VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 23, 2010, 01:31 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Default Edit History text diff problems

http://vgmdb.net/artist/2746

Compare the current text of the biography with the diff it shows for me. There are several words I removed that it doesn't show as having been removed.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 01:41 PM
VGMdb Administrator

That's why I haven't really publicly promoted the diff viewer. It's just a piece of open-source code I downloaded that provides inline diff capability in php, but it has a lot of quirks, and really fails when presented with a paragraph of text.

I'm open to other options, if you know of a tool that can handle both inline and line-by-line comparisons.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 01:40 AM

I wonder if the current source code even can't provide the line index or offset of where the algorithm thinks the diff exits. If it can, then there is something lacking in our presentation, and if can't, then the algorithm itself has an issue.

Could anybody figure out what Winged Cat and strugglepoo ever did in the respective albums? It's almost kinda playing Where's Wally? in super hell mode...
Old Aug 11, 2013, 04:43 AM
VGMdb Administrator

An edit like that is usually a change in the whitespace, maybe a trailing space or double-space somewhere.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 05:07 AM

The Theatrhythm one was actually easier than thought. The track header of the disc 3 was wrong and thus corrected!

Quote:
Disc 3 ~BMS Disc~
COMPOSED BY Hitoshi Sakimoto
ARRANGED BY Hitoshi Sakimoto
became
Quote:
Disc 3 ~BMS Disc~
COMPOSED BY Hitoshi Sakimoto
ARRANGED BY Hitoshi Sakimoto
Our current algorithm seems to have trouble with such a small correction (another example. Zane changed the 8th track), and it makes moderation really hard.

I think the typical line-to-line comparison view, instead of strike through, would be better if we can change the diff presentation.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 06:34 AM

Heh, I actually noticed that myself and was worried it would be difficult to figure out, or if you had some other staff tool(s) for that process. In the future I will make a post in the thread when it comes to small corrections not showing up.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 05:49 AM

Actually, I've not actually paid much attention to our diff function while knowing it was far from perfect, but nowadays I feel it really hurts not to have a proper edit history viewer for a user submission-based website like us. There is another comparison viewer for admins/staffs, and although it shows both the original and edited texts, it doesn't give any highlight to tell where the difference is and thus it's still lacking. In the longer term, we'll hugely benefit from a little coding work to have a better diff.

I think our diff isn't that bad. It's very quick and comprehensive, in comparison to Wikipedia's crappy one. It claimed "Nobuo Uematsu" and "Uematsu Nobuo" are the same (and for that matter "Nobuo Uematsu Uematsu Uematsu Nobuo" is the same as well), but perhaps it just takes a heuristic approach for the presentation. So, on the condition that the current algorithm gets the shortest edit script, we only have a problem with the presentation that can be vastly improved by two or three steps.
  1. Separate added and deleted characters into different sections, since mixing them in one section is just a mess. In other words, do it like SVN or Github.
    Spoiler:
    Bad:

Good:

2. Replace " " (aka "\x20") by   or something else that styles can apply to , so that trimmed space is always highlighted.
  3. Extract only 3 lines before and after the difference exists (only for notes). If a change is only a few characters in the wall of texts, it doesn't make sense to show the whole text.
    Spoiler:
    Very Bad:

Good:

4. A tab-menu for selecting Album/Tracklist/Scan/Links. Forcing users seeking for tracklist diff to scroll down the album edit history isn't good.

I created a mock viewer from scratch including an O(NP) algorithm to see if I was asking too much at all, and I find that 1) and 2) are pretty easy and requires only a little work (but of course, depended on the current implementation). 3) may require some efforts. 4), while I don't try yet, doesn't look hard. If VGMdb provides. a GET API for edit histories, somebody can host an external service, but nothing beats an official implementation, so I'd just hope it would be pushed onto a task list by any chance.