VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Nov 29, 2014, 01:51 AM

Default Is there a SNES/Super Famicom F-Zero soundtrack?

I need some help. I've searched this site and other places but I've had no luck. Is there a CD that contains all of the original Super Famicom/SNES F-Zero music out there? The original versions, not arranged. The closest thing I've found is the Nintendo Super Famicom Game Music, but that's missing Big Blue, plus Mute City is an arranged version.

I'm aware that if there is one, it's going to be long out of print. I live in Japan right now and would like to track this down if there is such a thing. Thanks for any help!
Old Nov 29, 2014, 02:28 AM

I fear it's the only one, Nintendo isn't known for being ost-friendly
Old Nov 29, 2014, 08:02 AM

Play it Loud! Original Soundtrack Volume 1 has the original sound version of Mute City and Red Canyon. It's also the US printing, so you'd probably have more trouble finding it in Japan. The recording quality's also a bit rough on that CD.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Big Blue is available in its original sound form anywhere.

At this point, the best hope for a full F-Zero original soundtrack release would be if Nintendo gave the Super Famicom an anniversary soundtrack collection like they gave the Famicom. I wouldn't hold your breath on that, though.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 06:51 PM

Thanks for the info. That's unfortunate to hear. It's a bit frustrating actually - it's easier to get Famicom music right now than Super Famicom music despite it being older, just because some Famicom CDs have gotten recent-ish releases that are still in print. Most of the Super Famicom soundtracks I'm interested in either don't have much of a soundtrack (like apparently F-Zero) or they're stupidly expensive (I found the original Super Mario World - it's going to put me out almost $100 if I buy).
Old Nov 30, 2014, 12:42 AM

If you're only after having the soundtrack to listen to, you might want to check out snesmusic.org. It's hard to imagine you would find it in better quality than SPC format.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 02:33 AM
Trusted Editor

Knowing Nintendo, it's more likely they will publish an F-Zero reboot for the Wii U or 3DS than officially release a full SNES soundtrack for the original game. Luckily, things like snesmusic exist to make up for this. :P
Old Dec 23, 2014, 01:04 PM

I bought this album http://vgmdb.net/album/2032
Because it's the only official release with some F-Zero stuff on it.
Decent stuff but obviously not ideal.
Hope it helps.