the level of quality they expect. I hope the team gets the chance to learn from their mistakes and try again. And keep everyone's hands off Saori Kobayashi's music.