VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 27, 2009, 06:07 PM

So does anyone plan a full translation? It'd be extremely helpful.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 09:07 AM

Yeah it really would, any help would be massively appreciated.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 05:02 AM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 08:19 PM

Much thanks for the finished translation. I was going crazy not knowing what track 21 was called, which is The Wind Blowing at Gepu Cape. They may very well be my favorite tune of M&L3.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 08:57 AM

For me, it's track 24 "Grasslands all the way". That is probably my favorite track from any of the Mario & Luigi games. I love it to death!

I wish that we could post reviews of the CD's when we rate them though. I guess I'll just post my thoughts here.

Originally I rated it 5 stars, but that was over enthusiasm because of the content. Having listened to the whole thing a few times now, I lowered my score to 4, due to some issues I have with the tracks.

First, I am happy with all of the music choices. Since it all had to fit on one disc, they made appropriate cuts and omissions. Sure, I would love OST's for each game, but this is a great compilation. I also like that most of the tracks are from M&LRPG3. In my opinion it has the best music of the 3. Also, I was very happy to find that they included the "Bowser's guts" versions of each of the tracks. I was not sure if that would be included, but I had to smile when I heard them for each of the main area themes.

Now, my issue. The DS tracks sound way too "hissy". I expected that of the Superstar Saga stuff, because it's GBA, and that's a problem with any music from that system. But, especially on the M&LRPG3 tracks, there was almost as much noise as a GBA track. It doesn't even seem to be that bad in the actual game. I don't know why there is so much, and why it couldn't have been cleaned up a bit. That's why I had to lower my score, because I was disappointed in the quality of all of the DS tracks.

Anyway, just one person's opinion, and YMMV.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 04:30 PM

Surugaya says the catalog number is NTD-17189, but I suspect it's a typo of NTDO-17189 (Surugaya hasn't been perfect, as far as I remember).

EDIT: no, it appears the NTD- stem is used by another release and this one is also supported by multiple sites!

Last edited by Cedille; Jun 22, 2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
Surugaya says the catalog number is NTD-17189, but I suspect it's a typo of NTDO-17189 (Surugaya hasn't been perfect, as far as I remember).

EDIT: no, it appears the NTD- stem is used by another release and this one is also supported by multiple sites!
If you look in the inner seal of the disc its states the catalogue number. All Club Nintendo CD releases are like this.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 08:24 PM

If this is Japanese-exclusive, where are the "English American" names from?
Old Apr 5, 2016, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalavinka View Post
If this is Japanese-exclusive, where are the "English American" names from?
I think the "English" tab is for the literal translation from Japanese, and the "English American" tab uses the localized names in the track titles. (It's also possible there might be different names in the North American and PAL versions, but I'm not familiar enough with these games to know for sure.)
Old Apr 5, 2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew View Post
I think the "English" tab is for the literal translation from Japanese, and the "English American" tab uses the localized names in the track titles. (It's also possible there might be different names in the North American and PAL versions, but I'm not familiar enough with these games to know for sure.)
I know stuff like the Mario Kart 8 soundtrack got international releases as promos, but there doesn't seem to be one for this, unless it somehow slipped under the site's radar all these years.

It was actually the tracks not mentioning specific names (like Cavi Cape or Bowser's Castle) that made me wonder (ie. "Grasslands, All the Way" > "Through Thick and Thin at the Plains", or "They're Pretty Tough, Should We be Careful!?" > "Tough Guy Alert!"); a quick Google search only finds Youtube videos, copies of this site or wikis using those names [admittedly inconsistently], and the soundtrack itself doesn't contain translated names for the tracks listed in Japanese.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 01:53 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah, I'm thinking it's not an official tracklist, just an alternate translation that uses localized names.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 12:42 PM

Nintendo of America's localization group Treehouse is known for their playful translations, unlike their European counterpart which are much more verbatim in their translations. That's probably why it's called "English American", though I'd called it "English Treehouse".
Old Apr 6, 2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datschge View Post
Nintendo of America's localization group Treehouse is known for their playful translations, unlike their European counterpart which are much more verbatim in their translations. That's probably why it's called "English American", though I'd called it "English Treehouse".
I wasn't talking about the tone of the translated names, I was talking about their source.

After a bit more research, they apparently come from Smash Bros 4 (presumably sound test or some similar option). I don't play that series, so I'd like someone to confirm if this is true or not. (...would an in-game sound test even be considered a valid tracklist alongside an official, separate release?)
Old Apr 8, 2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalavinka View Post
I wasn't talking about the tone of the translated names, I was talking about their source.

After a bit more research, they apparently come from Smash Bros 4 (presumably sound test or some similar option). I don't play that series, so I'd like someone to confirm if this is true or not. (...would an in-game sound test even be considered a valid tracklist alongside an official, separate release?)
Only "Tough Guy Alert!!" and "The Grand Finale" are used in Smash Bros., and in-game sound tests didn't start in the Mario & Luigi series until Dream Team, so those two tracks are the only ones from this album with any sort of official English translations.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 04:50 AM

Out of curiosity, does Paper Jam have an in-game sound test? (I haven't played it yet myself.)
Old Apr 10, 2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew View Post
Out of curiosity, does Paper Jam have an in-game sound test? (I haven't played it yet myself.)
It does, but you have to beat the game to unlock it, just like Dream Team.

EDIT: I'm surprised this slipped my mind, but "Let's See Your Skills" is reprised in Mario & Luigi Paper Jam, and translated there as "Come On!"

Last edited by Valrahk; Apr 13, 2016 at 05:08 PM.