VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:25 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Default Stuff split from the Yamato thread

I've deactivated this entry. Yamato is special, and should be done right.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 02:21 PM

huh, why deactivating? how is it not done right?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 02:48 PM

(when I think I was demoted from Trusted Editor and you see that sort of shit by an administrator -_-)
Old Mar 20, 2012, 03:09 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Thanks for resolving the issue of this album with Phonograph, Dancey. I've reactivated the album and filled in some of the missing details.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
(when I think I was demoted from Trusted Editor and you see that sort of shit by an administrator -_-)
To avoid so called "shit", one could have provided information on how it's different than similar releases in the note, as well as writing some credits, so that nobody would hesitate to accept poor/confusing entries.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:03 AM

when an administrator wants you (mainly Trusted Editor and above) to provide info you're supposed to check and be sure of its accuracy and the very administrator is unable to check info by himself and deactivate the album without CLEARLY checking
sorry, but some vulgar words came to mind (I was polite when I used "shit" because I thought something more vulgar)

and as I told him in the past (I think it's the reason why I was Un-Trusted Editored)
what's the point of submitting an album with all credits etc. if some staff comes behind in order to check (and with this event, I wonder if it's really the case)
meaning that Trusted Editors are not that Trusted than the term could suggest
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:19 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I'll explain my perspective on all of this.

Ever since we started cataloging anime here, a larger portion of my time on site is spent fixing albums in the moderation queue, especially the ubiquitous vocal albums. So the philosophy of "Secret Squirrel will come along and add tracklists, artists, and scans to my album submissions" is the sole reason that you aren't a trusted editor. How else will I know to look at your new albums if I'm not following you around? I have not been fussy about this for anyone lately, especially for new releases. Yamato is special, and I never want to see an entry for an already-released Yamato album sit for three days with no tracklist. If I don't have time to do it myself, I'll deactivate it until I do.

If you want to discuss further, I can log into IRC tonight.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:49 AM

actually, a feature I wish about submitted albums could have a sort of "remainder"

for example, if you submitted an album on january and you are on march
if you don't browse your submissions or simply don't remember what albums you submitted and missing some info
with that "remainder" option (Submissions >> Album - Cover - "remainder" thing)
you could know what albums need a tracklist or some improvements in basic info

example: lately I browsed some old pages of submissions and saw "tentative" titles
so, I checked internet for editing (you can see those KDSD albums)

it's mainly because I don't remember all stuff I submit that I forget to submit tracklists or scans (but sometimes, I admit I can be a bit lazy especially when an album has too much info -dancey is courageous cf. yamato box)
and also I have to say that sometimes I don't edit because I like even numbers in submissions stats and that bothers me to have uneven numbers

on another note, I didn't refer to you in particular when I say something like "... if some staff comes behind in order to check"
you're welcome to irc (my nick on #vgmdb is child_of_eve, in case)

Last edited by Phonograph; Mar 21, 2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:50 AM
Trusted Editor

Can we split the non Yamato argument into a separate thread so this one isn't sidetracked as its attached to the album?

I try only to make significant edits or contributions to albums I own because I can validate those with my copy. If I dont own it I generally don't touch it unless I have a good understanding of the series, game, artist or something else. Everyone should get in the habit of justifying changes they make in the album threads. It's not really a competition to have the most adds or edits, I'd rather have more conversation and less edits.

I'm sure it's fine for people to crawl the web and add albums if they want but those should be less trusted sources than people who can verifiably backup their information.

coe, I thought you lost trusted editor largely in part because of the fit you threw when I said your track lists left much to be desired (maybe in less nice terms) and then deleted your account. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with your edits but there is definitely something contextually lost when you translate from Japanese to English. My Japanese is not very good at all, as you have seen, but I always ask for help on things I'm not sure about for someone who does know it better. I think everyone should take the same approach and reference someone who understands both source and translated to language before making significant contributions. There are only a handful of contributors to this site who have a really solid understanding of japanese and English AND that put a significant amount of time into accurate submissions and data validation.

It's not a difference of who's a trusted editor or staff or member or guest, it matters that the contributions to the site are qualitative in measure and not quantitative and that you can recognize and accept help in areas that you're not well verses in. For me, it's Japanese language, game and anime series (believe it or not I don't watch anime or play games short of one or two a year tops). But I make sure to make up for it with significantly validated contributions (non standard preferences aside). I think everyone would do well to follow the same principles.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancey View Post

coe, I thought you lost trusted editor largely in part because of the fit you threw when I said your track lists left much to be desired (maybe in less nice terms) and then deleted your account.

huh? deleted my account? I have no idea what you're talking about
Old Mar 24, 2012, 05:57 AM
VGMdb Administrator

So I haven't been able to get the Java IRC app to work, so I will have to talk to Blah about fixing it.

That's a good idea about canned searches that find upcoming albums that are missing info or have tentative titles. We could even make it global so that everyone can help work on all the upcoming albums.