VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Nov 27, 2008, 08:45 AM

Default Dictionary.com Translator

Dictionary.com now has a translator:

http://translate.reference.com/

They have a disclaimer, too, but I think I may start using this instead of Babelfish for quick translations. I don't know what software they're using for it. You can either pull up a list of what the word means in many languages (this is generally at the bottom of the old definition pages) or type in a word and translate.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 05:05 PM
Banned

i try it on a certain japanese word but it doesn't work...am always looking for a transtalor that can translate any languages...especially korean and japanese.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 01:43 AM

It works fine with Japanese for me. You will need to use Japanese characters though. Same with Google Translate and that Excite (?) translator. Results usually vary, so I alternate between them.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 06:48 AM

It says "powered by Google" so it's most certainly just Google translator behind this service.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 06:57 AM

Location: Heaven? No no, what's that other place that starts with H? Oh yes, home. :-)

I use Google Translate quite often for Chinese and Japanese words but sometimes it fails and translates the complete opposite of what I mean to say. For instance, I wanted to translate the word "awesome" into Chinese and, after translating it back to English, it gave me the word "terrible". This could easily have been misinterpreted or confusing to the recipient if they hadn't known just a little bit of English and therefore understood what I meant to say.

Anyway, I'm always looking for a better translation service.

One man was smart, he felt smart. Two men were smart, they smelt farrr...darn it! I'll never get it right.

What is "the box" that people are supposed to think outside of anyway? Hmm. Maybe it's similar to the Borg from Star Trek who dwelled as a collective hive-mind within a...box/cube. Those that deviated from this hive-mind would, in effect, be thinking outside of the box. it has both a figurative and a literal meaning.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 10:51 AM

Nah,the google translation is working just fine,but it seems that it prefers to go the old way.Like,when gay was a simple adjective :\

Quote:
awesome /ˈɔːsəm/ DJ 发音 /'ɔsəm/ KK

adjective
o
very impressive or very difficult and perhaps rather frightening 令人惊叹的;使人惊惧的;很困难的;难得吓人的
+
an awesome sight 惊人的奇观
+
awesome beauty/power 天仙之美;大得吓人的权力
+
They had an awesome task ahead. 他们就要有十分艰巨的任务。
o
very good, enjoyable, etc. 很好的(或极好玩的等) Ameriacan English informal

Last edited by Cypher; Nov 11, 2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:37 PM
Banned

You will need to use Japanese characters though. Same with Google Translate and that Excite (?) translator.
thanks and good luck
Old Nov 13, 2009, 05:21 AM
VGMdb Administrator

This thread sure is attacting its share of adspambots.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 07:11 AM

Hi! Guys, Thanks for this information, I'm a new member here, so this will help all those mem. who had a trouble in language. this is a nice feature from Dictionary.com
How many language did this translator support?