VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 27, 2009, 05:21 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Upping the thread cause a new feature on vgmdb broke the tagging utility for some albums: The new Barcode/Event (right at the catalog number).

Any album with the barcode (ex: this album) changed the export format and MP3tag does not recognise it.
(when you use the function "convert -> text file - tag", it doesn't apply any change)

Could you fix that ?

I also think this new barcode information does not fit well with the catalog number information.. it's not so useful for tags...
I personally like the catalog # but the barcode is "too much". It should be skipped or something.

Thanks.
Old May 27, 2009, 03:50 PM

Hmm, I was about to take a look at this but it looks like someone removed the barcode number. Or, rather, it's still there in the album data, but it's not being displayed anymore.
Old May 27, 2009, 03:51 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I pulled the barcodes off the page. We'll probably find another way to display those, along with other information.
Old May 27, 2009, 03:57 PM

If you change your mind, let me know. Getting it to work in Let's Tag would probably just require a couple of regex tweaks.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 09:15 AM

Zorbfish's cddb/freedb emulation is a great alternative to Let's Tag. In fact, I think it's so good that I'm unsure about doing any additional work on Let's Tag. What do you guys think? Would you still like to see any new features in Let's Tag?

Myrkul, are you still interested in seeing that nfo/txt export feature? I know you can already do something like this in Mp3tag.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:12 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Ah well.. i find myself a bit lonely on this thread, seems like i am the only user of this tool?

Matter is (and i am sure i am not the only one..), i don't know how to use the CDDB/freedb tool.. it's something i never used of my life and i have no idea how it works and what is needed for it.

I mainly use Foobar2000 & Winamp 5.x, nothing else.
But i hardly use any plug-ins.. playing the music is all i ask.

(if someone is willing to make a tutorual to use the CDDB/freedb tool, that would be cool)

I also got a question about it.. it's mainly used to tag freshly ripped albums.. or can it be used to tags already ripped/tagged ones?

I like the combo Let's Tag / MP3tag cause i don't have to search/listen/start my music, it's amazingly fast & effective.

So if you ask about that nfo/txt export tool.. i am (yeah alone again?) still interested about it.
I don't think mp3tag is able to export the note field..
(but hey no problem if you don't want/don't have time to do it!)

While i am at it, recent changes to the database have altered Let's Tag, and the "Search" utility does not work 100% anymore.
I am not sure, but i think you can't search anymore for "partial" text or title.
(ex: if you search for "sonic", it does not find anything)
But it can work if you specify the catalog number (it does not work with "N/A" catalogs..)

Anyway, i understand that you don't want to continue to work on your tool.
There's no problem about it.

It have been helpfull so far, and if it does not work anymore, i'll find something else, no worry.

Old Sep 7, 2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomSnake View Post
Zorbfish's cddb/freedb emulation is a great alternative to Let's Tag. In fact, I think it's so good that I'm unsure about doing any additional work on Let's Tag. What do you guys think? Would you still like to see any new features in Let's Tag?

Myrkul, are you still interested in seeing that nfo/txt export feature? I know you can already do something like this in Mp3tag.
The main problem for me is I don't have .NET (nor do I want it; I'm a Linux user) and anything I'd tag would be vorbis or FLAC instead of MP3 (which by the name MP3tag I am unsure of how much support I'd get for that).

Having said that, I watched the presentation and the app does look nice and easy to use. I don't see any problem with continuing support for people that like it. But, is MP3tag pluggable? I just wanted to give you some ideas, mainly this one:

That is, maybe you could implement Let's Tag directly into a tagging app of some kind? You'd probably change the name or implement it as a differently-named extension/plugin thing, but....hey, just throwing this out there because it would likely remove a lot of unnecessary steps for your users. You could take advantage of both your own and Zorbfish's work. Maybe get the best of both worlds.

Last edited by MAGradio; Sep 7, 2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 08:21 AM

Default Empty list?

I tried this tool, but everytime I get an empty list. Even when entering the direct link to the album - just empty.

I thought it may not work with .net 4.6, so I tried to install .net 3.5, but doesn't seem to work either.

Any ideas?
Old Jul 9, 2017, 08:48 AM

Hey MDA999,

I'm guessing the page layout of VGMdb has changed so much in the past years that Let's Tag can no longer find anything. I stopped supporting the tool ages ago so unless you're interested in fixing it yourself (the source is available here) you're out of luck.

I strongly recommend using VGMdb's official CDDB/freedb support for your tagging needs instead.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 06:40 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Like PhantomSnake said, most of the users are using CDDB/freedb nowadays.

But Let's tag is still working for me and i am still using it in conjunction with Mp3tag.
Last version of the program seems broken... i am using version 0.1.1.0 which i uploaded here if anyone is searching for it.
Thanks again for the wonderful tool

Here's how i personally do it, you can personalise the tag strings differently of course.

The format string i am using for the "Tag -> Filename" on Mp3tag is the following one:
$replace($num(%track%,2) - %title%,: ,- ,:, - ,",'''',/,~,?,?,<,[,>,],*,-,|,-)
Again, this is highly personalisable.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 05:19 PM

Hey Myrkul! It's been a while.. haha. It's nice to know someone's still using this thing!

It's interesting that the older version still works when the latest one doesn't. Btw, you can find all versions of Let's Tag here:
http://brinkoftime.net/software/Let%27s%20Tag/

Or, well, you can now. That folder was previously forbidden.

Also, just for fun, I've thrown the code up on GitHub. You can find that here:
https://github.com/tomvoros/lets-tag
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:04 AM

After putting Let's Tag on GitHub I felt like I should fix it up a bit. So, after 8 years, I'm excited to release Let's Tag v0.2.2!

This version is purely a compatibility fix for the latest site changes on vgmdb.net. There are no new features. However, now that it's on GitHub if anyone wants to fork it and add some exciting new features I'd be happy to merge the changes in!

You can find the new release and other info at:
https://github.com/tomvoros/lets-tag
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:42 AM

I just downloaded this today. Works great. Much appreciated PhantomSnake!
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomSnake View Post
After putting Let's Tag on GitHub I felt like I should fix it up a bit. So, after 8 years, I'm excited to release Let's Tag v0.2.2!
Just wanted to drop you a thanks for this tool. I'm using the command line version in conjunction with my own little utility I wrote to edit cue sheets.

I'm OCD about ripping my music with every last bit preserved properly, so I use EAC's rip to image + cue sheet function.

My app loads the cue sheet in a text box and then uses Let's Tag to download the English version into another text box, and swaps the English titles into the Japanese cue sheet. Then I can have just one flac file of the album, but multiple translations
Old Nov 25, 2017, 06:56 PM

Oh hey! I know my reply is extremely late but thanks for the kind words Jormungand and Cellfish.

It's really cool that you're using the command line tool, Cellfish. I wasn't sure anyone would actually use that!
Old Feb 27, 2021, 07:48 PM

this software should be update