VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 3, 2016, 07:13 AM
VGMdb Staff

VGMO's article (with information taken from IGN's video) only confirmed details on the composer and the LSO's involvement. Made no mention, as far as I could tell, of whether an official soundtrack release was going to come to pass.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 07:45 AM
VGMdb Staff

Yeah, the soundtracks should be officially announced I believe.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 09:33 AM

My bad. I'm sure there will be an official album release eventually.

Thanks.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 10:03 PM
Trusted Editor

It's been confirmed the limited edition will contain a mini soundtrack download code.

Quote:
【Blu-ray Disc初回限定版について】
 通常版と同じ価格で下記5つのアイテムがついている数量限定商品です。数に限りがございますのでお早めにご 予約ください。
・PS4用ソフトウェア『人喰いの大鷲トリコ』
・BRUTUS編集スペシャルブックレット・スペシャルボックス
・人喰いの大鷲トリコ PS4テーマダウンロードコード
・ミニサウンドトラックダウンロードコード
Old Oct 27, 2016, 07:57 AM
VGMdb Staff

Few more bits of credits info

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/...last-guardian/

Last edited by Jimby; Oct 27, 2016 at 09:04 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 09:19 PM

Are tracklists for Japanese game OST CDs generally announced a little before the actual release? Or will we have to wait until someone gets a copy in the mail to know the tracklist? I ask because I really want to preorder this, but at the same time, I don't want to jump the gun and find out the OST CD is actually truncated, or something like that.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 12:04 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lairfans12 View Post
I ask because I really want to preorder this, but at the same time, I don't want to jump the gun and find out the OST CD is actually truncated, or something like that.
And how do you want to make this decision from the tracklist?
Old Dec 12, 2016, 12:40 AM

If it contains fewer tracks (and has a smaller runtime) than the Composer's Choice Edition, I'll know its been truncated to some degree. Until that information is available, no one will really know for sure.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 12:48 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lairfans12 View Post
If it contains fewer tracks (and has a smaller runtime) than the Composer's Choice Edition, I'll know its been truncated to some degree. Until that information is available, no one will really know for sure.
I disagree. The only source which you can compare against to decide if you get all the music in the game would be a gamerip.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 12:56 PM

I mean truncated as compared to the biggest official album release of the music thus far.

Last edited by lairfans12; Jun 8, 2019 at 07:55 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 04:37 PM
VGMdb Staff

Tracklist added. The first 19 tracks are the same as the Composer's Choice Edition. The last 5 are new.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 02:39 PM

Its only the last 3 tracks that are new. Homeward and The Cage were on the collector's edition soundtrack. So this release is pretty much the Composer's Choice Edition, plus the tracks from the collector's edition soundtrack not included with the Composer's Choice Edition, plus 3 new tracks. In other words, the most complete official release of the game's music.

Last edited by lairfans12; Jun 8, 2019 at 07:53 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 10:00 AM

I know there's no accounting for taste, and I can understand if someone rated this soundtrack a 2.5 or 3. But 1 out of 5 stars is absurd to me.

There are recognizable motifs throughout the score. The performances and solos are good. Most importantly, the soundtrack fits the game's style and mood. A 1 out of 5 star rating denotes that there are no redeeming qualities. Even if you don't like this kind of orchestral soundtrack, you at least have to admit there are positive aspects here.

Last edited by lairfans12; Jun 8, 2019 at 07:51 AM.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 01:16 PM

Well, I didn't score it 1, but this soundtrack is disappointing nonetheless. It's average at best and completely fails to rekindle the fantastic atmosphere of Colossus. Like the rest of the game, unfortunately.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 04:21 PM
Trusted Editor

Updated the notes:
- reformatted the current information based on the layout in the booklet
- added the missing 'Soundtrack Staff' section
Old Jan 21, 2017, 07:08 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Scans incoming, hopefully in 24hrs.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:28 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaminari View Post
Well, I didn't score it 1, but this soundtrack is disappointing nonetheless. It's average at best and completely fails to rekindle the fantastic atmosphere of Colossus. Like the rest of the game, unfortunately.
It doesn't remind me of SotC in most any way at all ... music or game.

In many ways, the music and the game feel more like ICO. Takeshi Furukawa had some big shoes to fill, and it seems to me that he was intentional in taking the game's music in a direction that was less bold/daring as Otani's score, and more pensive and restrained, a la what Michiru Oshima did in ICO.

Granted, there's also a lot of really obvious "film score cue" moments (as he states in the liner notes), such as the opening of "The Tower."

That's my opinion based entirely on just one listen.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:20 AM
VGMdb Advisor

After a few tracks in I thought I was listening to another version of the Meet Joe Black soundtrack. After doing a bit of googling I found that I'm not alone in the assessment that it is in parts very much Thomas Newman "inspired". Since I was really looking forward to this soundtrack, I feel very let down that we're only getting some generic run of the mill hollywood soundtrack. I don't hate it, but meh.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidBeast View Post
Thomas Newman "inspired"
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidBeast View Post
generic run of the mill hollywood soundtrack
Er, pick one.

