VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jan 11, 2021, 10:28 AM

While this iTunes release only credits Nobuo Uematsu, this soundtrack was entirely arranged by Tsuyoshi Sekito, who also composed the tracks new to these later versions of the game (“Battle Theme A” and “B”, for example).
Old Jan 11, 2021, 06:04 PM

Yeah, that's all accounted for on the entry for the original CD release. Details tend to fall through the cracks on digital versions sometimes.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 04:43 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Speaking of which, the credits for the PS version of the first Final Fantasy title are really lacking, even in Square's official release. The booklet actually doesn't specify who arranged the music for FFI, and Uematsu is only credited as "music supervisor" in the game. The arrangements were most likely handled by TOSE's in-house team, as their composers are credited for the GBA and PSP ports. I assume they were already responsible for the original WonderSwan Color port, which was then ported to PS1 (TOSE was the developer for all these versions).
Old Jan 12, 2021, 07:27 AM

I also think the phrase "using real instruments" is a bit misleading as it's all synthesized, rather than "real" or "live" instruments. I know, it's meant to be a comparison to the original 8-bit music, but still ... they could have written that in a better way.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanasea View Post
Speaking of which, the credits for the PS version of the first Final Fantasy title are really lacking, even in Square's official release. The booklet actually doesn't specify who arranged the music for FFI, and Uematsu is only credited as "music supervisor" in the game. The arrangements were most likely handled by TOSE's in-house team, as their composers are credited for the GBA and PSP ports. I assume they were already responsible for the original WonderSwan Color port, which was then ported to PS1 (TOSE was the developer for all these versions).
I've always wondered about this; do you think TOSE were responsible for the new battle tracks (which of course, are just arrangements of "Battle") and other new music as well?
Old Jan 12, 2021, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanasea View Post
The booklet actually doesn't specify who arranged the music for FFI, and Uematsu is only credited as "music supervisor" in the game. The arrangements were most likely handled by TOSE's in-house team,
VERY interesting. Then why would Sekito have handled FF2's re-arranged tracks?
Old Jan 13, 2021, 04:21 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerG View Post
I've always wondered about this; do you think TOSE were responsible for the new battle tracks (which of course, are just arrangements of "Battle") and other new music as well?
I think so. Besides, if Uematsu had handled it, Square would have definitely made it clear, since he was still their flagship composer. (Early 2000s was the time Uematsu was really busy managing Square Sounds and didn't have much time for composition.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
VERY interesting. Then why would Sekito have handled FF2's re-arranged tracks?
FFII's WonderSwan and PS1 ports were handled by another company, Kan Navi, which probably didn't have an in-house music team, so Square Sounds took care of it.

It's also very likely TOSE's composer team was responsible for the new music and arrangements heard in the PS1 and GBA ports of FFIV, V and VI (as mentioned here: https://vgmdb.net/album/4755 for the GBA versions), such as the PS1 opening and ending cutscenes.