Personally, I find this soundtrack to be a tremendous accomplishment, and it's my favorite of the 3 "Team Ico/Fumito Ueda" game OSTs. It is very much a "cinematic", film-like score, but unlike the vast majority of game soundtracks that aspire to movie style presentation and cue structuring -and wind up crudely, forgettably aping it- TLG soars on the strength of its particularly thoughtful, emotionally searching composition and masterful command of orchestral texture. The main themes are glorious, the instrumental phrasing throughout is unsettled and constantly surprising, and the harmonic movements so gratifyingly idiosyncratic and resistant to cliche that the score avoids sounding anything like "run of the mill Hollywood" music. The only flaw is that it often does this by sounding a lot like Thomas Newman, borrowing heavily from his gestural and textural vocabulary, which leads to moments that sound like a gifted student's pastiche. Furukawa hasn't fully internalized his heavy Newman influence yet, and wears it about a bit too loosely. But if you're going to model your style on someone directly, you could do a lot worse than choosing one of the greatest film composers of all time, and for a fan of Newman, it's likely the closest we'll ever get to hearing what a game score by him would sound like. Newman's voice is so distinct from Hollywood convention, and his particular veins of compositional thought still so unmined by others, that if Furukawa never goes beyond sounding like a "Newman v.2", I'll still seek his work out.

Anyway, throwing my opinion in here to balance the comments out for anyone on the fence, since I hate to see something I consider a treasure, and one of the best game OSTs of the last several years, go so disregarded.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 05:17 AM
Trusted Editor

I'm also enjoying this album a lot, and I haven't played the game, or any of the games from team Ico. However I own the soundtracks to Ico and SotC. The latter being one of the first live performances of videogame music I experienced. That was back in 2006 during the GC opening concert. I think the track performed was Epilogue ~Those Who Remain~, which moved me to tears (quite unexpected).

This here is neither Ico, nor SoTc, and I think this is good. From the bits of information I know about the game, the artwork and some moving scenes I saw, I have the feeling that the soundtrack is probably a perfect match for the game. And for me it also works outside the game. I'm going to give it some more time, but at the moment I would rank it among the top 5 albums from 2016.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 06:56 AM
VGMdb Staff

I agree. The music lacks melody for the most part, but the detailed, interesting orchestration more than makes up for it. That's something you can't say about generic Hollywood scores.

This score oozes quality. Cinematic, structured, cohesive. The work of a professional composer. It's amazing that this was Furukawa's debut.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramza View Post
Scans incoming, hopefully in 24hrs.
Thanks for the scans - but they're a bit lacking in quality, or definition, for the most part, maybe, too much. I'd have waited til BoneSatyr gets the CD and makes his own scans.. but I'm not sure if VGMDb allows someone to upload better quality scans than existant, so.. nevertheless. I don't want to seem like a dick. Til something of more quality appears, it does the job well. Thank you.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 01:45 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyoBellanote View Post
Thanks for the scans - but they're a bit lacking in quality, or definition, for the most part, maybe, too much. I'd have waited til BoneSatyr gets the CD and makes his own scans.. but I'm not sure if VGMDb allows someone to upload better quality scans than existant, so.. nevertheless. I don't want to seem like a dick. Til something of more quality appears, it does the job well. Thank you.
Well, honestly, you do seem like a dick. And I don't think these scans need to be be switched at all, fine quality for the use they're needed, to see info in the booklet, especially if Ramza doesn't much do post processing and cleaning up (which usually takes time etc.). If ya want stellar quality, you could always buy the album yourself.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 02:48 PM
Trusted Editor

Same here. Scans are meant to back up the album credits, and these ones have enough dpi to properly read everything that is important. VGMdb is not ffshrine's scans archive.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 02:55 PM

What does the FFShrine has to do with this? Because I mentioned BoneSatyr? He doesn't do FFShrine anymore, and he too, upload scans for VGMDB - I just like to have the best quality scans in the page for archival reasons.

I knew I came up as a dick, but oh well. I'm sorry, although it's my opinion, I could've kept it to myself, I'll admit.

On the topic of this album, I just heard this score and I'm going to be giving my view on it tomorrow, on this thread, with a bit detail. So far I like it.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 03:08 PM

Scratch that - giving my first impression of the score now.

Wow. First listen ever, and it's better than I thought it would be. I had the impression that this score/soundtrack would be very minimalist, chamber-like, to go with the very artistic style of the game, that it'd be pretty much just ambient sound, but.. I come to find a very Hollywoodesque movie score, much to my like, because you guys I know love these. This soundtrack has the best of "that style".. impressive melodies that are beautiful to hear, but also give ambient to the game, with lots of catchy orchestra action of the type I like, almost symphonic. Some tracks can sound repetitive, because I think they were composed to be looped with the gameplay (which is not bad) but.. wow, really impressive.. I have a sudden urge to get now.. colour me impressed. I REALLY have a MUST to get this score now.